Prokofiev Symphonies

Started by Malx, January 01, 2018, 07:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malx

This request may start an avalanche of replies or a trickle as many posters may have been asked for their thoughts and recommendations previously.

I am looking to add a set of Prokofiev Symphonies to my collection, I currently have the Weller on Decca and would like an alternative take on what is for me a relatively unknown body of work.

Thanks in anticipation.

Daverz

If you want something very different from Weller, there's Rozhdestvensky, who does not play down any of the barbarity in these works.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Oct14/Prokofiev_sys_MELCD10011797.htm

I think Litton on Bis is probably the best of recent cycles.  I liked the Karabits cycle, but that got mixed reviews.

I'd also like to single out this Ashkenazy set for praise:

[asin] B000068QRW[/asin]

Turner

I´d go for the Järvi chandos set, maybe supplemented with a few individual extras, if one is really into them.

Jo498

I have a patchwork set with several recordings of 1 and 5, the Ashkenazy twofer shown above, the cheap "white" Sony box with Leinsdorf (2,3,5,6) and Rozhdestvensky in 1-4 (on an older BMG twofer). The last one is quite "intense" and rough but would probably be a good complement to Weller's.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

The Ozawa/Berliner box was my second set (my first was the Järvi, which I wound up returning to circulation) and it remains largely my favorite set.

Quote from: Jo498 on January 01, 2018, 08:26:16 AM
I have a patchwork set with several recordings of 1 and 5, the Ashkenazy twofer shown above, the cheap "white" Sony box with Leinsdorf (2,3,5,6) and Rozhdestvensky in 1-4 (on an older BMG twofer). The last one is quite "intense" and rough but would probably be a good complement to Weller's.

The Leinsdorf/BSO box is very nice;  I second this   8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

I'd personally go with Järvi (on Chandos) with Litton's partial cycle making a nice supplementary set. The Ashkenazy set that Daverz linked is a good one, too. Speaking of Ashkenazy, I haven't heard his new cycle on the Exton label (w/ the Sydney SO (?)). Has anyone here heard any of those performances?

relm1

Not much to add except to agree with others.  I think the Weller set is very good and probably the most musical which sometimes is a disservice to this music when you want rawness rather than lyricism.  Jarvi is a very good supplement.  I also like Dutoit on No. 1 and 5. 

amw

I'd also go for Rozhdestvensky although the orchestral playing is not always 100%. Ozawa, Järvi and Kuchar are all quite good as well—sample if you want—although I'm not sure I'd put any of them in the top league.

GioCar

I'd go for the Gergiev/LSO set, mainly for two reasons:
- the inclusion of both versions of the fourth;
- the terrific performances of the second and the seventh.

Kontrapunctus

This series has gotten very good reviews. I have the one pictured and like it very much--great playing and spectacular sound.

vandermolen

I like the cycles by Martinon and Rozhdestvensky in addition to the Weller:
[asin]B004FSJPG8[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 01, 2018, 08:29:32 AM
The Ozawa/Berliner box was my second set (my first was the Järvi, which I wound up returning to circulation) and it remains largely my favorite set.

Quote from: GioCar on January 01, 2018, 10:41:47 PM
I'd go for the Gergiev/LSO set, mainly for two reasons:
- the inclusion of both versions of the fourth;
- the terrific performances of the second and the seventh.

I'll let these two do the talkin (typin).  8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Malx

Thanks for all for the replies - much food for thought.

This may be hard to believe but I had completely forgot that I had the Jarvi box it was for some reason filed in completely the wrong area of my collection, slightly scary!
I have sampled all the suggested sets I could and I am thinking about Gergiev to give a Russian perspective on the symphonies but I am also drawn to Rozhdestvensky, poorer sound and all there seems to be a bit of soul, if that is the right description, in the samples I listened to.

Thanks again,
Malx.

Daverz

Listening to this recording of 2 and 3 now via Tidal.  Sounds fantastic.

[asin]B075MV1X5X[/asin]

Leo K.

I was not prepared to be destroyed on hearing Prokofiev's Symphony No.7 for the first time (Kitayenko/Gurzenich-Orchester Koln). Wow, simply wow.

I'm now going through the Kitayenko/Gurzenich-Orchester Koln box and have gone through symphonies 1-4. A great journey, I'm totally new to Prokofiev. I've decided this was the year to finally explore Sibelius, Nielsen, Prokofiev, Shostakovich and Myaskovsky. Aces!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Leo K. on October 26, 2020, 07:13:10 AM
I was not prepared to be destroyed on hearing Prokofiev's Symphony No.7 for the first time (Kitayenko/Gurzenich-Orchester Koln). Wow, simply wow.

I'm now going through the Kitayenko/Gurzenich-Orchester Koln box and have gone through symphonies 1-4. A great journey, I'm totally new to Prokofiev. I've decided this was the year to finally explore Sibelius, Nielsen, Prokofiev, Shostakovich and Myaskovsky. Aces!

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 01, 2018, 08:29:32 AM

Did Dutoit/Montreal make a set?  His 1 and 5 are fantastic as is all his other Prokofiev but I'm not aware if they went beyond 1 and 5.

Leo K.

Prokofiev's Symphonies 5 and 6 (Kitayenko/Gurzenich-Orchester Koln) are so incredible I'm at a loss of words!

I also listened to Ashkenazy in these performances and they kind of do a better job! I now have the Ozawa set and can't wait to get into that. Aces!