Prokofiev Symphonies

Started by Malx, January 01, 2018, 07:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

The Fifth & Sixth are stone-cold classics. I'm also a huge fan of the Second.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Quote from: Leo K. on October 29, 2020, 08:40:28 AM
Prokofiev's Symphonies 5 and 6 (Kitayenko/Gurzenich-Orchester Koln) are so incredible I'm at a loss of words!

I also listened to Ashkenazy in these performances and they kind of do a better job! I now have the Ozawa set and can't wait to get into that. Aces!

Yes, Ashkenazy did one of the best recordings of 6 with the Cleveland Orchestra. 

Leo K.

I am now going through the Ozawa set - wow he is making me get a handle on the 3rd! And the 4th - wow head was blown!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 29, 2020, 09:51:49 AM

They are all fantastic.  I love them all.  Even both the 4ths.  But I insist on the original 7th ending.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on November 02, 2020, 04:08:54 PM
They are all fantastic.  I love them all.  Even both the 4ths.  But I insist on the original 7th ending.

+1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Herman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 29, 2020, 09:51:49 AM

You forgot nr 1.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Now listening selectively to my 2 sets of Prokofiev Symphonies, i.e. Järvi & Kitajenko - the last shown below is Litton who has received some 'thumbs up' in a number of threads - not sure if I want to replace the ones owned but could add a third set? Years ago I culled out Valery Gergiev (preferred Kitajenko's approach) - for those wondering about Kitajenko, reviews are attached.  Dave :)

DavidW

Dave,

I really like Alsop in these symphonies.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on May 22, 2022, 09:13:11 AM
Dave,

I really like Alsop in these symphonies.

Thanks David for the Alsop recommendation - her symphony collection is 6 discs w/ a lot of 'extras' - I'll go on Spotify to see what is available there - :)  Dave

relm1

You know what's a fabulous cycle?  Walter Weller's London Philharmonic/Symphony cycle is wonderful!  I started listening to it yesterday and am currently on Symphony No. 3 and am struck with the precision, weight, clarity, and lyricism of this set.  It's very good so far.

The set has many different covers.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on April 15, 2023, 05:33:15 AMYou know what's a fabulous cycle?  Walter Weller's London Philharmonic/Symphony cycle is wonderful!  I started listening to it yesterday and am currently on Symphony No. 3 and am struck with the precision, weight, clarity, and lyricism of this set.  It's very good so far.

The set has many different covers.

Completely agree on the quality of this set; playing/recording/interpretation.  Not sure Weller got Decca's "full" backing/promotion when he was recording for them.  So as a cycle (and the same is true of his Rachmaninov set) they are known and obviously available but rarely considered when discussing "best cycles" of either composer.  I'm not sayng they ARE the best but I certainly prefer them to others which are considered contenders.......

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 16, 2023, 12:08:09 AMCompletely agree on the quality of this set; playing/recording/interpretation.  Not sure Weller got Decca's "full" backing/promotion when he was recording for them.  So as a cycle (and the same is true of his Rachmaninov set) they are known and obviously available but rarely considered when discussing "best cycles" of either composer.  I'm not sayng they ARE the best but I certainly prefer them to others which are considered contenders.......

So far, I've finished No. 3 and 4.  Tonight will listen to 5.  Who would you consider ARE the best so I can add those to my list if I haven't already heard them?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Weller set is wonderful. I also like Leinsdorf (not complete).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 16, 2023, 07:24:48 AMThe Weller set is wonderful. I also like Leinsdorf (not complete).
Leinsdorf is a Boston Legend!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 16, 2023, 08:32:26 AMLeinsdorf is a Boston Legend!

Great conductor! Karl, btw, do you like The Boston Globe paper like I do?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 16, 2023, 08:36:12 AMGreat conductor! Karl, btw, do you like The Boston Globe paper like I do?
I do, indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 16, 2023, 08:32:26 AMLeinsdorf is a Boston Legend!

That is one BIG AMEN!, especially for his Prokofiev recordings with the Boston Symphony

I have not yet heard the Walter Weller/London Symphony/Philharmonic set, but the Symphonies #3 and #6 under Maestro Leinsdorf are fantastic!

I first heard them when they were new in the 1960's...

and my poor, little stereo system almost had a meltdown...especially with #3!  (Insert  ANGEL  E M O T I C O N  here!)  ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

ritter

Not only in Boston!  ;)

I was lucky enough to see Leinsdorf conduct Das Rheingold and Siegfried at the Met in the early 80s. To think that the man had been conducting there for almost 50 years!