Mozart String Quintets (complete or mostly complete)

Started by amw, January 23, 2018, 12:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

which one?

Amadeus Quartet & Cecil Aronowitz on Deutsche Grammophon
2 (8.7%)
Auryn Quartet & Nobuko Imai on Tacet
1 (4.3%)
Budapest Quartet & Milton Katims on Sony
1 (4.3%)
Budapest Quartet & Walter Trampler on Sony
0 (0%)
Capuçon, Ibragimova, Caussé, Henino & Hagen on Belvedere
0 (0%)
Ensemble Villa Musica on MDG
0 (0%)
Fine Arts Quartet & Francis Tursi on Vox
0 (0%)
Griller Quartet & William Primrose on Vanguard
5 (21.7%)
Grumiaux Trio, Arpad Gérecz & Max Lesueur on Philips
10 (43.5%)
Guarneri Quartet & Ida Kavafian on Sony
0 (0%)
Hausmusik on EMI/Virgin Veritas
4 (17.4%)
Kuijken Quartet & Ryo Terakado on Denon
2 (8.7%)
Lindsay Quartet, Louise Williams & Patrick Ireland on ASV
1 (4.3%)
Nash Ensemble on Hyperion
3 (13%)
Orlando Quartet & Nobuko Imai on BIS
1 (4.3%)
Salomon Quartet & Simon Whistler on Hyperion
3 (13%)
Talich Quartet & Karel Rehák on Calliope/La Dolce Volta
4 (17.4%)
Tátrai Quartet & Anna Mauthner on Hungaroton
0 (0%)
Vienna String Quintet on Camerata
0 (0%)
Other option not specified above (specify)
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 25, 2018, 05:11:38 PM
I've never seen the Kuijkens recording of the first two. Guess I will have to look in Tokyo! (that's where I find most of their stuff on Denon).  I am not surprised Les Adieux have recorded those, but like you, I have never seen it. *sigh*.  I would also look for Banchini, she is one of my favorite players!

8)

Well, I have the Les Adieux disk on the way now. That will be nice!  :)

8)

PS - Amazon Marketplace...
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 25, 2018, 11:48:49 AM
I can a add nothing. I've only Grumiaux and have never heard a reason to acquire more. They seem perfection.

Sarge

Same here.  I was tempted by the idea of Capucon et amis, but that seems to be only DVD...which means I'd probably never sit down to watch it
[asin]B017C1C8KY[/asin]

If there is a CD only version, I'd be glad to hear of it.

Jo498

I think it is a pity that the early B flat major K 174 and sometimes also the re-working of the c minor serenade are often ignored. I think the early one is one of the best pieces among the first 250 K numbers, certainly superior to the dozen or so of early string *quartets* and while I prefer the more colorful original wind version K 388 the K 406 also is a worthwhile piece.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on January 26, 2018, 04:47:25 AM
I think it is a pity that the early B flat major K 174 and sometimes also the re-working of the c minor serenade are often ignored. I think the early one is one of the best pieces among the first 250 K numbers, certainly superior to the dozen or so of early string *quartets* and while I prefer the more colorful original wind version K 388 the K 406 also is a worthwhile piece.

I could have written that myself! Completely agree. As it turned out, even thought the wind serenade was perfectly idiomatic for wind instruments, it also adapted ideally for strings. Of course, Mozart did the adaptation himself, which might have had something to do with it (Beethoven said it did). But anyway, there are only a big handful of works in the first 250 that are undoubtedly superior, and K 174 is clearly one of them!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jo498

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 25, 2018, 05:52:41 PM
Well, I have the Les Adieux disk on the way now. That will be nice!  :)
I also got this one today. I did not have a HIP recording of 174 and 406, so I can justify the purchase (it was also dirt cheap used like new).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

Listening selectively to my large Mozart collection and now on the String Quintets - own two sets, i.e. Talich & Nash - have listened to the Klenke Quartett on Spotify and not as impressed as in there Wolfie String Quartet set which is in my collection and well reviewed.  There have been many 'favorites' in this short thread, mostly older sets such as Grumiaux - for those interested, I've attached reviews of the sets shown - Talich I've had the longest and my favorite; both the Nash & Klenke have some negative comments - could make a swap, if the price was right?  Not sure of any 'complete' period instrument offerings?  Dave :)

Jo498

I think there is only one complete period recording, Kuijken/Terakado on Denon from about 30 years ago or so. Hausmusik has the 4 "late" quintets, I'd recommend them, if one wants a PI recording.
Of the ones you show I only know the Talich. I dislike the clarinet quintet include because of the strange (bohemian vibrato?) sound of the clarinetist and the string quintets seem also to have been recorded over some years and the SQ is not uniform but they survived any culling attempts although I am not as fond of them as some other listeners apparently are. I used to be quite fond of Smetana/Suk (Denon, recording from the 70s/80s) but was a bit less impressed when I compared some a few weeks ago. A third modern complete recording I have is the Melos+ on DG (1980s-1990) that might be a bit to "large" but it was my first recording of them and I also liked it quite a bit when I re-listened, so I guess I need to keep them all around.
I have not heard it but a recentish recording of the Quatuor sine nomine on Genuin (squeezing them onto two 84 min discs!) was well received and might be a good modern option.

[asin]B00CZCEONK[/asin]
- Blaise Pascal

Spotted Horses

These are some of my favorite works by Mozart. My reference recording is the first I listened to, the Grumiaux Trio + 2. I've thought it would be nice to have a more recent recording in better sound and with an HIP feel (even if period instruments are not used) but have not found quite what I'm looking for. I tried the Ensemble Villa Musica on MDG but found it unsatisfying. I have the Salomon on Hyperion, but they only recorded the last 4. There's the Nash Ensemble, but I've generally not enjoyed other recordings I have from them. I'm considering the Auryn Quartet+, and maybe Capucon+, since I can extract audio files from the DVDs. I wish the Festetics would record this music.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Jo498

I have heard neither in the Mozart quintets but besides taking lots of repeats I don't find the Auryn HIP-influenced in Haydn, so I wouldn't except them to be in Mozart. They are also not of the modern school very sparing with vibrato. According to the reviews linked above the Klenke don't do all repeats but they are somewhat HIP-influenced. Both Hausmusik and Archibudelli have, AFAIR, very good, "non-scratchy" sound, so one can try them for real HIP in the two most famous pieces. I haven't heard the Kuijken but they do have a more austere sound in other recordings and my recording of the early quintets with Les Adieux is also less polished than e.g. Hausmusik.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

Kuijkens are austere and deeply sad—not easy listening Mozart at all. I value them for that reason. The best overall HIP disc is probably Bianchini and Ensemble 415 on Harmonia Mundi, playing 515 and 516. For a slightly more complete set, Hausmusik will be more enjoyable for most people, but excludes 174 and 406. The Smithson Quartet has recorded at least 174, although the playing is not technically the most secure. I still don't know the Les Adieux recording, although I do have it somewhere.

I'm not sure who I'd go for on modern instruments. Probably Takács Quartet in 515/516 and the Melos Quartet for a complete cycle, but I rarely listen to modern instruments versions of these pieces, despite owning most of them. (I really want to hear the Capuçon/Ibragimova/et al. set but haven't been able to find it. I don't have any interest in DVDs, as a rule, but there are occasional exceptions.)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: amw on May 19, 2022, 09:59:29 AM
Kuijkens are austere and deeply sad—not easy listening Mozart at all. I value them for that reason. The best overall HIP disc is probably Bianchini and Ensemble 415 on Harmonia Mundi, playing 515 and 516. For a slightly more complete set, Hausmusik will be more enjoyable for most people, but excludes 174 and 406. The Smithson Quartet has recorded at least 174, although the playing is not technically the most secure. I still don't know the Les Adieux recording, although I do have it somewhere.

I'm not sure who I'd go for on modern instruments. Probably Takács Quartet in 515/516 and the Melos Quartet for a complete cycle, but I rarely listen to modern instruments versions of these pieces, despite owning most of them. (I really want to hear the Capuçon/Ibragimova/et al. set but haven't been able to find it. I don't have any interest in DVDs, as a rule, but there are occasional exceptions.)

You've made me feel a strong need to hear the Kuijkens recordings! That's a bit of a wild goose chase.

The Capuçon et al DVD has LPCM audio. The thought occurred to me to extract the audio into FLAC files and listen that way.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

amw

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 20, 2022, 06:50:59 AM
You've made me feel a strong need to hear the Kuijkens recordings! That's a bit of a wild goose chase.
For me the Kuijkens' approach pays dividends in 515, 516 and 406, and 174 to a lesser degree—no longer a charming divertimento but a piece of real weight and seriousness in their hands. 593 comes off reasonably well in its deeply serious first and second movements, less well in the last two. 614 is a curiosity—melancholy and almost bereft of energy, without any of the faux-naif charm Mozart undoubtedly intended it to have. But for those turned off by faux-naïveté or who simply have never gotten into the work, it's a potential way in simply due to its seriousness (a nearly 10 minute second movement for example). I do recommend it to people, especially those who don't want to hear Mozart as simply charming and delightful and instead want to be able to hear him as his contemporaries, who regarded him as the first Romantic, did. (But the Ensemble 415 recording is even more valuable in drawing interpretive connections back to the empfindsamkeit style of CPE Bach as well as forward to Schubert, which the Kuijkens don't attempt.)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: amw on May 20, 2022, 09:55:55 AM
For me the Kuijkens' approach pays dividends in 515, 516 and 406, and 174 to a lesser degree—no longer a charming divertimento but a piece of real weight and seriousness in their hands. 593 comes off reasonably well in its deeply serious first and second movements, less well in the last two. 614 is a curiosity—melancholy and almost bereft of energy, without any of the faux-naif charm Mozart undoubtedly intended it to have. But for those turned off by faux-naïveté or who simply have never gotten into the work, it's a potential way in simply due to its seriousness (a nearly 10 minute second movement for example). I do recommend it to people, especially those who don't want to hear Mozart as simply charming and delightful and instead want to be able to hear him as his contemporaries, who regarded him as the first Romantic, did. (But the Ensemble 415 recording is even more valuable in drawing interpretive connections back to the empfindsamkeit style of CPE Bach as well as forward to Schubert, which the Kuijkens don't attempt.)

Thanks for the comments. I have the Ensemble 415 recording as well and should revisit it soon.

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 18, 2022, 07:30:10 AM
These are some of my favorite works by Mozart. My reference recording is the first I listened to, the Grumiaux Trio + 2. I've thought it would be nice to have a more recent recording in better sound and with an HIP feel (even if period instruments are not used) but have not found quite what I'm looking for. I tried the Ensemble Villa Musica on MDG but found it unsatisfying. I have the Salomon on Hyperion, but they only recorded the last 4. There's the Nash Ensemble, but I've generally not enjoyed other recordings I have from them. I'm considering the Auryn Quartet+, and maybe Capucon+, since I can extract audio files from the DVDs. I wish the Festetics would record this music.

I am very glad to have the Ibragimova etc DVD, I can send you the sound files if you want to sample before committing. Another one I can send you is an unpublished concert recording, from 2010 I think, with the Leipzig Quartet.

There's also Ulbrich Quartet, old fashioned but strong IMO - good cellist.

(Just listening to Ulbrich now after typing that - 406 - the sound they make is just so unlike what we're all used to, rich. I guess this was the East German way.)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 20, 2022, 06:50:59 AM

If you want your Mozart to sound like Allan Pettersson then by all means, go for the Kuijkens...  ;D

I can let you have the whole thing in FLAC, if interested just PM me.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

TTT after a few years!  Quote below from then with some pic additions at the bottom - still own the Talich & Nash sets; but considering a third set with Grumiaux up there (and the fav in this poll) - but the Alexander SQ popped up (review attached) along w/ some oldies - any other new ones out there or reconsiderations of previously discussed favorites - thanks.  Dave

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 12, 2022, 08:13:42 AMListening selectively to my large Mozart collection and now on the String Quintets - own two sets, i.e. Talich & Nash - have listened to the Klenke Quartett on Spotify and not as impressed as in there Wolfie String Quartet set which is in my collection and well reviewed.  There have been many 'favorites' in this short thread, mostly older sets such as Grumiaux - for those interested, I've attached reviews of the sets shown - Talich I've had the longest and my favorite; both the Nash & Klenke have some negative comments - could make a swap, if the price was right?  Not sure of any 'complete' period instrument offerings?  Dave :)

Karl Henning

I interpreted the poll as "which ones do you own?" My votes were Amadeus Quartet plus and Other: Juilliard Quartet plus. A little surprised that the J. Q. was omitted from the poll.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 10, 2024, 08:25:21 AM- any other new ones out there or reconsiderations of previously discussed favorites - thanks.  Dave

Yes there is, though I'm sure you will hate it because apart from the mothers of the performers, I'm the only person in the universe who likes it. Ensemble Fratres with K406 and K 593

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8784147--mozart-quintettes-k-406-et-k-593
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Well, I wanted another set of these works and setup on Spotify a back-back comparison of K. 515/516 of the two groups below, i.e. the older but well restored Grumiaux performances and the just recently recorded Alexander Quartet - could easily go with either one but decided Grumiaux was a better listen for my ears; so, did an MP3 DL from Presto ($16 USD) and burned to one CD-R - now listening and am pleased; plus, the single disc will fit nicely into one of the other multi-disc jewel boxes -  :D   Dave

P.S. I also had viewed Hurwitz's comments and recommendations on these works - at the bottom for those interested.