World Cup 2018

Started by kishnevi, December 01, 2017, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 03, 2018, 01:14:33 PM
WoW! England win....on penalties! The world really is coming to an end!  ??? ::) :laugh:

I am still totally shell-shocked by this. The goalkeeper has had some criticism before now but I thought that he played very well in the match which augured well for the penalties. Had to have several glasses of red wine to calm my nerves down after the match. Long live Harry Kane!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

My brother-in-law lives in Sweden with his Swedish partner and children. This could cause a conflict of interests next Saturday.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

mc ukrneal

Quote from: vandermolen on July 03, 2018, 02:27:37 PM
I am still totally shell-shocked by this. The goalkeeper has had some criticism before now but I thought that he played very well in the match which augured well for the penalties. Had to have several glasses of red wine to calm my nerves down after the match. Long live Harry Kane!
I feel like they've just gotten into their own heads for so long - so nice to see them dispel that. I think they have a good chance in the next match.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

eljr

"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Florestan

Quote from: eljr on July 04, 2018, 03:47:17 AM
With much help of course.

https://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/articles/international/categories/world-cup-2018/radamel-falcao-accuses-referee-of-england-bias/297630

First thing I though of as the matched progressed was that this ref was a Trumpet.

You, sir, are irremediably obsessed.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

mc ukrneal

https://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/articles/international/categories/world-cup-2018/radamel-falcao-accuses-referee-of-england-bias/297630

First thing I though of as the matched progressed was that this ref was a Trumpet.
He's a brass tubed instrument with valves? Is there another meaning I am unfamiliar with?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

NikF

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 04, 2018, 05:01:37 AM
He's a brass tubed instrument with valves? Is there another meaning I am unfamiliar with?

Decades ago it was in popular use in the UK. Example: "Away ye go, ya fu**in' trumpet, ye!" - to suggest someone is an ignorant blowhard, spouting uninformed BS with a dash of blaring smug prig. And I'm sure I've heard it at football matches, aimed at both the referee and linesmen. Having said that, the most popular chant remains "The referee's a wanker".

e: further (and better) example -

Amateur photographer: "I'm going to start work on my autumn series of photos, during which I'll seek to clearly illustrate a firm line indicating the difference between art and commerce"

Pro photographer: "Shut it, ya fu**in' trumpet."

;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

eljr

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 04, 2018, 05:01:37 AM

Trumpet, slang for Trumpist.

A Trumpet/Trumpist is a hateful, vengeful soul who worships an orange deity while claiming white supremacy. The irony is lost on them.
They are know to be highly hypocritical and unwavered by truth. 
There is a sense of entitlement that they feel  has been repressed by main stream and liberal philosophies that embrace the concept that all men are created equal.
One of the note worth hypocrisies they engage in is the bastardization of their own Christian values with new self serving interpretations of bible and their religious tenets.

Hope this helps!
Philip Glass

Florestan

Quote from: eljr on July 04, 2018, 07:04:21 AM
Trumpet, slang for Trumpist.

A Trumpet/Trumpist is a hateful, vengeful soul who worships an orange deity while claiming white supremacy. The irony is lost on them.
They are know to be highly hypocritical and unwavered by truth. 
There is a sense of entitlement that they feel  has been repressed by main stream and liberal philosophies that embrace the concept that all men are created equal.
One of the note worth hypocrisies they engage in is the bastardization of their own Christian values with new self serving interpretations of bible and their religious tenets.

Hope this helps!

What has all this got to do with the World Cup? You, sir, are clearly and positively obsessed.

eljr

Quote from: Florestan on July 04, 2018, 10:16:17 AM
What has all this got to do with the World Cup? You, sir, are clearly and positively obsessed.

The only other time I was so "obsessed" was when Sarah Palin was running for VP. She was another fuircake elevated to levels that put us at risk and was juxtaposed to decent values.
Philip Glass

vandermolen

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 03, 2018, 11:03:13 PM
I feel like they've just gotten into their own heads for so long - so nice to see them dispel that. I think they have a good chance in the next match.

Thanks. I hope so.

vandermolen

I don't think that Colombia deserved to win although I'm biased of course. They committed loads of fouls including one of their officials elbowing one of the England team as they went off for half-time. Definitely a case of sour grapes as far as I'm concerned. The crowd were hostile towards England and, in the circumstances, I think that the England team deserved their victory.

Marc

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2018, 10:24:00 PM
I don't think that Colombia deserved to win although I'm biased of course. They committed loads of fouls including one of their officials elbowing one of the England team as they went off for half-time. Definitely a case of sour grapes as far as I'm concerned. The crowd were hostile towards England and, in the circumstances, I think that the England team deserved their victory.

With matches like these, I just turn the telly off. Waste of time.
Not because of their football talent(s), but because of their behaviour I'm happy that Colombia didn't win this one.

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2018, 10:24:00 PM

Quote from: Marc on July 04, 2018, 11:55:01 PM
With matches like these, I just turn the telly off. Waste of time.
Not because of their football talent(s), but because of their behaviour I'm happy that Colombia didn't win this one.

+ 1.

Florestan

I root for Uruguay, Croatia, Belgium and England (I have an irrational grudge against Sweden ever since they eliminated Romania after penalty kicks at World Cup 1994 and went to semi-finals in our stead  ;D ).

Marc

I can't help myself.

Heja Sverige!

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 05, 2018, 04:08:47 AM
I can't help myself.

Heja Sverige!

If you put it this way...  :laugh:

England is highly competitive, though.

The also have a milder climate, and it shows. Honestly it suits me finer than Sweden's  ;D  :-*

Marc

Quote from: Marc on July 05, 2018, 04:08:47 AM
I can't help myself.

Heja Sverige!

Quote from: Florestan on July 05, 2018, 04:25:40 AM
If you put it this way...  :laugh:

England is highly competitive, though.

The also have a milder climate, and it shows. Honestly it suits me finer than Sweden's  ;D  :-*

I.c. the climate: I prefer the Scandinavian climate. The English climate is depressing. This is already known since the days of Astérix. And remember the Walrus: "Sitting in an English garden, waiting for the sun. If the sun don't come, you get a tan from standing in the English rain."
I.c. Her Majesty's Blonde: you made your point(s). In fact, I am even willing to admit that your Limey's Lady is more stylishly dressed than my Svenska Flicka. She certainly knows how to keep up her appearance (like almost all English ladies, btw).
But of course I was only referring to the music, not to the looks.
I just wanted to make that clear.
(I feel relieved now.)

:)

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 05, 2018, 05:15:03 AM
I.c. the climate: I prefer the Scandinavian climate. The English climate is depressing. This is already known since the days of Astérix. And remember the Walrus: "Sitting in an English garden, waiting for the sun. If the sun don't come, you get a tan from standing in the English rain."

Fair point. Honestly, for a Southerner like me the English climate is jus as bad the Swedish one. The closest I got to it was living in The Netherlands for more than a year, and I just  hated the rain, the rain, the rain, the never, never, never, never ending rain...

I.c. Her Majesty's Blonde: you made your point(s). In fact, I am even willing to admit that your Limey's Lady is more stylishly dressed than my Svenska Flicka. She certainly knows how to keep up her appearance (like almost all English ladies, btw).

Hell, yeah! Do I love this "what you see is what you get" attitude.  :D

But of course I was only referring to the music, not to the looks.
I just wanted to make that clear.
(I feel relieved now.)

:)

|Oh, I'll certainly give you ABBA over Samantha Fox any time of the day. As for me, I prefer Schubert to both.  >:D :P

Just kidding, I actually prefer BZN.  :-*