Paul van Nevel and Huelgas Ensemble

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, November 04, 2017, 11:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

I was looking at the large set, but am not willing to shell out 350 for 15 CDs at this point (probably never in fact!), so I bought the Utopia Triumphans disc on Sony, which has Tallis, Josquin, Ockegehm, et al. I have been enjoying this a lot. I have listened to a fair amount of Josquin's music in the past, but could never really get into it, however, this CD was a bit of an eye-opener. I am not sure whether it is due to his approach, the singers themselves (some of whom have really beautiful voices). I would like to get more of his recordings but there is quite a variety. What are your recommendations? Do you like his approach?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

North Star

These are actually the only two discs I have from the group - rather embarrassing that I haven't got more yet, considering how well I like these - the Dufay is one of my favourite recordings of anything.
[asin]B004IXP5P0[/asin]
[asin]B00D8AIUQ0[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 04, 2017, 11:29:56 AMI was looking at the large set, but am not willing to shell out 350 for 15 CDs at this point (probably never in fact!), so I bought the Utopia Triumphans disc on Sony, which has Tallis, Josquin, Ockegehm, et al. I have been enjoying this a lot. I have listened to a fair amount of Josquin's music in the past, but could never really get into it, however, this CD was a bit of an eye-opener. I am not sure whether it is due to his approach, the singers themselves (some of whom have really beautiful voices). I would like to get more of his recordings but there is quite a variety. What are your recommendations? Do you like his approach?

the Gombert, and possibly the one called Febus Avant. Do I like his approach?  I'm not sure, often no, sometimes yes. It would be interesting to think about what he does a bit more seriously though, maybe your thread will prompt me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Oh I forgot another good one, the Eton Choirbook. I'll check out his Camino CD soon.

He went to prison for pinching some manuscripts, does anyone know what they were, whether he recorded them, why he did it?

Oh and another two more with some nice things on them The Art of the Cigar (good fumeur par fumée), and 40 Voix (good Josquin)

Que

Some favourites besides the ones mentioned:
(Some of the pictures are blurry, but at least they lead you where you need to go....)

[asin]B00000IMZT[/asin]
[asin]B00000270F[/asin]
[asin]B00K1Q3WH6[/asin]
[asin]B00A2CL6SQ[/asin]
[asin]B0000029TA[/asin]
[asin]B0000029VL[/asin]
[asin]B000002BZQ[/asin]
[asin]B0000027W1[/asin]

As you can tell...I'm a fan...  :D

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 04, 2017, 11:29:56 AM
I was looking at the large set, but am not willing to shell out 350 for 15 CDs at this point (probably never in fact!), so I bought the Utopia Triumphans disc on Sony, which has Tallis, Josquin, Ockegehm, et al. I have been enjoying this a lot. I have listened to a fair amount of Josquin's music in the past, but could never really get into it, however, this CD was a bit of an eye-opener. I am not sure whether it is due to his approach, the singers themselves (some of whom have really beautiful voices). I would like to get more of his recordings but there is quite a variety. What are your recommendations? Do you like his approach?

You must listen to The Eton Choirbook, it is very special.

Mandryka

Do you like his approach?

I think (but I'm not sure) that my biggest problem is to do with how he uses instruments and voices together -- I have this feeling that I just don't much like his way of using instruments. This is just a summary of a my memories of reactions, which could be false.

How HIP is he? There are reviews online where people say he fiddles around with the scores to increase dissonances, by flattening notes and even changing key signatures, I gave no idea if it's true and even if it is true it could well be the informed way to read the scores. Though I think not in English music.

Mandryka

Here's an article on his theft story, sordid if true, it looks as though he did it for money, though he claims he's innocent (if he really is victim of a plot he must have made some serious enemies!) I have no idea whether he went to prison in the end

http://www.lesoir.be/archive/recup/%25252Fle-musicologue-belge-avait-vole-des-partitions-rares-a-_t-19940804-Z08DER.html

http://www.lesoir.be/archive/recup/%25252Fle-melomane-nie-etre-kleptomane_t-19940804-Z08DD3.html

Good pic here

Omicron9

I have the big "Secret Labyrinth" Sony box set.  I really like it very much.  I collect a ton of early music CDs, so I'm not saying I like his interpretations better or worse than others, as I like getting various takes on these pieces, for the ones that do have other recordings/versions/performances.  I bought my copy back when it was in print and affordable.  Keep an eye out for it on amazon Marketplace; if you ever see a copy at a decent price, I'd recommend it..

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Que on November 04, 2017, 01:47:07 PM
Some favourites besides the ones mentioned:
(Some of the pictures are blurry, but at least they lead you where you need to go....)

[asin]B00A2CL6SQ[/asin]

Q
I enjoy this one very, very much. Then again, you recommended it! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on November 05, 2017, 12:42:14 AM

Listening to this again tonight, I want to say it again, not just for the performances but also for the music and the sound engineering, this cd is a little miracle.

Having now seen him in action I can say that one impressive thing is that Nevel and his singers are self effacing. They come discretely on, it's dark so you can hardly see them. This modesty was a bit of a surprise, and is, for me, very noble and correct. 

Quote from: Mandryka on November 05, 2017, 12:46:54 AM
I think (but I'm not sure) that my biggest problem is to do with how he uses instruments and voices together -- I have this feeling that I just don't much like his way of using instruments. This is just a summary of a my memories of reactions, which could be false.

The Eton Choirbook is without instruments, but I also listened to some of his Cicconia, and thought it was very good despite the trumpets and stuff. I have a feeling that it's one of those recordings which is excellent but doesn't stand up to comparative listening so well, I could be wrong.

Traverso

This is a new box from a reliable seller.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/A-secret-Labyrinth-Huelgas-Ensemble-Nevel-15-CD-BOX-SET-SONY-SEALED/323339243353?hash=item4b48854f59:g:LQgAAOSw3ZRY9zmC

amw

I currently have the Ciconia, Perugia, Agricola, Huelgas Codex, Richafort, Dufay & an odd piece by Wolfgang Rihm called Et Lux (with string quartet). Nevel tends to be more aggressive with the musica ficta than most early music groups (but performers were generally expected to add it themselves according to the rules of harmonic practice of their day, which I'm not sure he follows), see the Sanctus of Agricola's Missa re fa mi re fa for an extreme example. For me, principally, I like the sound of the singers, and the choice of repertoire (except the Rihm).

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on November 05, 2017, 12:42:14 AM

Agreed!  :)

[asin]B009PXNFQY[/asin]
Q

Mandryka

It's good we have some consensus about the Eton choirbook, I was astonished when I went back to it yesterday.

I've been enjoying this today.

Don't get the wrong impression because of the connotations Pérès and Schmelzer have given to the word "Cypriot" in this context, there's no exotic singing in the style of confréries. Anyway, anyone interested in Ciconia should try it, it's rather good, many sound like Ciconia.

Clearly Nevel is curious about music, and imaginative and bold. In some ways he reminds me of Savall, because of the bredth of interest and also a slight tendency to produce "tourist guide" CDs.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Yes, the EtonChoirbook is indeed great, thanks. I have been listening also to the Dissection d'Un  Homme Armé but have found this harder to enjoy. Not bad at all, just not as compelling as their other recordings. Granted I know virtually nothing of this music.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Traverso on August 18, 2018, 02:36:33 PM
This is a new box from a reliable seller.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/A-secret-Labyrinth-Huelgas-Ensemble-Nevel-15-CD-BOX-SET-SONY-SEALED/323339243353?hash=item4b48854f59:g:LQgAAOSw3ZRY9zmC

Thank you sir! Actually it is still too expensive, as we just got back from three weeks of vacation in Sonoma wine country and the north and central coast (California) and we spent waaaay too much money! (although I am not dumb enough to go into debt for it!)

Mandryka

Although there are other recordings of Pipelare's masses, performances of his songs and motets are rare. This beautifully recorded CD is well worth hearing for that reason alone, the music is characterful.

Mandryka

I have a theory about Huelgas Ensemble. I think they received particularly outstanding sound engineering from DHM around 2015. I first noticed it with Le mystère de malheur me bat.

The only other DHM CDs I've been able to identify from this time period are The Treasures of Claude le Jeune and Mirabile Mysterium. My impression is that the le Jeune is really outstandingly recorded, though maybe not with the realism of Le Mystère  - I haven't had a chance to explore the Christmas recording enough to comment yet - but first impressions are positive.