Author Topic: Andrej Eshpai (1925 - 2015)  (Read 6693 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Andrej Eshpai (1925 - 2015)
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »
I plan to visit all the symphonies on these days. The no. 9 is not recorded yet I think, or at least I haven't seen any recording of it. Certainly Eshpai's style is very affined to my tastes  :)
Great stuff! I must hunt down more of the symphonies as well. No.2 is my latest very happy discovery.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »
I've played all the 8 recorded symphonies. I'm impressed by this magnificent cycle. There is no any boring symphony, all of them have something to tell. One feature I can feel is a sort of solemnity through many passages on these works, which I find so moving. Also, I've perceived a little Hindemithian influence on the first 3 symphonies, adding an irreverent touch.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2017, 12:22:04 AM »
I've played all the 8 recorded symphonies. I'm impressed by this magnificent cycle. There is no any boring symphony, all of them have something to tell. One feature I can feel is a sort of solemnity through many passages on these works, which I find so moving. Also, I've perceived a little Hindemithian influence on the first 3 symphonies, adding an irreverent touch.

Other than No.5 which is terrific and No.2 which I have recently discovered which are your top recommendations Caesar?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
Other than No.5 which is terrific and No.2 which I have recently discovered which are your top recommendations Caesar?

Certainly the No. 2 has many lyric moments that touched me. I could suggest the No. 4, the No. 7 with its pensive ending (a little similar to the ending of Shostakovich's No. 4 with the sounds of the celesta) and the No. 6 with its Orthodox Russian chants. These details give an elegiac atmosphere. Overall, the 8 symphonies are so worthy to appreciate. A great cycle and one of my nicest discoveries this year.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
Certainly the No. 2 has many lyric moments that touched me. I could suggest the No. 4, the No. 7 with its pensive ending (a little similar to the ending of Shostakovich's No. 4 with the sounds of the celesta) and the No. 6 with its Orthodox Russian chants. These details give an elegiac atmosphere. Overall, the 8 symphonies are so worthy to appreciate. A great cycle and one of my nicest discoveries this year.

Great. Thanks Caesar. I think that I have No.7 on CD so must look out for that one.

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
Great. Thanks Caesar. I think that I have No.7 on CD so must look out for that one.

Please, check it out, and the most important thing, enjoy it!  :D