World Cup 2018

Started by kishnevi, December 01, 2017, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 07, 2018, 12:52:52 PM
Russia - Croatia: insane intensity.

(Earlier today I fell asleep during Sweden - England.)

Конец Фильма.

I'ms sorry to say I can't feel sorry for the Russians.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Well, 2 of my teams won today. Have to be happy about that! Be interesting to see if Croatia can field a team Wednesday, especially in goal. Hard match today!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Marc

Quote from: Florestan on July 07, 2018, 12:55:52 PM
Конец Фильма.

I'ms sorry to say I can't feel sorry for the Russians.  ;D

The Russians fought like lions.
Of the 32 participating countries they were last in the FIFA-rankings. Internal fights, problems with the coach, and bad results in their friendly matches.
In the end, they have performed far better than expected. Of course the support of the home crowd was a plus, but I really did not expect them doing so (relatively) well.

This was the last match in Sochi, wasn't it?
Pity. I liked the Russian speaker/announcer. He would have been excellent as deacon in a Russian-Orthodox service.

Marc

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 07, 2018, 12:59:36 PM
Well, 2 of my teams won today. Have to be happy about that! [...]

Baby, you're a rich man?

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 07, 2018, 01:07:07 PM
The Russians fought like lions.
Of the 32 participating countries they were last in the FIFA-rankings. Internal fights, problems with the coach, and bad results in their friendly matches.
In the end, they have performed far better than expected. Of course the support of the home crowd was a plus, but I really did not expect them doing so (relatively) well.

All true and I didn't either. Were they surely behind Saudi Arabia or Panama in ranking, though?

But think of it this way: a Brazilian first saved and then buried them.  :laugh:

This was the last match in Sochi, wasn't it?

Yes. From now on, only St. Petersburg and Moscow.

Pity. I liked the Russian speaker/announcer. He would have been excellent as deacon in a Russian-Orthodox service.

:D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

eljr

Congrats to England and  Croatia!
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Marc

Quote from: Florestan on July 07, 2018, 01:17:00 PM
All true and I didn't either. Were they surely behind Saudi Arabia or Panama in ranking, though?
[...]

Yeah. Even Japan was behind Panama.
Russia 70, Saudi-Arabia 67, Japan 61, South Korea 57, Panama 55.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on July 07, 2018, 01:30:00 PM
Yeah. Even Japan was behind Panama.
Russia 70, Saudi-Arabia 67, Japan 61, South Korea 57, Panama 55.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

Russia and Japan were far ahead their rankings.

Now, I would just love to see a final Belgium-Croatia but I'm afraid we'll have France-England instead, in which case I'll root for the referee.  :laugh:

Marc

Quote from: Florestan on July 07, 2018, 01:48:21 PM

Now, I would just love to see a final Belgium-Croatia but I'm afraid we'll have France-England instead, in which case I'll root for the referee.  :laugh:

If the ref is Dutch, I might join you. ;)

eljr

Quote from: Florestan on July 07, 2018, 01:48:21 PM

At the end of the first round I thought Belgium looked the best in the tournament along with Portugal and Spain.

After the first elimination round I put Brazil and Belgium as the two best.

Now I must stay with Belgium as they have looked the best to me.

But, it's soccer and more than any other sport the best team does not always win.
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Marc on July 07, 2018, 01:08:55 PM
Baby, you're a rich man?

Oh, dear no! Can't wager on something as unpredictable as futbol! :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vandermolen

Quote from: Marc on July 07, 2018, 12:52:52 PM
Russia - Croatia: insane intensity.

(Earlier today I fell asleep during Sweden - England.)

'Fell asleep.... :o'

I watched the match in a pub in Rye East Sussex, the atmosphere was electric. Decades of national humiliation reversed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on July 08, 2018, 08:06:34 AM
'Fell asleep.... :o'

I watched the match in a pub in Rye East Sussex, the atmosphere was electric. Decades of national humiliation reversed.

That was the Brexit vote.

Marc

Quote from: Ken B on July 08, 2018, 08:55:22 AM
That was the Brexit vote.

Yeah.
And, who knows, a Brexit finale in the making?

BRUXELLES vs ENGLAND, MY ENGLAND?

vandermolen

They should put Gareth Southgate in charge of the Brexit negotiations.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Marc

So far, Belgium is not really able to reach Lukaku.

Chadli should move to the left, he's not at ease.
Hazard more to the centre, De Bruyne to the right.

Marc

Given his play in earlier matches, I doubt it's a good sign to bring Carrasco in to make things better.

Belgium is certainly the most positive and forward thinking squad, but I fear that defensive France is going to outsmart them.

DaveF

Brave little Belgium...

Remarkable statistic mentioned on the BBC: that during the competition they've beaten sides from all 5 of the FIFA confederations: Europe (England), North America (Panama), South America (Brazil), Africa (Tunisia), Asia (Japan).  So really they're world champs already.

Now can we just give the cup to France and go home?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

vandermolen

Heartbreak for England fans last night but Croatia were the stronger team. Sadly with no Argentina, Germany, Brazil and Spain left in the competition England never had a better chance of getting into the World Cup Final.
:-\

Marc

What I miss most in this tournament (and in modern football in general) are the daredevils who aren't afraid to make an individual action to split defenses open. It's all passing passing passing. That's why I'm gonna miss a guy like Eden Hazard next Sunday. He was one of the few exceptions, along with Neymar and Christiano Ronaldo. The latter are also cry babies though, and I don't like that at all.
Of course Messi is a daredevil, too, but not that much when he's playing for Argentina. He doesn't really seem at ease when he's not playing for/with Barça.

Anyway, I think I will 'support' Croatia in the Finale, and Belgium for 3rd place.