Royal Wedding.

Started by vandermolen, November 28, 2017, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 20, 2020, 08:03:46 AM
The debate, in the UK at least, has gone beyond Meghan and Harry which at the end of the day who cares. The R word has raised its ugly head and even beyond that, the left right/left divide which has caused not a small uproar. I maintain that Meghan has suffered, but not racism. But of course, I may not be right. An unlikely source, the actor Laurence Fox, has opened up the debate when appearing on "Question Time". The ---- has certainty hit the fan   https://youtu.be/_jhQsp4Ow0A but I don't think it a bad thing to openly discuss.

I totally agree with Laurence Fox on this.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ratliff

Basically, I think Harry witness how his mother was savaged by the press as the royal family stood by and is not willing to allow history to repeat itself. Perhaps in his initial request he wanted to have it both ways, to some extent, but now is willing to accept that if he is out he must be really out of the royal circle. However it seems hard to define how he will completely separate himself from the royal advantages. It is not clear where this is going, but I wish the best of luck to him of luck to him.

Herman

Quote from: Ratliff on January 20, 2020, 11:33:10 PM
Basically, I think Harry witness how his mother was savaged by the press as the royal family stood by and is not willing to allow history to repeat itself.

And then he married an actress, who by definition cannot live without media attention.

It does not make sense.

ritter

Quote from: Herman on January 21, 2020, 05:34:02 AM
And then he married an actress, who by definition cannot live without media attention.

It does not make sense.
Good point!

BTW, why Canada? I would have thought the natural place was the Bahamas.  ::)  >:D

Irons

It does not make sense.

Nail hit on head.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Ratliff

It does not make sense.

I didn't say he isn't stupid. :)

He screwed up, that doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to try to fix it.

mc ukrneal

I don't think he screwed up. And I don't think he has to fix anything. And I don't think it matters what any of us think. I just hope he finds happiness.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 21, 2020, 07:24:44 AM
I don't think it matters what any of us think.

This applies to GMG overall so let's close the forum and get back to our lives.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on January 21, 2020, 07:27:34 AM
This applies to GMG overall so let's close the forum and get back to our lives.  :D
But, but, curses...foiled by my own post! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on January 21, 2020, 07:27:34 AM

Wasn't your New Year's Resolution to only post on musical matters Andrei?

- although personally I'm always interested to read your comments in any section.

;D 8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on January 21, 2020, 08:38:04 AM
Wasn't your New Year's Resolution to only post on musical matters Andrei?

Yeah, it was. But hey, at least for the time being I didn't start, or let myself involved in, any controversy. Fingers crossed.  :D

- although personally I'm always interested to read your comments in any section.

Thanks and likewise.  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

steve ridgway

Any bets on 2020's least popular name for baby girls?  ;)

Ratliff

Quote from: 2dogs on January 21, 2020, 10:48:15 AM
Any bets on 2020's least popular name for baby girls?  ;)

I don't know about the least popular, but I bet Meghan pushes Khaleesi off the most popular list. They're about to become to new Kardashians! :)

It amazes me when I see people from the UK regard the "royals" as anything but a national embarrassment.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ratliff on January 21, 2020, 10:52:35 AM
I don't know about the least popular, but I bet Meghan pushes Khaleesi off the most popular list. They're about to become to new Kardashians! :)

It amazes me when I see people from the UK regard the "royals" as anything but a national embarrassment.

I'm more embarrassed by Boris Johnson.

Ratliff

The new erato

It does not make sense.
What's love got to do with it, to quote Tina Turner....

Irons

Quote from: Ratliff on January 21, 2020, 10:52:35 AM

Good point. First Andrew and now this, embarrassment is right. The Queen is a woman I greatly admire, as for the rest .......
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 22, 2020, 06:37:24 AM
Good point. First Andrew and now this, embarrassment is right. The Queen is a woman I greatly admire, as for the rest .......
+1

Someone described the Harry/Meghan relationship as like a 'holiday romance' which has gone/is going horribly wrong.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2020, 07:10:16 AM
+1

Someone described the Harry/Meghan relationship as like a 'holiday romance' which has gone/is going horribly wrong.

I'm really in no position to judge whether there's love involved or simply a mutual infatuation, but I really do believe that Meghan thought the life of a Royal was a going to be a fairy-tale and being married to Harry was going to be one of the best decisions she's made for herself as she's someone, which Herman pointed out, that loves the spotlight and making everything about her.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2020, 08:13:38 AM
I'm really in no position to judge whether there's love involved or simply a mutual infatuation, but I really do believe that Meghan thought the life of a Royal was a going to be a fairy-tale and being married to Harry was going to be one of the best decisions she's made for herself as she's someone, which Herman pointed out, that loves the spotlight and making everything about her.
Very much agree with you John.