Henryk Mikolaj Gorecki (1933-2010)

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny

Quote from: MrOsa on April 16, 2007, 03:19:44 AM
Eh? ???

You're not making any sense (to me at least), Danny... ???

Who, what, when, why?

Was going to buy Goreki's Third Symphony before seeing this thread.  Passed it up, and then came home to read this on the GMG and made me wish I had bought it to hear what all the fuss was about. 

Hope that clarifies; Harry says I write in riddles and can be confusing sometimes, so my apologies.   :-[

Maciek

Not at all, Danny. A bit too laconic this time, that's all.

I'm back with more birth dates:

1933 Zbigniew Bujarski and Eugeniusz Rudnik (maybe not world famous but in Poland he's like the father of electronic music, and his Mobile for tape was extremely well known the world over in the 70s)
1943 Joanna Bruzdowicz, Marta Ptaszyńska (and Józef Koffler died that year)

This is all a joke, of course - an arbitrary selection to prove an absurd "point". Selecting any other "year ending" would have proved just as fruitful :P.

greg

I think the reason why so many Polish people have a last name that ends in "cki" (pronounced "tski") is because they like to ski up there, since it's so cold and snowy, right?

Maciek

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Danny on April 17, 2007, 10:08:41 AM
Was going to buy Goreki's Third Symphony before seeing this thread.  Passed it up, and then came home to read this on the GMG and made me wish I had bought it to hear what all the fuss was about. 

You know for such a mediocre work Gorecki's 3rd sure has quite a number of recordings out there, yet you almost never see it performed in the concert hall.

Maciek

Wow! It took 24 replies and more than 4 days for anyone to heed my call! I'm impressed we actually got that far. ;D

greg

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 18, 2007, 08:49:03 AM
You know for such a mediocre work Gorecki's 3rd sure has quite a number of recordings out there, yet you almost never see it performed in the concert hall.
maybe it's too easy to perform?

Maciek

[Quote for those who haven't read all previous posts, I know at least one person hasn't ;):]
Quote from: MrOsa on April 13, 2007, 03:19:30 PM
You may begin denigrating the 3rd Symphony (I know you want to very, very much ;)) ...

NOW!

Robert

I just received an email from Kronos website talking about the new Gorecki String Quartet 3. FYI  to all  New Yorkers that Kronos is performing this and other things at a workshop at CARNEGIE HALL  April 22-29.  It seems the only place on the tour that they are playing his third is Paris.....

Philadelphia 4/19
Dallas 5/7
Cogogne, Germany 5/30

Robert

Quote from: Robert on April 18, 2007, 11:32:36 AM
I just received an email from Kronos website talking about the new Gorecki String Quartet 3. FYI  to all  New Yorkers that Kronos is performing this and other things at a workshop at CARNEGIE HALL  April 22-29.

Philadelphia 4/19
Dallas 5/7
Cogogne, Germany 5/30
After further investigation it seems Kronos will not be performing the Gorecki third sq..  Instead its going to be a three day workshop and one evening performance of four composers works Reich, Zorn, Du Bois, Riley,...sorry about that....

greg

Quote from: Robert on April 18, 2007, 02:26:16 PM
After further investigation it seems Kronos will not be performing the Gorecki third sq..  Instead its going to be a three day workshop and one evening performance of four composers works Reich, Zorn, Du Bois, Riley,...sorry about that....
bleh!  :P
so they don't have a recording either, do they? His string quartets are some of my very favorites.

Robert

Quote from: greg on April 19, 2007, 05:19:50 AM
bleh!  :P
so they don't have a recording either, do they? His string quartets are some of my very favorites.
They certainly do. They recorded 1&2 years ago and just released 3....they are available....

greg

Quote from: Robert on April 19, 2007, 06:18:36 AM
They certainly do. They recorded 1&2 years ago and just released 3....they are available....
oooh sweet  0:)

greg

it got one review on amazon, for two stars  :-\

Robert

Quote from: greg on April 20, 2007, 05:49:36 AM

it got one review on amazon, for two stars  :-\
Greg
I heard it on contemporaryclassical.com. They have it, and you can request it.  My first hearing was not a good one. I mentioned to Maciek that I thought it just dragged on. But on the other hand I usually need more than one listen....I was not that impressed or I would have requested it... I would rather listen to it on my system rather than through this computer....You can go on and request it and see what you think....Let us know if you do....

greg

Quote from: Robert on April 20, 2007, 06:07:33 AM
Greg
I heard it on contemporaryclassical.com. They have it, and you can request it.  My first hearing was not a good one. I mentioned to Maciek that I thought it just dragged on. But on the other hand I usually need more than one listen....I was not that impressed or I would have requested it... I would rather listen to it on my system rather than through this computer....You can go on and request it and see what you think....Let us know if you do....
i actually haven't been listening to that channel, for over a year probably. i used to be able to access it by realplayer but then i couldn't.... so i'm not sure if i will actually want to mess with trying to figure out how to listen again

Robert

Quote from: greg on April 20, 2007, 03:28:15 PM
i actually haven't been listening to that channel, for over a year probably. i used to be able to access it by realplayer but then i couldn't.... so i'm not sure if i will actually want to mess with trying to figure out how to listen again
WINAMP

DavidW

I have a cd of his string quartets, when caught listening to it I was told that it sounded like "somebody dropping knives on the floor, but not as musical."  ::)

Well it sounded fine to me, but it's just so danged dark, so it's strictly music for when I'm in the mood for darkness.

Robert

Quote from: DavidW on April 23, 2007, 06:26:57 PM
I have a cd of his string quartets, when caught listening to it I was told that it sounded like "somebody dropping knives on the floor, but not as musical."  ::)

Well it sounded fine to me, but it's just so danged dark, so it's strictly music for when I'm in the mood for darkness.
The sun isn't shining much on the new one...listen to the darkness continue in the third.....you k now Kronos likes to work alot in the dark....