Lloyd
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 07, 2020, 04:09:48 PM
1-25 arranged chronologically, and with one edit - Wuorinen replaced with Josquin. I don't think he'd mind.   8)  Wuorinen would definitely be #26.

Machaut
Dufay
Ockeghem
Josquin
Palestrina
Gesualdo
Monteverdi
Bach
Haydn
Beethoven
Schumann
Liszt
Verdi
Brahms
Debussy
Satie
Schoenberg
Webern
Mompou
Gershwin
Carter
Cage
Bernstein
Boulez
Feldman

Surprised not to see Poulenc on your list, San Antone, especially given how highly you spoke of his music in the composer's own thread.

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2020, 06:37:08 PM
Surprised not to see Poulenc on your list, San Antone, especially given how highly you spoke of his music in the composer's own thread.

He'd make the Top 50 list.   8)

Wanderer

1-10 (not in order)

Bach
Beethoven
Mozart
Brahms
Schubert
Schumann
Medtner
Alkan
Bruckner
Berlioz

11-25 (not in order)

Haydn
Debussy
Ravel
Mendelssohn
Sibelius
Dvořák
Janáček
R.Strauss
Wagner
Liszt
Korngold
Tchaikovsky
Scriabin
Skalkottas
Charpentier

kyjo

Top 10 (in no particular order):

Atterberg
Barber
Braga Santos
Damase
Dvořák
Lloyd
Nielsen
Prokofiev
Rachmaninoff
Sibelius

11-25 (in no particular order):

Arnold
Brahms
Bruckner
Casella
Elgar
Fauré
Hanson
Janáček
Martinů
Poulenc
Ravel
Saint-Saëns
Schubert
Vaughan Williams
Walton

Composers who my enthusiasm for has waned: Mahler and Shostakovich
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 09, 2020, 09:12:21 AMComposers who my enthusiasm for has waned: Mahler and Shostakovich

My enthusiasm for Mahler has only grown in the last 11 years, but I'm with you on Shostakovich. I still find there to be many masterpieces written from him, but I don't quite feel compelled enough to listen to him much these days and when I do, it's usually one of his seminal chamber works. Mahler, on the other hand, is making much more sense and has given me much emotional/intellectual fulfillment. I find Das Lied von der Erde to be one of the greatest works ever composed. I'm deeply connected to that work. I feel similarly about all of his lieder. His symphonies are still incredible to me despite their over-popularity nowadays.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 10, 2020, 07:16:17 AM
My enthusiasm for Mahler has only grown in the last 11 years, but I'm with you on Shostakovich. I still find there to be many masterpieces written from him, but I don't quite feel compelled enough to listen to him much these days and when I do, it's usually one of his seminal chamber works. Mahler, on the other hand, is making much more sense and has given me much emotional/intellectual fulfillment. I find Das Lied von der Erde to be one of the greatest works ever composed. I'm deeply connected to that work. I feel similarly about all of his lieder. His symphonies are still incredible to me despite their over-popularity nowadays.

Shostakovich still remains a favorite of mine because of the wide range of works he created and the consistency of the music itself. I sometimes feel saturated by some of his works if I listen to them with much frequency. His voice is quite personal and unique, that is another appeal I find interesting on him.

On the other hand, Mahler would have been a strong favorite of mine had he composed in more forms, including chamber works. The Piano Quartet in A minor proved to be an attractive piece. A pity he never returned to that form.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Slight changes, but prompted by my forgetting to include Mozart the first time around... ::)

Quote from: André on January 24, 2018, 04:55:34 PM

This is my 1-10 list, in no particular order:

Reger
Delius
Elgar Mozart
Beethoven
J.S. Bach
Haydn
Prokofiev
Wagner
Bruckner
Arnold

Nos 11-25, again in no particular order:

Brahms
Schubert
C.P.E. Bach
Boccherini
Dvorak
Verdi
Vaughan Williams
Mahler
Koechlin
Shostakovich
Chopin
Schmitt Elgar
Sibelius
Tchaikovsky Kinsella
Stravinsky Gerhard

I guess I again come up with well-known composers  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 10, 2020, 09:25:08 AM
Shostakovich still remains a favorite of mine because of the wide range of works he created and the consistency of the music itself. I sometimes feel saturated by some of his works if I listen to them with much frequency. His voice is quite personal and unique, that is another appeal I find interesting on him.

On the other hand, Mahler would have been a strong favorite of mine had he composed in more forms, including chamber works. The Piano Quartet in A minor proved to be an attractive piece. A pity he never returned to that form.

Well, we could say what you said about Mahler about Bruckner as well, but I certainly don't hold it against either composer because there's not much variety in terms of genre. What both of these composer achieved was absolutely jaw-dropping and incredible. Like I said, Das Lied von der Erde is just...well, one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

P.S. Love your Langgaard avatar. Eccentric choice. 8)

jess

this isn't something i'd want to spend too much time thinking about, but in these positions I might be putting people like...

Beatriz Ferreya
Ramon Lazkano
Lucia Ronchetti
Mirela Ivičević
Ernst Helmuth Flammer
Anthony Pateras
Pierluigi Billone
Lisa Streich
Matthias Pintscher
Richard Barrett
Jana Winderen
Daniel Blinkhorn
Salvatore Sciarrino
Peter Ablinger
Malin Bång

but this severely restricts who is in my top 10 i guess.

This is why i didn't want to think about it too much!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 10, 2020, 08:05:04 PM
Well, we could say what you said about Mahler about Bruckner as well, but I certainly don't hold it against either composer because there's not much variety in terms of genre. What both of these composer achieved was absolutely jaw-dropping and incredible. Like I said, Das Lied von der Erde is just...well, one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

P.S. Love your Langgaard avatar. Eccentric choice. 8)

Haha indeed!

As eccentric as his style and personality.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

Funnily enough, when I looked at my contribution to this thread some years ago, it was Shostakovich that I noticed as most likely to have risen in the rankings since.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on January 09, 2020, 09:12:21 AM
Top 10 (in no particular order):

Atterberg
Barber
Braga Santos
Damase
Dvořák
Lloyd
Nielsen
Prokofiev
Rachmaninoff
Sibelius

11-25 (in no particular order):

Arnold
Brahms
Bruckner
Casella
Elgar
Fauré
Hanson
Janáček
Martinů
Poulenc
Ravel
Saint-Saëns
Schubert
Vaughan Williams
Walton

Composers who my enthusiasm for has waned: Mahler and Shostakovich

Incredible, the only names for whom I don't share your enthusiasm are Sibelius, Hanson, Atterberg and Lloyd, the latter three because I never really tried. Of course, I would also name a handful of different composers, but even your 19th Century names are largely 'mine' too.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 14, 2020, 12:43:46 AM
Incredible, the only names for whom I don't share your enthusiasm are Sibelius, Hanson, Atterberg and Lloyd, the latter three because I never really tried. Of course, I would also name a handful of different composers, but even your 19th Century names are largely 'mine' too.  :)
My recommendations for you:

Hanson: Symphony No.3
Atterberg: Symphony No. 5
Lloyd: Symphony No. 4 (and 7).

Kyle might have other suggestions. Great to see Damase on his list.
;)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on January 14, 2020, 05:51:06 AM

;)

Good choices, Jeffrey. Since Hanson shares some elements of Braga Santos's music, it might appeal to Christo's tastes.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 14, 2020, 08:40:33 AM
Good choices, Jeffrey. Since Hanson shares some elements of Braga Santos's music, it might appeal to Christo's tastes.
Thank you Cesar!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2020, 03:15:15 PM
I'm not completely satisfied with this list above, so I'm editing it:

Debussy
Ravel
Bartók
Stravinsky
Fauré
Poulenc
Britten
Sibelius
Enescu
Takemitsu
Barber
Mahler
Martinů
Bruckner
Ives
Ligeti
Schoenberg
Berg
Szymanowski
Shostakovich
Prokofiev
Janáček
Falla
Boulanger

Like San Antone, I feel an edit is most definitely in order:

Debussy
Ravel
Bartók
Stravinsky
Fauré
Britten
Sibelius
Enescu
Takemitsu
Barber
Mahler
Martinů
Ives
Ligeti
Schoenberg
Berg
Schnittke
Lutoslawski
Szymanowski
Liszt
Bernstein
Shostakovich
Prokofiev
Janáček
Pärt

Christo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 14, 2020, 08:40:33 AM
NO! You won't win me over by mis-using the very sacred name of Joly Braga Santos before my very eyes.  8)

Quote from: vandermolen on January 14, 2020, 05:51:06 AM

;)
Love the Damase symphony, many thanks to both of you.  :)

Know Atterberg 7, too Romanticisciscistcist I thought (blame me), heard Lloyd 5-7 and thought it was Elgar, didn't play Hanson in ages since I thought he's an American-American Sibelius and cannot tolerate Sibelius except for Symphony No. 4 and Tapiola and the Kullervo symphony and a few other niceties that often.  ???

Thanks very much for your tips, will duly oblige!  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 14, 2020, 03:19:31 PM
Like San Antone, I feel an edit is most definitely in order:

Debussy
Ravel
Bartók
Stravinsky
Fauré
Britten
Sibelius
Enescu
Takemitsu
Barber
Mahler
Martinů
Ives
Ligeti
Schoenberg
Berg
Schnittke
Lutoslawski
Szymanowski
Liszt
Bernstein
Shostakovich
Prokofiev
Janáček
Pärt

Wow, I can't believe I left Stravinsky off my list.  I will need to fit him in. 

8)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Christo on January 14, 2020, 03:37:40 PM
NO! You won't win me over by mis-using the very sacred name of Joly Braga Santos before my very eyes.  8)
Love the Damase symphony, many thanks to both of you.  :)

Know Atterberg 7, too Romanticisciscistcist I thought (blame me), heard Lloyd 5-7 and thought it was Elgar, didn't play Hanson in ages since I thought he's an American-American Sibelius and cannot tolerate Sibelius except for Symphony No. 4 and Tapiola and the Kullervo symphony and a few other niceties that often.  ???

Thanks very much for your tips, will duly oblige!  :D

Well, you should!  ;)

And it's curious you don't like Sibelius that much.

Noam Chomsky