Liszt's Dante Sonata

Started by George, August 18, 2007, 12:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DieNacht

QuoteSurely Wild and all the other fire breathers are up too?

My collection of the Dante sonata is a bit random ... I haven´t seen the Earl Wild version on the market here.
Wild was good in his early years, but I am somewhat more hesitant as regards his latest recordings, his Reynaldo Hahn "Le Rossignol" piano works CD seemed absent-minded and this

is indeed somewhat opposed to this:

;)

VonStupp

I have owned the Barenboim on Teldec for some time, but also enjoyed Arcadi Volodos playing Liszt's 'Dante Sonata':

https://www.youtube.com/v/YolpUQd6bD4&ab_channel=JGM
Barenboim

https://www.youtube.com/v/1NT2twqC-DQ&ab_channel=masterofsynapsis
Volodos
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

staxomega

Quote from: Mandryka on December 25, 2010, 09:56:37 AM
Towards the end of the final section of the B minor sonata there is a sequence of nine (I think) chords played rather quietly -- I think this is one of the most beautiful moments in music. The sonata also has a really exciting fugue, an huge intense ecstatic central passage. And the opening is indescribably creepy.

I completely agree with you, the last two movements are sublime, this is one reason I really like Stephen Hough as he plays them very sensitively.

Everyone's played it. I say  Ernst Levy owns this sonata. Richter and Sofronitsky are pretty good too.

Levy is probably my overall favorite.

As you can tell, I'm rather looking forward to the Liszt celebrations next year.

This aged well 8)

As for the "Dante Sonata", Mūza Rubackytė is probably my overall favorite. Chamayou is fantastic, and I need to revisit Piemontesi and Hough.

Maestro267

Just to clarify, is this the last piece from the Italy book of Years of Pilgrimage?

staxomega

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 11, 2022, 04:06:50 AM
Just to clarify, is this the last piece from the Italy book of Years of Pilgrimage?

Yes for the earlier publication of Années.

rachmaninoff

I discovered Liszt' sonata and Dante sonata years ago with a EMI Lp, from 1976....Valery Afanassiev. I winder why this recording never published in a cd. I think Its a great performance ! I own a denon recording with Thibaudet  (in 13' min, faster than Ciccolini )....