Dvorak Op 81 Piano Quintet

Started by Holden, November 23, 2017, 12:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

I've got a recording of this by the Julliard/Firkusny which I like but I feel that there could easily be a better recording of this work. What do you like?
Cheers

Holden

amw

or

(the sound is for some reason not as good as on Panocha/Panenka above though)

or

or

amw

You may also wish to trial this new release—I haven't heard it yet.

Jo498

Firkusny/Juilliard is good, maybe a little dry (which also holds for the sound). The piece seems almost indestructible, I have probably heard at least half a dozen and none was weak. Rubinstein/Guarneri is justly famous as are various recordings of Czech quartets (e.g. Smetana) with Czech pianists whose names I forgot. These are all in good analogue sound, not sure about a more recent recording (I have another one in that red Supraphon box Panocha+Pianist).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

I think Czech ensembles have the market locked up on this piece honestly—I have two non-Czech versions (Rubinstein/Guarneri and Pressler/Emerson) but I don't find them competitive to be honest.

That said I find the Hála/Smetana & Luisada/Talich versions to be somewhat too hard driven so it may not be a nationality thing. There may be a satisfactory non-Czech ensemble out there. Who knows. (I have not yet heard, eg, the Leipziger Streichquartett with Zacharias)

milk

I believe this is one uses a period piano.

Spineur

Quote from: amw on November 23, 2017, 01:17:55 AM
You may also wish to trial this new release—I haven't heard it yet.

I have listened to it and it is excellent.  From the recording engineers point of view, I find the sound a bit too bright for my taste.  I have also the Pressler/Quatuor Ebene live recording.  Because of the concert Hall noise, it is not ideal. 

Madiel

As usual, I went with Hyperion and one of the many incarnations of "chamber group with Susan Tomes as pianist".

[asin]B000002ZW6[/asin]
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on November 23, 2017, 12:58:54 AM
I've got a recording of this by the Julliard/Firkusny which I like but I feel that there could easily be a better recording of this work. What do you like?

Above all I like a quirky one, with Richter and the Borodins. That's the one that helped me enjoy something in the music more than all the rest. I have a memory that The Janacek Quartet was very good too.

I've got some concert recordings and LP transfers which you can explore if you want, Leonskaja, Peter Serkin.

I'm not crazy about this quintet so you probably should ignore me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Quote from: amw on November 23, 2017, 01:17:12 AM

or

Without having heard the Pavel Haas yet, those are the two best I've heard.  The secret is the Panocha.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Jo498

Janacek/Bernathova is probably only available in the Janacek Quartet box by Universal. (Their Franck and Shostakovich apparently never appeared on CD.)
There are several with the Smetana; I have Smetana/Pavel Stepan (which I do not remember as "driven") on  a Japanese issue (+Schumann).

[asin]B00007EB9S[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

kyjo

I very much like Pressler and the Emersons (although I know not everyone is a fan of this quartet):

[asin]B000001GLU[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Holden

I didn't realise that Richter had recorded this and with the Borodin's to boot. It will be my first port of call on Spotify. I'l also check out the other recommendations. I really like the last two releases by the Pavel Haas quartet so they will be high on the listening list.
Cheers

Holden

Dancing Divertimentian

I have this one:

[asin]B000PFU8K2[/asin]

And this one:

But my favorite is this one:

Quote from: ørfeo on November 23, 2017, 03:59:23 AM
As usual, I went with Hyperion and one of the many incarnations of "chamber group with Susan Tomes as pianist".

[asin]B000002ZW6[/asin]

Disproving the theory that only Czech ensembles can manage this work.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kyjo

Haefliger/Takács is another great one:

[asin]B00001IVQR[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

The One

Melos Quartet

Curzon/Vienna Octet

Peter Serkin, Schneider et al

Rubinstein/Guarneri

king ubu

if I had to pick one, I guess the one by Richter/Borodin would be my favourite
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Holden

Quote from: king ubu on December 12, 2017, 02:21:14 AM

Yes, I heard it on Spotify and it's excellent. However, based on reviews here and elsewhere I stumped up for the other recording by Richter and the Borodins and it's even better. This is a live stereo recording from 1982 and it's available on the Yedang label. Amazon still has two new copies left if you're interested.
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on December 12, 2017, 09:14:30 AM
Yes, I heard it on Spotify and it's excellent. However, based on reviews here and elsewhere I stumped up for the other recording by Richter and the Borodins and it's even better. This is a live stereo recording from 1982 and it's available on the Yedang label. Amazon still has two new copies left if you're interested.

Such impressive connoisseurship!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

betterthanfine

Quote from: king ubu on December 12, 2017, 02:21:14 AM

I have not listened to this for ages, but remember finding it a bit too slow and a little lifeless at times...

I'm very curious to hear the Pavel Haas with Giltburg, must sample it on Spotify!