Royal Wedding.

Started by vandermolen, November 28, 2017, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2021, 10:24:27 AM
Nice to hear about your visits to the UK with your dad PD. We don't live very far from Chartwell and my daughter loves going there. We have often met there and, of course, I have to pay for a 'slap-up' lunch (her expression) for her. I have also arranged school trips to both Chartwell and the War Rooms. On my daughter's 30th birthday I took her and her (now ex) American boyfriend to the War Rooms.
The news about Prince Philip is sad but I also heard of a tragedy today which rather puts things in perspective. The 28 year old wife (a medical doctor) of one of my school colleagues died, completely unexpectedly, over night, leaving three very young children (the youngest may not even be two years old). I'm finding Vaughan Williams's 5th Symphony, on the BBC, very appropriate and comforting listening this evening.
I'm so sorry to hear of your colleague's wife's death...how horrible!  I imagine that they will be doing an autopsy...or not?  Were you very close to the couple?  Does he have any family nearby who are willing and able to help raise them?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 09, 2021, 11:16:54 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your colleague's wife's death...how horrible!  I imagine that they will be doing an autopsy...or not?  Were you very close to the couple?  Does he have any family nearby who are willing and able to help raise them?

PD
Thank you PD. I gather that his parents have come down from the North of England to help. I did not know the wife but my colleague and I both share a love of music. He has corresponded with the composer James MacMillan and kindly took me to the premiere of MacMillan's 5th symphony in London a while back.

This is how the BBC and ITV interrupted their programmes this morning. The newscasters must keep black clothes handy for such occasions:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/14596331/bbc-itv-interrupted-programmes-prince-philip-death/
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2021, 11:22:15 AM
Thank you PD. I gather that his parents have come down from the North of England to help (...)

Sorry to hear those sad news. It seems that he has some good colleagues in his working environment, to help him a bit coping with all this, too - whatever the best way for him to handle it will be.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 09, 2021, 11:22:15 AM
Thank you PD. I gather that his parents have come down from the North of England to help. I did not know the wife but my colleague and I both share a love of music. He has corresponded with the composer James MacMillan and kindly took me to the premiere of MacMillan's 5th symphony in London a while back.

This is how the BBC and ITV interrupted their programmes this morning. The newscasters must keep black clothes handy for such occasions:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/14596331/bbc-itv-interrupted-programmes-prince-philip-death/
By the way, for those outside of the UK, I am able to watch the programming (should have checked earlier).  I only noticed this once before (when the vote for Scotland leaving the UK was going on).  Some amazing stories!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2021, 09:18:10 AM
Honesly, I don't understand why Charles is that vilified. Imho he'll be a decent, if not exceptional, king. Harry otoh is an unmitigated disaster and disgrace.

I think the public are growing more understanding with the passage of time but the whole Diana episode rightly or wrongly did him great harm.
As for Harry, I could not agree with you more.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 09, 2021, 01:24:37 PM

I think the public are growing more understanding with the passage of time but the whole Diana episode rightly or wrongly did him great harm.
As for Harry, I could not agree with you more.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Watching Prince Philip's funerals.

I've always thought he was of German origin but to my pleasant surprise I learnt he was a member of the Greek and Danish Royal Houses, baptized in the Orthodox faith. He had multiple family connections to the last Romanian King, whose mother was a Greek princess and whose wife was a Danish princess.

A 73-year long marriage, wow!

May he rest in peace.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Beside the image of the mourning Queen (actually, a wife taking farewell to his 73-year long husband) the most impressive moment for me was that lone bagpiper leaving the church while playing his mournful song. It brought tears in my eyes, not least for recent personal reasons.

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on April 17, 2021, 06:57:26 AM
Beside the image of the mourning Queen (actually, a wife taking farewell to his 73-year long husband) the most impressive moment for me was that lone bagpiper leaving the church while playing his mournful song. It brought tears in my eyes, not least for recent personal reasons.
I can understand that Andrei. It was the most poignant musical moment of the service for me as well. The Queen cut a lonely figures, head bowed on her own.
I liked Prince Philip's musical choices, Holst, Parry, Elgar, Britten etc.
I thought that the whole service was very well done and not too long.

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2021, 02:28:30 PM

Impressive by its austerity and simplicity.

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2021, 02:28:30 PM
I can understand that Andrei. It was the most poignant musical moment of the service for me as well. The Queen cut a lonely figures, head bowed on her own.
I liked Prince Philip's musical choices, Holst, Parry, Elgar, Britten etc.

A very moving service indeed.

I have found the list of works that were played during the service (Britten, Bach, also RVW) but I can't find a list of what was played by the military band beforehand. I recognised Nimrod i think and Jerusalem. Which other ones ? Which Holst did they play ?
Olivier

ritter

Papy Oli

Quote from: ritter on April 18, 2021, 12:38:48 AM
I Vow to Thee, My Country.

Thank you Rafael, and good morning to you.
Olivier

ritter

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 18, 2021, 12:47:52 AM
Thank you Rafael, and good morning to you.
You are welcome, Olivier. And good day to you as well.

André

Quote from: ritter on April 18, 2021, 12:38:48 AM
I Vow to Thee, My Country.

That's our old friend Jupiter, yes?

ritter

Quote from: André on April 18, 2021, 04:43:19 AM
Indeed it is...I didn't know that (I'm not much of a Holstian, quite obviously)...

Irons

Weather wise a beautiful day.

Covid restrictions had the opposite effect to that predicted. Paired down made it more poignant somehow. Brothers are now talking which is how it should be.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 18, 2021, 04:43:19 AM
Yes, Indeed although Holst couldn't stand it in that form.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 18, 2021, 06:53:42 AM
Weather wise a beautiful day.

Covid restrictions had the opposite effect to that predicted. Paired down made it more poignant somehow. Brothers are now talking which is how it should be.
I watched it too here.

Beautiful day; sad occasion.  Music-wise, I liked the choral work that he had had commissioned to Psalm 104....the solitary bagpiper walking slowly away was quite poignant too.  Nice to see all of the different troops there tool

Felt for Her Majesty:  sitting alone and I imagine struggling to get through the service and knowing that at least in this life, she would never see him again.  73 wonderful years together though.  Some consolation--eventually?

And yes, I saw a photo of Harry and William talking to each other...very happy to see that.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

This photo was released by the Countess of Wessex (who took the photo) after Prince Philip died. It is the nicest I have seen of the two of them: