World Cup 2018

Started by kishnevi, December 01, 2017, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Marc on July 11, 2018, 10:41:29 PM
What I miss most in this tournament (and in modern football in general) are the daredevils who aren't afraid to make an individual action to split defenses open. It's all passing passing passing. That's why I'm gonna miss a guy like Eden Hazard next Sunday. He was one of the few exceptions, along with Neymar and Christiano Ronaldo. The latter are also cry babies though, and I don't like that at all.
Of course Messi is a daredevil, too, but not that much when he's playing for Argentina. He doesn't really seem at ease when he's not playing for/with Barça.

Anyway, I think I will 'support' Croatia in the Finale, and Belgium for 3rd place.

I think I'll be supporting Croatia too but I hope that the England reserves win the other, somewhat meaningless, match.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 08, 2018, 08:06:34 AMDecades of national humiliation reversed.
The English nation humiliated? By WHOM?? Were it the Cornish, Welsh, Manx, Scots, Irish, Channel Islanders, or perhaps our naughty Belgian neighbours?  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on July 12, 2018, 02:22:50 AM
The English nation humiliated? By WHOM?? Were it the Cornish, Welsh, Manx, Scots, Irish, Channel Islanders, or perhaps our naughty Belgian neighbours?  ???
Most recently by Iceland
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

eljr

Quote from: Christo on July 12, 2018, 02:22:50 AM

LOL, I had to laugh at you taking his poke semi personal.

England had a great run, good luck vs Belgium.

--------------

Off subject, in the USA we got ride of 3rd place games.

It's a ridiculous competition. A team like Belgium will be so flat and not caring after coming to win the whole thing.
England on the other had will be sky high, happy to have gotten so far and thrilled to have a shot at 3rd. They may well win in spite of Belgium being so much better a team for this reason.

They need to do away with these "unnatural" games.

"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

vandermolen

Quote from: eljr on July 12, 2018, 03:53:18 AM
LOL, I had to laugh at you taking his poke semi personal.

England had a great run, good luck vs Belgium.

--------------

Off subject, in the USA we got ride of 3rd place games.

It's a ridiculous competition. A team like Belgium will be so flat and not caring after coming to win the whole thing.
England on the other had will be sky high, happy to have gotten so far and thrilled to have a shot at 3rd. They may well win in spite of Belgium being so much better a team for this reason.

They need to do away with these "unnatural" games.

The view on 'Breakfast News' (BBC) was split between the game being meaningless and 'Let's go for Bronze'. I suspect that it will be England Reserves v Belgium Reserves.

Love your avatar image by the way!

eljr

Quote from: vandermolen on July 12, 2018, 05:02:53 AM
The view on 'Breakfast News' (BBC) was split between the game being meaningless and 'Let's go for Bronze'. I suspect that it will be England Reserves v Belgium Reserves.

Love your avatar image by the way!

I changed my avatar just this morning.

I have been spending time in the Trump thread and I felt like I was in outer-space.
Philip Glass

Madiel

Quote from: eljr on July 12, 2018, 03:53:18 AM
It's a ridiculous competition.

It's frequently one of the most entertaining games of the tournament.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: eljr on July 12, 2018, 05:37:47 AM

I have been spending time in the Trump thread and I felt like I was in outer-space.

"Open the Pod Bay doors, HAL..."

"Sorry, Dave, I can't do that"

You do realize that more importantly than 3rd place is the necessity to balance the show out with 2 games, a sort of warm-up for the Big Event?  As one of our earlier vice-presidential candidates is quoted as saying "it ain't worth a bucket of warm spit'.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

eljr

Quote from: Madiel on July 12, 2018, 05:45:56 AM
It's frequently one of the most entertaining games of the tournament.

this has been a great set of games!

A wonderful Cup.

I say this in spite of the odious job FIFA does with the game rules and enforcing them.
Philip Glass

Zeus

Croatia to take it.  #GloryToUkraine

But I like France too.  And England, and Belgium.

It's all good.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

amw

Social media thing where people who were rooting for Croatia to beat Russia spouted a lot of Ukrainian anti-Russian nationalist phrases (which in Ukraine itself are mostly heard from neo-nazi paramilitary groups, but never mind). Makes somewhat less sense in the context of Croatia-England. #ErinGoBragh would be better.

(And with Croatia-France coming up presumably: #LaValiseOuLeCerceuil, although given that something like 75% of the French team is of African descent maybe #LeChantDesAfricains would be more appropriate)

André

All the players from « african descent » were born in France. Until what generation will their skin colour define them ?  ::)

vandermolen

Quote from: eljr on July 12, 2018, 05:37:47 AM

One of my favourite films - saw it eight times (as a 12/13 year old) on a the big screen in Leicester Square, London when it came out in 1968.

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 12, 2018, 06:17:28 AM
"Open the Pod Bay doors, HAL..."

"Sorry, Dave, I can't do that"

You do realize that more importantly than 3rd place is the necessity to balance the show out with 2 games, a sort of warm-up for the Big Event?  As one of our earlier vice-presidential candidates is quoted as saying "it ain't worth a bucket of warm spit'.  :)

8)

Douglas Rain, the voice of HAL, is still around - a reclusive Canadian actor who never gives interviews. I guess that Andre might know about him as a fellow Canadian.

Zeus

Quote from: Bubbles on July 12, 2018, 07:18:24 AM
#GloryToUkraine

Quote from: amw on July 12, 2018, 07:47:23 AM
Social media thing where people who were rooting for Croatia to beat Russia spouted a lot of Ukrainian anti-Russian nationalist phrases (which in Ukraine itself are mostly heard from neo-nazi paramilitary groups, but never mind).

Domagoj Vida, one of the Croatian players who earlier played for Dynamo Kyiv, said "slava Ukraina" after the Croatia-Russia match, and since then the Russian media has been beating up on the Croatian team, and on Vida in particular.  Not surprisingly, since then, Vida has gotten boos from the Russian crowd every time he has touched the ball during a game.  One of the Croatian trainers was even sent home to try to quell the controversy, to no effect.

The phrase itself "slava ukraina" is pretty harmless stuff, literally "Glory to Ukraine", but made particularly poignant by recent events in Maidan, and Ukrainian opposition to the Russian invasion of parts of Ukraine.  As for other possible neo-nazi paramilitary groups and their sayings, I cannot say, as they have a fairly marginal role in Ukrainian society – and even less of a role amongst Ukrainian sympathizers elsewhere – despite concerted efforts by Russian media to amplify their significance, and to paint all forms of Ukrainian patriotism (bizarrely) as Neo-Nazi fascism.

In any event, I for one admire Vida's courage, and will cheer for the Croatian team because of it.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

amw

Quote from: André on July 12, 2018, 09:07:02 AM
All the players from « african descent » were born in France. Until what generation will their skin colour define them ?  ::)
Of course they are French, but given that France colonised large parts of Africa and treats its citizens of African descent rather poorly, they might not have particularly positive feelings towards the country of France per se.

Quote from: Bubbles on July 12, 2018, 10:41:24 AM
Domagoj Vida, one of the players who earlier played for Dynamo Kyiv, said "slava Ukraina" after the Croatia-Russia match, and since then the Russian media has been beating up on the Croatian team, and Vida in particular.  Additionally, since then, Vida has gotten boos from the Russian crowd every time he has touched the ball during a game.  One of the Croatian trainers was sent home to try to quell the controversy, to no effect.

The phrase itself "slava ukraina" is pretty harmless stuff, literally "Glory to Ukraine", but made particularly poignant by recent events in Maidan, and the Ukrainian opposition to the Russian invasion of parts of Ukraine.  As for other possibly neo-nazi paramilitary groups and their sayings, I cannot say, as they have a fairly marginal role in Ukrainian society – and even less of a role amongst Ukrainian sympathizers elsewhere – despite concerted efforts by Russian media to amplify their significance and to paint Ukrainian patriotism (bizarrely) as Neo-Nazi fascism.

I admire Vida's courage, and will cheer for the Croatian team because of it.
Downplaying the role of neo-nazi groups in the post-Maidan Ukrainian government is not a great look. The speaker of parliament & several government ministers are affiliated with such groups, which is part of the reason Slava Ukraina has become so much more politically charged than necessary.

Obviously the main reason he said that is just to troll the Russians, which I totally support. Without the Russian invasion of eastern Ukraine & annexation of Crimea all these groups like the Azov Battalion would never have amounted to anything.

Anyway I am 100% behind Croatia and its trolling efforts and hopefully eventual World Cup victory.

Florestan

Go, Croatia, go!

A fantastic team and some fantastic players!

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

amw

They've been amazing this year—a genuine team effort instead of relying on one or two star players. (Not that being a star player seems to mean much anymore given Messi's dreadful performance.) France is apparently a slight favourite but given how many upsets Croatia has pulled off, I'm hoping for one more. Or at least some quality anti-French slogans.

Madiel

At least now I know why Vida kept being booed in the semifinal.