John Vincent

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, January 21, 2018, 02:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I see occasional references to this composer here and there (usually regarding his Symphony in D), but he seems pretty obscure. There's a classic Ormandy recording of the symphony but not much else.

However, my interest was piqued because this symphony will be played at Grant Park this summer - interesting that somebody wants to revive it. Any thoughts on Vincent, this symphony, and his work as a whole?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Daverz

I have the Lp, but can't remember listening to it.  There was a CD transfer on Albany:

[asin] B0000049R5[/asin]

On Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/v/RDgmGlD9dpk

There was also a Louisville recording:

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 21, 2018, 07:55:40 PM
Never heard of him.

Quote from: Daverz on January 21, 2018, 08:25:43 PM
I have the Lp, but can't remember listening to it. 

It looks like John Vincent has made a great impression on classical music fans. But I'll listen to that Ormandy on YouTube, to see if he really deserves such obscurity.

Daverz

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 22, 2018, 06:01:44 AM
It looks like John Vincent has made a great impression on classical music fans. But I'll listen to that Ormandy on YouTube, to see if he really deserves such obscurity.

Well, I have a lot of Lps that I haven't listened to.

I did listen to the YT video on my TV and it sounded wonderful.  I'll listen on the big rig today.

This is a fine mid-Century American symphony.  Went ahead and ordered the Albany CD.  There's also an Lp rip offered by Pristine:

https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pasc336

vandermolen

I have the Albany CD, purchased for the Dello Joio. Can't remember much about the Vincent so must listen to it again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Daverz on January 22, 2018, 11:21:40 AM
This is a fine mid-Century American symphony. 

Having heard it now, it sounds like some of the better Roy Harris symphonies, if not quite as tight and energetic. I do like this mid-century American style, generally speaking.