World Cup 2018

Started by kishnevi, December 01, 2017, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Croatia escapes... at least Rakitic and Modric scored the penalty kick in the decisive series.

Florestan

Go, Croatia!

Quote from: Marc on July 01, 2018, 12:16:06 PM
It would be great if a former refugee from Sudan with laceless shoes is going to save Denmark. :)
EDIT: not laceless, my mistake. He just doesn't tie them.

Jeszcze Europe nie zginęła!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Zeus

Hey, that's Polish!

Europa još nije umrla.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Florestan

Quote from: Bubbles on July 01, 2018, 12:52:34 PM
Hey, that's Polish!

I know!  ;D

Europa još nije umrla.

Europa n-a murit! (Romanian)  8) 8) 8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Quote from: Marc on July 01, 2018, 12:47:26 PM
Croatia escapes... at least Rakitic and Modric scored the penalty kick in the decisive series.

All in all Croatias "efforts" didn't impress me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 01, 2018, 03:52:29 PM
All in all Croatias "efforts" didn't impress me.

In a hidden way, that's what I meant to say. I did expect more from them. And I'm convinced they could have done a much better job in this match.

It's a pity that many talented squads are too afraid, cautious or nervous to be themselves in the knock-out series... just because the stakes are 'so high'.
You probably remember the Danish squads of a.o. EC 1984 and WC 1986, and even EC 1992. They just played football the way they wanted to.
As did Brazil and France in 1982 and 1986, and the Dutch team in 1974, 1978 and 1988.
And the Germans from 2006 to 2016.
No fear of losing. Just try to score more goals than your opponent. And if you lose, at least you didn't betray your own spirit.
IMHO, such teams make football attractive.

It's an attitude that has become a rarity in football during the last decades. That's why I'm rooting for the Belgians this year. It seems they have shaken off their 'fears'. But... they still have to play their first knock-out match. Let's wait, see, and keep the fingers crossed.

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 01, 2018, 08:07:20 PM
In a hidden way, that's what I meant to say. I did expect more from them. And I'm convinced they could have done a much better job in this match.

It's a pity that many talented squads are too afraid, cautious or nervous to be themselves in the knock-out series... just because the stakes are 'so high'.
You probably remember the Danish squads of a.o. EC 1984 and WC 1986, and even EC 1992. They just played football the way they wanted to.
As did Brazil and France in 1982 and 1986, and the Dutch team in 1974, 1978 and 1988.
And the Germans from 2006 to 2016.
No fear of losing. Just try to score more goals than your opponent. And if you lose, at least you didn't betray your own spirit.
IMHO, such teams make football attractive.

It's an attitude that has become a rarity in football during the last decades. That's why I'm rooting for the Belgians this year. It seems they have shaken off their 'fears'. But... they still have to play their first knock-out match. Let's wait, see, and keep the fingers crossed.

Agreed on all accounts.

Marc

Another shocker in the making...?

Belgium took it too easy I think, they allowed Japan to build confidence by not disturbing their passing game.
And Carrasco is a weak link IMO... I expected him to be substituted during half time.

On Belgian (and Dutch) telly everyone was already talking about a quarter final between Brazil and Belgium... I fear it's not gonna happen.

Marc

Quote from: Marc on July 02, 2018, 11:16:10 AM
Another shocker in the making...?

Belgium took it too easy I think, they allowed Japan to build confidence by not disturbing their passing game.
And Carrasco is a weak link IMO... I expected him to be substituted during half time.

On Belgian (and Dutch) telly everyone was already talking about a quarter final between Brazil and Belgium... I fear it's not gonna happen.

Japan lost my sympathy with their lazy match against Poland.
Now they play smart and are doing what Belgium should have been doing from the start: early hunting to force mistakes.

OOPS.

Now Belgium is lucky with a header of Jan Vertonghen.

This match could get more and more interesting.

Marc

Quote from: Marc on July 02, 2018, 11:29:03 AM
[...]

This match could get more and more interesting.

WOW.
Fellaini!
They've woken up!

Marc

Great break in the dying seconds.

But I really feel sad for Japan. They were great.

This was a very sympathetic match, with (almost) no dirty fouls.

Thumbs up for both squads.

Zeus

OMG!

At least it was a quick death.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Dima

Dmitriy Masleev (the winner of the last Tchaikovsky piano competition) plays piano transcription of "Football" of Schostakovich.
It was played on concert as bis in support of Russian team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTkUOroGEAk

vandermolen

Quote from: Dima on July 02, 2018, 10:57:04 PM
Dmitriy Masleev (the winner of the last Tchaikovsky piano competition) plays piano transcription of "Football" of Schostakovich.
It was played on concert as bis in support of Russian team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTkUOroGEAk
Yes, Shostakovich was a great football fan.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Marc on July 02, 2018, 11:54:24 AM

Yes, was heartbreaking for Japan - they gave us great pleasure.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 02, 2018, 11:54:24 AM

Yes.

Dima

I think for Belgium it will be easier with Brazil than with Japan, because Brazilians are more showmen.

Marc

Quote from: Dima on July 02, 2018, 11:33:41 PM
I think for Belgium it will be easier with Brazil than with Japan, because Brazilians are more showmen.

OTOH: the shows of guys like cry baby Neymar (pretending to be dying about a dozen times per match) can be very distracting and disturbing, slowing down the game et cetera, and eventually leading to irritation and worse gameplay. Neymar knows that, and he uses it to his advantage. The entire Brazilian squad knows it, too. Other opponents have fallen for those tricks. So the Belgians have to keep their cool.

eljr

Russia looks very good, I am not saying that they are doping.  :-\
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

eljr

I have to comment.
Overall, the game is screaming to be brought into the 21st century.

Other than that, it has been great fun so far. If England loses today, all is right!
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass