Royal Wedding.

Started by vandermolen, November 28, 2017, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Scarpia on November 28, 2017, 08:56:41 AM
C'mon now. It is clear from one look that Prince Harry did not spring from the loins of Prince Charles, but from Lady Di's riding coach, or body guard, or whomever it was (I forget the details now). He is the offspring of a borderline commoner and a peasant. Marrying an American is a small thing. :)

Perhaps it's my imagination but to me HRH seems to resemble  his great great grandfather George V.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: nodogen on November 28, 2017, 12:20:01 PM
I wonder if the maybot (or the tories...) will factor the wedding date into planning for the date of the general election. Be patriotic - love the wedding! Be patriotic - vote tory!
Their best hope, short of a good football tournament.

That would imply some sort of capacity for forward planning. Their Brexit "strategy" would suggest this may not be their area of expertise.   

vandermolen

Quote from: Que on November 28, 2017, 12:46:25 PM
Unfortunately.... ::) 

But let's hope that the young couple will be happy together.  :)

Seems that Harry picked a very nice young woman, who has her heart in the right place.

Q

I agree. Thanks.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

nodogen

I don't wish to poop at the party, but as she is not British, under the terms of Brexit (as detailed by the Daily Mail) ALL foreigners have got to get out of our country and stop taking our jobs, ruining our infrastructure, destroying our culture and shagging our royals. Just sayin' .

Florestan

Quote from: nodogen on November 29, 2017, 04:27:17 AM
I don't wish to poop at the party, but as she is not British, under the terms of Brexit (as detailed by the Daily Mail) ALL foreigners have got to get out of our country and stop taking our jobs, ruining our infrastructure, destroying our culture and shagging our royals. Just sayin' .

That will indeed restore the purity of that great "nation of shopkeepers"...  :laugh:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

nodogen

Quote from: Florestan on November 29, 2017, 04:31:04 AM
That will indeed restore the purity of that great "nation of shopkeepers"...  :laugh:

Yes! White shopkeepers of course. 🤭

Florestan

Quote from: nodogen on November 29, 2017, 04:40:06 AM
Yes! White shopkeepers of course. 🤭

I haven't even realized that Ms. Markle is half black until some people made a fuss about it here, writing "she's black" as if they wrote "she's lepper". There's nobody's but Harry's business whom he marries, and if you ask me he made an excellent choice, at least in what concerns the physical appearance.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on November 29, 2017, 04:47:48 AM
I haven't even realized that Ms. Markle is half black until some people made a fuss about it here, writing "she's black" as if they wrote "she's lepper". There's nobody's but Harry's business whom he marries, and if you ask me he made an excellent choice, at least in what concerns the physical appearance.  :)

I'm hopeful that it will work out and I see her mixed-race background as a positive. Maybe just what we need here at a time of increasing intolerance and fundamentalism.

You can't accuse me of starting boring threads, can you?

8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 29, 2017, 05:10:47 AM
You can't accuse me of starting boring threads, can you?

Do start one on "The Advantages of a Monarchy over a Republic" and I'll be a regular contributor as well as a redoubtable polemicist.  :D

nodogen

I'm hopeful that it will work out and I see her mixed-race background as a positive.

Hopefully. The royal and the Muslim didn't end well though.

Florestan

I'm hopeful that it will work out

I wish them all the happiness that can be afforded to mortals.

and I see her mixed-race background as a positive.

Harry himself is more than mixed, although not racially but ethnically. I find the obsession with ethnic or racial purity a bloody nonsense (both literally and figurative). I contend that there is no man or woman alive today, nor has it ever been, who is / was ethnically pure --- you and me included: although I am not aware of any ancestor of mine who was not Romanian (and I doubt there was none), the Romanian people itself is the result of an ethnic mixture. Plus: non-Romanians have massively contributed, politically, socially, culturally and economically, to the establishment of modern Romania and its progress ever since 1848.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: nodogen on November 29, 2017, 04:27:17 AM

Is shagging royals still a job over there? Good show then, I need to emigrate to the land of my ancestors!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 29, 2017, 05:53:58 AM
Is shagging royals still a job over there?

I think it's actually royal shagging, and it's more a tradition than a job.  ;D

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on November 29, 2017, 04:47:48 AM
I haven't even realized that Ms. Markle is half black until some people made a fuss about it here,
Me neither. To me she looks very slightly "exotic" but I would have guessed a little oriental (e.g. Lebanese or Persian) admixture rather than African American. Not that it matters, but she is "passing as white" to my eyes.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on November 29, 2017, 06:41:41 AM
To me she looks very slightly "exotic" but I would have guessed a little oriental (e.g. Lebanese or Persian) admixture rather than African American. Not that it matters, but she is "passing as white" to my eyes.

Agreed on all accounts.

pjme

Quote from: Turner on November 28, 2017, 09:25:34 AM
Harry gets positive media descriptions here in Denmark, as a person who is popular and in better contact with real life, thus a necessary renewal of the British institution he represents.

British Royalty isn't a subject of many dinner discussions here however, we're quite busy enough with our own Royalty and some recent problems and events there. Also there is a minority who wants Royalty abolished, of course.

Could be the Belgian attitude.

Btw, will the  Master of the Queen's Music write an anthem, a fanfare or a march? 

P.

Florestan

Quote from: Turner on November 28, 2017, 09:25:34 AM
there is a minority who wants Royalty abolished, of course.

Denmark is often cited as one of the least corrupt, most prosperous and safe countries. If this were true, I doubt monarchy plays no role in it, and if I were Danish I would be cautious of any republican experiment.  :laugh:

nodogen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 29, 2017, 05:53:58 AM
Is shagging royals still a job over there? Good show then, I need to emigrate to the land of my ancestors!  :)

8)

Actually, I'm not sure of the specific protocols. Maybe I'll start a thread on it.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: nodogen on November 29, 2017, 07:39:00 AM
Actually, I'm not sure of the specific protocols. Maybe I'll start a thread on it.

Likely involves no more than asking... privilege and all... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

AnthonyAthletic

Well, we got a day off work for Will and Kate, no Bank Holiday freebie for Harry and Meg, so it's no interest to me 😘 But I do wish them all the best hahahaha.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)