Praise to great Georges

Started by carlos, August 19, 2007, 06:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlos

On this date,1881, was borne great Georges Enescu; composer,
violinist,pianist,conductor, teacher,and according with everybody
who knew him, a marvelous human being..
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

val

Yes, praise to the author of the opera Oedipe, the Chamber Symphony, the 2nd Symphony, the 3rd violin Sonata, Vox Maris and other masterpieces.

BachQ

"The god of my own youthful adoration was Brahms, and I wrote flagrantly in the manner of the immortal Johannes"

--Georges Enescu

Kullervo

I've been meaning to get into him. Any recommendations on pieces/recordings?

Haffner

bhodges

Quote from: Corey on August 21, 2007, 07:11:32 AM

If you're inclined toward chamber music, I love this recording.  Leonidas Kavakos (violin) and Péter Nagy (piano) do the Impressions d'enfance and the Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 3, along with Ravel's Tzigane.  Sensitive performances and excellent sound quality.

--Bruce

Kullervo

Quote from: bhodges on August 21, 2007, 07:31:17 AM
If you're inclined toward chamber music, I love this recording.  Leonidas Kavakos (violin) and Péter Nagy (piano) do the Impressions d'enfance and the Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 3, along with Ravel's Tzigane.  Sensitive performances and excellent sound quality.

--Bruce

I am, and thanks! Goes straight to the wishlist.

carlos

Second and third violin sonata recorded by Enescu with Lipatti
is definitive, And also a legendary and absolutely marvelous
recording that is a must in every collection.
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

val

QuoteCorey

I suggest you to begin with the Chamber Symphony, a masterpiece at the level of Bartok's Music for strings, percussion and celesta.

There is a very good version conducted by Lawrence Foster, also including the Dixtuor (CLAVES).