Crocodile D'Indy

Started by snyprrr, December 25, 2017, 11:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

This Calliope String Quartet Cycle, with the Sextet also, is truly to experience the height of Franck's, and Wagner's, influence on French Music. Who can stand so much refined elegance?

D'Indy I have approached with trepidation, but he surprises me more than, say, Pierne. One can tell that D'Indy IS trying, trying to keep up with the changing times (albeit, with less success than Faure, perhaps).

I also have an old Derveaux Cd lying around...

Well?

snyprrr

Really? Even my D'Indy Thread is deemed subversive? Oh, it haaas been a rough year, hasn't it? :laugh:

D'INDY WILL NEVER DIVIDE US!!

Would love to know your thoughts on the Chandos vs EMI dilemma. Just... what are your favs? 'Souvenrrrs'? Symphony 2? I only have one of the Petre discs...with his last two works...

kyjo

d'Indy's Symphony on a French Mountain Air is a superb work. I also really like his String Quartet no. 2.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

d'Indy is a composer whose music I don't like at all. His symphonies are very disappointing (except the Symphony on a French Mountain Air), the other orchestral works do practically nothing for me either (except Istar and Jour d'été à la montagne). Now, his chamber music seems to be better. The 3 string quartets are very nice.

Maestro267

I love Symphony No. 2 and Poeme des rivages. Gloriously orchestrated!

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on December 26, 2017, 10:44:26 AM
d'Indy is a composer whose music I don't like at all. His symphonies are very disappointing (except the Symphony on a French Mountain Air), the other orchestral works do practically nothing for me either (except Istar and Jour d'été à la montagne). Now, his chamber music seems to be better. The 3 string quartets are very nice.

I tend to agree with this view although I don't know the string quartets.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I agree with some of the members here about d'Indy not being a favorite. He's a remarkable orchestrator with zero ideas that stick in the mind or at least IMHO. I haven't heard any of his chamber music, though, but I don't really have enough interest in this composer to do any more exploring of his oeuvre.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 29, 2017, 07:43:45 AM
I agree with some of the members here about d'Indy not being a favorite. He's a remarkable orchestrator with zero ideas that stick in the mind or at least IMHO. I haven't heard any of his chamber music, though, but I don't really have enough interest in this composer to do any more exploring of his oeuvre.

3 String Quartets
String Sextet
Piano Quintet
Piano Trio

I think that's The Best of the Best... limit yourself to these and you might think he's a more invigorate Faure?... PQ had a real nice melodic profile...