Author Topic: Top 11-25 composers  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
Re: Top 11-25 composers
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
Well, you should!  ;)

And it's curious you don't like Sibelius that much.

HIS fault! #notmine.  ;) (He drank too much wodka & wine in hotel Kämp, Helsinki, actually in most bars around. I did too at both of my visits to Helsinki, but didn't try to compose music afterwards. ???
When sober though, he did compose great music, I think I gave you a few titles. (Just should 've done some more composing instead of drinking, a pity.  :().

Hanson wasn't a drunk at all, I probably didn't do him justice because of his 'Sibelian' style, though I adore New Zealand's homegrown 'Sibelian' Douglas Lilburn and am probably completely wrong about Hanson, please tell me where to start with him.  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:13:01 PM by Christo »
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the water...
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 05:13:44 PM »
Wow, I can't believe I left Stravinsky off my list.  I will need to fit him in. 

8)

Igor’s turning in his grave I’m sure. ;) Well, you’re interest in classical music goes far deeper than mine in that I mostly only have a taste for 20th Century composers (and some Romantic Era ones).
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »
HIS fault! #notmine.  ;) (He drank too much wodka & wine in hotel Kämp, Helsinki, actually in most bars around. I did too at both of my visits to Helsinki, but didn't try to compose music afterwards. ???
When sober though, he did compose great music, I think I gave you a few titles. (Just should 've done some more composing instead of drinking, a pity.  :().

Hanson wasn't a drunk at all, I probably didn't do him justice because of his 'Sibelian' style, though I adore New Zealand's homegrown 'Sibelian' Douglas Lilburn and am probably completely wrong about Hanson, please tell me where to start with him.  :)

I'm not an expert about Hanson as others are, but I could you suggest Lament for Beowulf for chorus and orchestra, Lux Aeterna for viola and orchestra, Pastorale for oboe, harp and strings, symphonies from No. 4 onwards are less hyper-Romantic, so you might like them too. I hope these works aren't too emotional or cinematic for your tastes. Surely Kyle and Jeffrey are willing to give you more suggestions.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 02:05:48 AM »
I'm not an expert about Hanson as others are, but I could you suggest Lament for Beowulf for chorus and orchestra, Lux Aeterna for viola and orchestra, Pastorale for oboe, harp and strings, symphonies from No. 4 onwards are less hyper-Romantic, so you might like them too. I hope these works aren't too emotional or cinematic for your tastes. Surely Kyle and Jeffrey are willing to give you more suggestions.

I'm not an HHE (Howard Hanson Expert) either but I agree with Cesar's recommendations. However, I especially like symphonies 1 to 5 (3 is my favourite - there is a terrific performance conducted by Koussevitsky but may be difficult to track down) and would add 'Bold Island Suite' and especially 'Dies Natalis'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 02:09:24 AM »
NO! You won't win me over by mis-using the very sacred name of Joly Braga Santos before my very eyes.  8)
Love the Damase symphony, many thanks to both of you.  :)

Know Atterberg 7, too Romanticisciscistcist I thought (blame me), heard Lloyd 5-7 and thought it was Elgar, didn't play Hanson in ages since I thought he's an American-American Sibelius and cannot tolerate Sibelius except for Symphony No. 4 and Tapiola and the Kullervo symphony and a few other niceties that often.  ???

Thanks very much for your tips, will duly oblige!  :D
Interesting about your views on Sibelius. However I share your taste for those three works in particular. Also the original Karelia music and the complete music for The Tempest. Tapiola is IMO one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).