World Cup 2018

Started by kishnevi, December 01, 2017, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: springrite on June 26, 2018, 04:13:31 PM
I watch sports for catastrophes. They are far more entertaining than glory.  >:D

Then Germany's loss to South Korea, and their elimination, should have entertained you mightily  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Florestan

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 27, 2018, 12:02:51 PM

Germany has been eliminated, by a team that had not qualified to the next round.  Life is stranger than fiction. Florestan   8) can sleep well tonight.........

Very well, indeed. The "mesmerizing play" has turned into what it really was even at their first match, the one with Mexico: dull, commonplace, uninspired and lethargic. They were a pale shadow of their former self of 4 years ago and their going home is fully deserved.

Now I can hardly wait for Argentina to beat France and Croatia to beat Denmark; there should be official penalties for such blatantly, shamefully non-combat draws as the one between France and Denmark.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

André

My son has always rooted for the mannschaft. Today he switched for the Red Devils  >:D

Zeus

I'm trying to play music for each of the 16 winners/survivors.  Luckily,  most of the countries are pretty easy.

Any recommendations for composers from Colombia or Uruguay?  Preferably downloadable.  And preferably good music.

For Uruguay, the best I can come up with so far is Serebrier – maybe Symphony #2 (?). 

For Colombia, I think I'm gonna go with this:
Guitar Music of Colombia

[asin] B00PO9AFM0[/asin]

Any suggestions?
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Marc

Quote from: André on June 27, 2018, 04:54:55 PM
My son has always rooted for the mannschaft. Today he switched for the Red Devils  >:D

Not a bad switch. ;)
Hope them Belges will keep the good spirit up!

André

They're surprisingly good. My son being half belgian had no qualms about changing allegiances  ;D

Marc

Quote from: André on June 29, 2018, 05:43:37 AM
They're surprisingly good. [...]

I must admit it's not really a surprise to me. This very talented generation already knocked on the door at the Olympics of 2008. I thought that, with all their class acts in their squad, they were behaving too cautious (a Belgian 'disease') in Brazil 2014 (FIFA) and especially France 2016 (UEFA).
Maybe it's their last chance to get to the Finale. I really hope so, because, if the spirit is good, they are able to play great and attractive football, the way Germany did during the last dozen years or so.

Marc

Well, at least Spain deserves the World Cup for ball possession and passing (again).

Marc

Wow.
Germany out. Argentina, Portugal, Spain.

Spain waited until extra time to realize that one has to play forward to score goals.
Too late.

2nd Great Party for the Russians, after the opening match against Saudi Arabia.
The morning after that particular match, they read in the newspapers that taxes were raised and the pensionable age was increased with 5 years.

Putin's team knows when to strike. >:D

Zeus

I'm looking forward to watching this Croatian team play – I haven't seen them yet and they are supposed to have the best midfielders.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Marc

Quote from: Bubbles on July 01, 2018, 09:53:28 AM
I'm looking forward to watching this Croatian team play – I haven't seen them yet and they are supposed to have the best midfielders.

For football's sake Croatia better win.

OTOH: I've always had a soft spot for the Red and White Danish Dynamite.
But with their Norwegian coach Åge Hareide, much of the Dynamite has disappeared. Until now, apart from the odd exceptions, they've been rather boring in this tournament.

After one minute: 1-0 for Danmark!

EDIT: after two minutes: 1-1!

:o

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Marc on July 01, 2018, 08:53:34 AM
Wow.
Germany out. Argentina, Portugal, Spain.

Spain waited until extra time to realize that one has to play forward to score goals.
Too late.

2nd Great Party for the Russians, after the opening match against Saudi Arabia.
The morning after that particular match, they read in the newspapers that taxes were raised and the pensionable age was increased with 5 years.

Putin's team knows when to strike. >:D

Russian players will be allowed to live a bit longer, it seems... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Marc

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 01, 2018, 10:20:29 AM
Russian players will be allowed to live a bit longer, it seems... :D

8)

Vlad will arrange ANYthing.

Btw: Lasse Schöne on the pitch. Hopefully he's able to deliver more decent forward passes for the Danes.

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 01, 2018, 10:00:37 AM
For football's sake Croatia better win.

Agreed but... 75:00 into the game and the perspective is not quite good.  >:(

EDIT: Spain was just a bit --- only just a bit --- better than Germany.  ;D

Go, Belgium!
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Florestan

I really hoped Croatia would crush Denmark!

I was wrong!

Go, Belgium!

Marc

It would be great if a former refugee from Sudan with laceless shoes is going to save Denmark. :)
EDIT: not laceless, my mistake. He just doesn't tie them.

Marc

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 01, 2018, 12:16:06 PM
It would be great if a former refugee from Sudan with laceless shoes is going to save Denmark. :)
EDIT: not laceless, my mistake. He just doesn't tie them.

The Devil may care! I, for one, don't care anymore!  ;D

Marc

Marc

Funny.
Both goalies seem to pick a corner.

So the solution should be: right in the middle. Hard. Without mercy.
And now it's through the middle. Yet with mercy.

What a series.