Mozart String Quintets (complete or mostly complete)

Started by amw, January 23, 2018, 12:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

which one?

Amadeus Quartet & Cecil Aronowitz on Deutsche Grammophon
2 (8.7%)
Auryn Quartet & Nobuko Imai on Tacet
1 (4.3%)
Budapest Quartet & Milton Katims on Sony
1 (4.3%)
Budapest Quartet & Walter Trampler on Sony
0 (0%)
Capuçon, Ibragimova, Caussé, Henino & Hagen on Belvedere
0 (0%)
Ensemble Villa Musica on MDG
0 (0%)
Fine Arts Quartet & Francis Tursi on Vox
0 (0%)
Griller Quartet & William Primrose on Vanguard
5 (21.7%)
Grumiaux Trio, Arpad Gérecz & Max Lesueur on Philips
10 (43.5%)
Guarneri Quartet & Ida Kavafian on Sony
0 (0%)
Hausmusik on EMI/Virgin Veritas
4 (17.4%)
Kuijken Quartet & Ryo Terakado on Denon
2 (8.7%)
Lindsay Quartet, Louise Williams & Patrick Ireland on ASV
1 (4.3%)
Nash Ensemble on Hyperion
3 (13%)
Orlando Quartet & Nobuko Imai on BIS
1 (4.3%)
Salomon Quartet & Simon Whistler on Hyperion
3 (13%)
Talich Quartet & Karel Rehák on Calliope/La Dolce Volta
4 (17.4%)
Tátrai Quartet & Anna Mauthner on Hungaroton
0 (0%)
Vienna String Quintet on Camerata
0 (0%)
Other option not specified above (specify)
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

amw

"Mostly complete" refers to recordings that only include K515, 516, 593 and 614.

Do the voting thing y'all

The One

Grumiaux Trio, Arpad Gérecz & Max Lesueur on Philips

The new erato

I only know the Grumiaux, Talich and Amadeus,all three favorites in various ways.

Todd

For complete, I've limited myself to the Grumiaux set and the Budapest/Katims.  I marginally prefer the Budapest.  I may need a modern set.  That Capuçon, Ibragimova, Caussé, Henino & Hagen looks like it could work.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

I have the Orlando on BIS for weird sentimental associations - back when I was 13-16 I played a strategy computer game which licensed its soundtrack from BIS and included 3-4 tracks from the Orlando set. I'm biased towards Hans Fagius' Bach for the same "it's what I heard while gaming as a kid" reasons. The classic, badass BIS album "La Spagna" (with Atrium Musicae de Madrid) was also a regular in the game, as was a piano + string quintet reduction of Beethoven's Second Concerto. Gosh, I had such posh taste as a kid.

Jo498

I have three complete ones: Melos+Beyer/Farulli (DG), Smetana/Suk (Denon) and Talich/Rehak (Calliope). Two more reasonably complete ones, Griller/Primrose (sans K 174) and Hausmusik (sans K 174 and 406). Then a few more single discs or recitals: 515/516 w/ Archibudelli, 406/516 w/ Tatrai, dito with Budapest/Katims in the Diapason box, the Amadeus K 593 in that same box, one or two with Heifetz etc., one or two in the Heimbach box. Not sure if I dislike any of them. A friend of mine found the Melos too massive and not Mozartean and chamber-like enough but I tend to like them whenever I re-listen to them.

I voted Other = Smetana/Suk which is a fairly relaxed, warm and beautiful interpretation, Hausmusik because it's my only semi-complete HIP (and I do not recall a large difference in 516/515 to Archibudelli) and Griller because of its infectious energy.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Baron Scarpia

I voted for Grumiaux and Smetana (Other) although I don't have the complete Smetana/Denon set. Recently tried listening to Villa Musica (MDG) but had to abandon it and return to Grumiaux because I was so dissatisfied. They get it just right.

springrite

I am partial to the Smetana.

But since I do not really have the complete set of Smetana (not sure if they recorded the complete set, probably not), my next choice would be Grumiaux.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Jo498

As I wrote, the Smetana recorded a complete set with Josef Suk on the additional viola. Three Denon discs: 515/16, 174/593, 406/614, rec. 1976-83, reissued for budget or midprice in a "Crest 1000" series. I cannot give more info because the booklets are all in Japanese. Maybe there was also a Supraphon or an international issue.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Leipzig Qt/Helmut Rode, I can let you have it, it's from concerts in Amsterdam in 2006

Orlando/Imai also worth checking out, as is the live Juilliard with Trampler, despite the sound.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

On modern instruments, the Grumiaux is satisfactory in every way. Followed (for me) by the Talich and Grillers. On PI, hard to name a 'complete' set, I have the Salomons and the Kuijkens, both are very nice, but if I had the Hausmusik to compare it to (for £168!!) I could very well prefer it since I am quite fond of their playing.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 25, 2018, 10:28:45 AM
On modern instruments, the Grumiaux is satisfactory in every way. Followed (for me) by the Talich and Grillers. On PI, hard to name a 'complete' set, I have the Salomons and the Kuijkens, both are very nice, but if I had the Hausmusik to compare it to (for £168!!) I could very well prefer it since I am quite fond of their playing.

8)
Yes, Hausmusik is the choice in PI. Maybe these games should be set as your MI choice and PI choice seperately :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 25, 2018, 10:42:34 AM
Yes, Hausmusik is the choice in PI. Maybe these games should be set as your MI choice and PI choice seperately :)

It would certainly be more to the point. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

I can a add nothing. I've only Grumiaux and have never heard a reason to acquire more. They seem perfection.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on January 25, 2018, 09:49:50 AM
Leipzig Qt/Helmut Rode, I can let you have it, it's from concerts in Amsterdam in 2006
I know it yes, but I was limiting this to commercial releases.

I didn't separate modern and period instrument performances here because there are very few of the latter (only one complete set, two partial sets and two single discs of K515/516)

The One

Quote from: amw on January 25, 2018, 01:49:14 PM
I didn't separate modern and period instrument performances here because there are very few of the latter (only one complete set, two partial sets and two single discs of K515/516)

Of course. We were chatting about "in general". :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: amw on January 25, 2018, 01:49:14 PM
I know it yes, but I was limiting this to commercial releases.

Quote from: The One on January 25, 2018, 02:01:32 PM
Of course. We were chatting about "in general". :)

Clearly there isn't enough. I also have Quintet #1 (in Bb) K 174 by the Smithson Quartet +, which is the only version on PI AFAIK. I would love to have #2 K 516b, but alas, if there IS a recording I have never seen it.

Some of the single disks are especially fine, such as L'Archibudelli's K 515 & 516. Wish they had done more, but there you go. :-\

8)

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 25, 2018, 04:06:56 PMSome of the single disks are especially fine, such as L'Archibudelli's K 515 & 516. Wish they had done more, but there you go. :-\

I have that one, I should give a listen. Last time I approached the Quintets I started with the MDG set (Villa something-or-other) and ran back to the Grumiaux after experiencing horror.

amw

The Kuijkens recorded all six but are the only group I know of to have done so. There's also a period instruments single disc of 174 & 406 by Les Adieux on DHM but I've never heard it.

(My personal favourite recordings of the quintets are Chiara Banchini & Ensemble 415 in 515/516, L'Archibudelli in 515/516, Takács Quartet [Dusinberre lineup] & György Pauk in 515/516, the Kuijkens, Hausmusik in 515/516/593/614, the Grillers, and the Leipzig Quartet & Hartmut Röhde alluded to above. I am personally still awaiting a London Haydn Quartet or Chiaroscuro Quartet complete set and suspect I'll be waiting a long time.)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: amw on January 25, 2018, 04:17:16 PM
The Kuijkens recorded all six but are the only group I know of to have done so. There's also a period instruments single disc of 174 & 406 by Les Adieux on DHM but I've never heard it.

(My personal favourite recordings of the quintets are Chiara Banchini & Ensemble 415 in 515/516, L'Archibudelli in 515/516, Takács Quartet [Dusinberre lineup] & György Pauk in 515/516, the Kuijkens, Hausmusik in 515/516/593/614, the Grillers, and the Leipzig Quartet & Hartmut Röhde alluded to above. I am personally still awaiting a London Haydn Quartet or Chiaroscuro Quartet complete set and suspect I'll be waiting a long time.)

I've never seen the Kuijkens recording of the first two. Guess I will have to look in Tokyo! (that's where I find most of their stuff on Denon).  I am not surprised Les Adieux have recorded those, but like you, I have never seen it. *sigh*.  I would also look for Banchini, she is one of my favorite players!

8)