Royal Wedding.

Started by vandermolen, November 28, 2017, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I'm shocked (hahaha  8)) that nobody else has started a thread on the forthcoming wedding between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, especially in view of all the transatlantic contacts on this forum. Did we have a 'Royal Family' thread before? Here is your chance to express your views on any aspects of the Royal Family. Speaking personally I would not describe myself as a great royalist but I like the idea of a non political Head of State and have a lot of respect for The Queen. How is this news being covered in the USA, Kyiv, Helsinki, Prague, Delft etcetc?
8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42147412
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Parsifal

Certain news sites are trying to hype it, but I think it is a non-event. Impact about 10% of a Trump tweet.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on November 28, 2017, 06:51:27 AM
Certain news sites are trying to hype it, but I think it is a non-event. Impact about 10% of a Trump tweet.
Thanks!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Romanian TV stations stressed the fact that she's the second American divorcee to enter the British royal family.  :)

On a general note, I wish monarchy were restored in my country, but with an almost dying 94-old former king with no direct male heirs, and with the only collateral male heir having been expelled from succession by obscure intrigues and for a ridiculous reason (he apparently has an illegitimate child --- I can hear all Kings of France, England and Spain up until 19th century laughing their bones out loud in their graves), it seems a sheer impossibility. Not to mention that supporters of a restoration amount to less than 10% of the population.  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on November 28, 2017, 07:31:35 AM
Romanian TV stations stressed the fact that she's the second American divorcee to enter the British royal family.  :)

On a general note, I wish monarchy were restored in my country, but with an almost dying 94-old former king with no direct male heirs, and with the only collateral male heir having been expelled from succession by obscure intrigues and for a ridiculous reason (he apparently has an illegitimate child --- I can hear all Kings of France, England and Spain up until 19th century laughing their bones out loud in their graves), it seems a sheer impossibility. Not to mention that supporters of a restoration amount to less than 10% of the population.  :laugh:

How very interesting - thanks for your response.  :)

I'm hopeful that this royal alliance with this divorced American will be much more successful than the last disastrous alliance with a twice divorced Americal lady. Times have moved on but thank goodness that Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson, with their stupid visit to Hitler, were not on the throne in World War Two. I think that the Duke of Windsor (as he became post-abdication) and Mrs Simpson probably deserved each other. MM has made a much more favourable impression and I'm hopeful that it will be a good match.

kishnevi

Quote from: vandermolen on November 28, 2017, 07:49:17 AM
How very interesting - thanks for your response.  :)

I'm hopeful that this royal alliance with this divorced American will be much more successful than the last disastrous alliance with a twice divorced Americal lady. Times have moved on but thank goodness that Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson, with their stupid visit to Hitler, were not on the throne in World War Two. I think that the Duke of Windsor (as he became post-abdication) and Mrs Simpson probably deserved each other. MM has made a much more favourable impression and I'm hopeful that it will be a good match.

It also helps that Prince Henry of Wales manages to usually put himself across a sensible young man who has done his military duty--and such times that he did not could be excused by the fact that he was, after all, a young man--who, short of some disaster to his brother's brood, will not be in danger of inheriting the throne.  And the traditionalists can target a divorcee who is much closer to the throne,  the Duchess of Cornwall.

Parsifal

Quote from: Florestan on November 28, 2017, 07:31:35 AM

C'mon now. It is clear from one look that Prince Harry did not spring from the loins of Prince Charles, but from Lady Di's riding coach, or body guard, or whomever it was (I forget the details now). He is the offspring of a borderline commoner and a peasant. Marrying an American is a small thing. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 28, 2017, 07:57:19 AM
It also helps that Prince Henry of Wales manages to usually put himself across a sensible young man who has done his military duty--and such times that he did not could be excused by the fact that he was, after all, a young man--who, short of some disaster to his brother's brood, will not be in danger of inheriting the throne.  And the traditionalists can target a divorcee who is much closer to the throne,  the Duchess of Cornwall.
Yes, a good point I think - thanks.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on November 28, 2017, 08:56:41 AM
C'mon now. It is clear from one look that Prince Harry did not spring from the loins of Prince Charles, but from Lady Di's riding coach, or body guard, or whomever it was (I forget the details now). He is the offspring of a borderline commoner and a peasant. Marrying an American is a small thing. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hewitt

Turner

Harry gets positive media descriptions here in Denmark, as a person who is popular and in better contact with real life, thus a necessary renewal of the British institution he represents.

British Royalty isn't a subject of many dinner discussions here however, we're quite busy enough with our own Royalty and some recent problems and events there. Also there is a minority who wants Royalty abolished, of course.

Parsifal

I rather like Prince Harry, but that his doings are of importance to the world at large is an absurdity.

vandermolen

Quote from: Turner on November 28, 2017, 09:25:34 AM
Harry gets positive media descriptions here in Denmark, as a person who is popular and in better contact with real life, thus a necessary renewal of the British institution he represents.

British Royalty isn't a subject of many dinner discussions here however, we're quite busy enough with our own Royalty and some recent problems and events there. Also there is a minority who wants Royalty abolished, of course.

Thank you! I've just been reading about Prince Henrik of Denmark not wanting to be buried next to his wife. It reminded me of my uncle who, having discovered that his wife had arranged for the two of them to be buried next to relatives whom he couldn't stand, told my brother and I that he was 'insisting on an outside position.'

nodogen

I wonder if the maybot (or the tories...) will factor the wedding date into planning for the date of the general election. Be patriotic - love the wedding! Be patriotic - vote tory!
Their best hope, short of a good football tournament.

vandermolen

I didn't want to open 'Pandora's Box' here but maybe it was naïve of me to expect not to.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have been, so far, impressed by Meghan Markle who, despite her sort-of movie star background, seems genuine and nice and maybe a really good thing for the Royal Family here - her charity work, like Prince Harry's, augurs, I think, well for the future. I've noticed that the BBC etc have started to pronounce her surname differently ('Markel' instead of ('Markelee').

Next time I start a new topic I'll make sure that it's not controversial:

'North Korea - The Sunshine State' or something like that.

vandermolen

Quote from: nodogen on November 28, 2017, 12:20:01 PM
I wonder if the maybot (or the tories...) will factor the wedding date into planning for the date of the general election. Be patriotic - love the wedding! Be patriotic - vote tory!

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

nodogen

Quote from: vandermolen on November 28, 2017, 12:20:15 PM

I didn't want to open 'Pandora's Box' here but maybe it was naïve of me to expect not to.

Next time I start a new topic I'll make sure that its not controversial:

'North Korea - The Sunshine State' or something like that.

Start one on Maria Callas 🤐

vandermolen

Que

Quote from: vandermolen on November 28, 2017, 12:20:15 PM

Unfortunately.... ::) 

But let's hope that the young couple will be happy together.  :)

Seems that Harry picked a very nice young woman, who has her heart in the right place.

Maybe royal princes marrying UN advocates is the new fashion....

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on November 28, 2017, 12:46:25 PM
Unfortunately.... ::) 

Maybe royal princes marrying UN advocates is the new fashion....

Q

We can only hope... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: nodogen on November 28, 2017, 12:20:01 PM

The wedding will be sometime in May, exact date to be announced
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-42156565

She's stopping her work with the UN. The article seems to be saying she'll go through the normal process to become a UK citizen.