Which Nocturnes by Chopin

Started by Daimonion, November 15, 2017, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daimonion

I'd like to buy the collection of Chopin's nocturnes as a gift but I don't have any idea about which performer to choose. Could you please give me any suggestion? (If it's any indication of my taste I do like Gould's Goldberg Variations from 1981)

bwv 1080

ComposerOfAvantGarde

There would be many threads to be found in the Great Recordings and Reviews subforum which you can browse as well.

Chopin Nocturnes
The ONE Chopin Nocturnes Cycle to Rule Them All!
Chopin Nocturnes in best possible audio quality
Chopin Recordings

I don't know anything about the taste of the person for whom you are purchasing this gift soooo I don't really know what I could recommend (although my favourite pianist for Chopin is Cortot). Do they prefer historical recordings or more modern ones? Historical performance practice or not?

Daimonion

I am afraid I don't know much about her taste either. I think she is pretty emotional (it is an older person and I guess that the DVD by Chopin may have an emotional value for her). As for Moravec, I think he goes a bit too fast (for my taste) at some moments

amw

I'll still rep Maria Tipo then (who is significantly slower, although some people find her too slow!) and Aldo Ciccolini, but he may be even harder to find these days.

Todd

Pietro de Maria might fit the bill with the info provided.

(Warner needs to issue a Tipo big box.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daimonion

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. What about Maria Joan Pires? I've heard it is a kind of a default choice.

Parsifal

If there is a "standard" choice it might be Arrau or Ashkenazy

[asin]B0000041ND[/asin]

[asin]B0000041L8[/asin]

If you like Gould, perhaps that means objective and unsentimental. Maybe you'd go for Pollini.

[asin]B000B8ISNM[/asin]

Mandryka

Quote from: Daimonion on November 15, 2017, 02:13:31 PM
I am afraid I don't know much about her taste either. I think she is pretty emotional

In that case this is the one to get

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

or

Imho it doesn't get better than these two, all big names past and present included. Both fully available on Youtube, you can sample before deciding.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

king ubu

Arrau it would be for me, had I to pick one.

Moravec is another safe bet I'd say, one more: Maria Joâo Pires on DG.

And I just love Samson François in Chopin, not sure about availability however.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Jo498

Francois is probably easier to get in a 10-disc-box; unfortunately with very variable sound. I would not recommend it as a first/only recording.
For modern/recent sound: Pires.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

king ubu

Quote from: Jo498 on November 15, 2017, 11:36:52 PM
Francois is probably easier to get in a 10-disc-box; unfortunately with very variable sound. I would not recommend it as a first/only recording.

Agreed, that's why I only mentioned him at the end ... and cheers on Pires!  :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Marc

For older ladies ;), I would like to recommend Livia Rév. Her approach is more tender and subtle than many others. Nikita Magaloff also comes to mind; that's an 'oldie' with good analog sound.

I'm not saying that these are my personal favourites, but they might work better for people who want to be moved in a more gentle way, without excessive outbursts.

https://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Nocturnes-Livia-Rev/dp/B000007NE6/?tag=goodmusicguideco

https://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Nocturnes-Nikita-Magaloff/dp/B00HZ9IBSM/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Jo498

Another great oldie in decent stereo is of course Rubinstein (not sure if the Nocturnes are easily available separately, I have the big pink box...).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Marc

Quote from: Jo498 on November 16, 2017, 12:59:22 AM
Another great oldie in decent stereo is of course Rubinstein [...]

Yeah.
With just one 'simple' question, Daimonion seems to have triggered a 100+ pages thread. ;)

Daimonion

Quote from: Marc on November 16, 2017, 01:46:00 AM
Yeah.
With just one 'simple' question, Daimonion seems to have triggered a 100+ pages thread. ;)

I find it an honour to have done so ;-)

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on November 16, 2017, 01:46:00 AM
Yeah.

Did you expect otherwise?  :laugh:
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Marc

We already had 4 pages:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,15721.0.html

Maybe the renowned moderator Que can merge them? Then we only have 96 pages to go. ;)