Which Nocturnes by Chopin

Started by Daimonion, November 15, 2017, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

Listened to the Paik to hear what had polarised opinion. At first the slower tempos seemed to work but after four nocturnes and the disaster of Op 15/1 the sameness of the approach just got boring. Chopin's music has a natural ebb and flow to it that was sadly missing here. This was just syrupy and cloying.
Cheers

Holden

staxomega

I'm going to give Nelson Goerner a try next time I'm in the mood to hear the Nocturnes. Has anyone heard it? Nice work by the graphic artist matching the color of the background to his eyes  :laugh:

(As for my favorites- Arrau, Maria Tipo, Andrzej Wasowski)

staxomega

I listened to Goerner- his playing isn't crystal clear in that he uses a decent amount of pedal to create more of a painted dreamscape. This leads to an overall rich sonority with not the most distinct tonal colors. Any rubato he uses feels unforced and quite natural. He also plays with great dynamic range, but it's restrained and only brought out when called for. Natural is the word I keep coming back to thinking of this as a whole. A highly interesting set, and an easy purchase quickly ordered from Amazon. It has that X factor where after it's finished I'm thinking about playing it again.

Based off what I've heard on this I'm lead to believe his Debussy should be worth checking out.

(removed thoughts Kun Woo Paik, I just need to listen to this more before judging it)

San Antone

I don't think this one has been mentioned:

Roger Woodward.

Very good playing and excellent sound.

staxomega

Exceptional performances from Pascal Amoyel, I believe these will be entering my top tier list. Some pedal noise is noticeable, which is really my only complaint.

George

Arrau remains my favorite set
Other favorites include Moravec (Nonesuch mastering), Wasowski and Ciccolini
I like Smeterlin (Eloquence mastering) and Weissenberg
I kinda like Freire and Tipo
I have heard these, but I don't like them - Simon, Wild, Askenase, Amoyel, Rubinstein (stereo), Francois, Ciani
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on December 04, 2020, 01:04:10 PM
Arrau remains my favorite set
Other favorites include Moravec (Nonesuch mastering), Wasowski and Ciccolini
I like Smeterlin (Eloquence mastering) and Weissenberg
I kinda like Freire and Tipo
I have heard these, but I don't like them - Simon, Wild, Askenase, Amoyel, Rubinstein (stereo), Francois, Ciani
Don't know Arrau's but ++++ for the Morvac!  :D ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Josquin13 on November 16, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
I also like Ashkenazy in the Nocturnes, but he's not everyone's cup of tea.  Ashkenazy tends to play the score to the letter, and some listeners find him too literal or not imaginative enough.  A composer friend of mine likes his Chopin for precisely that reason--that Ashkenazy is ultra attentive to the score.  As for myself, I value Ashkenazy's Chopin, and find it a refreshing alternative to the endless liberties taken by some of the older pianists.  At his best I find Ashkenazy to be more poetic and sensitive than Pollini.  (Btw, Ashkenazy's set is a mixture of analogue and digital recordings, as he didn't initially record the music in one session.)

After listening to Ashkenazy's Nocturnes a few times over the last few weeks, I wanted to open up a discussion about them and how other folks find them.

I know that Josquin reports that he stays close to the score, but his dynamics are more extreme than most. I have to wonder, are that many people reinterpreting the dynamics? Many of Ashkenazy's Nocturne recorings have to be turned up quite loud to get a full piano tone in the beginning, when the music is quiet and by the time we get to some of the climaxes, the volume is loud and bangy. I also found something similar in his Beethoven.

At any rate, I am curious to hear what others think on this. In Ashkenazy's hands, the Noctunres sound more like Ballades. And one other point, his rubato often doesn't make sense, its hard to follow. Almost like he doesn't know the works well enough. 

Mandryka

Re Ashkenazy's rubato in those nocturnes, I have a suggestion. He plays them like Frank Sinatra sings.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George