First prize?

Started by Saul, August 19, 2007, 05:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saul

Gustav Mahler International Conducting Competition 2007

Wheress the first prize winner?

http://www.bamberger-symphoniker.de/157.html?&L=1

Greta

I'm going to guess it's the same situation as the Sibelius Conducting Competition in 2005, where the jury thought no one truly worthy of the first prize, so did not award it.

This article from Playbill affirms that: Second Gustav Mahler Conducting Competition Ends Without First Prize Winner

mahlertitan

well, that sucked, for the korean girl.

Saul

The whole thing seems to be very strange.

greg

yep, that happens sometimes. One year when Ligeti was the judge of the Toru Takemitsu competition award, no one got any prizes (there were only 45 submitted works, though).
usually there's 3-5 winners

LaciDeeLeBlanc

Whoa!! Hans Graf was one of the judges for this competition!!! Wow!  I love watching him conduct, he's so awesome!!

dtwilbanks

I like that. "No prizes for you!"

BachQ

It's obvious: they didn't have enough money to award a first prize, so they skipped it and jumped down to the much cheaper 2nd prize ..........

LaciDeeLeBlanc

Quote from: D Minor on August 20, 2007, 07:24:53 AM
It's obvious: they didn't have enough money to award a first prize, so they skipped it and jumped down to the much cheaper 2nd prize ..........

Hahaha!! I like that idea.

Shi-Yeon Sung obviously did get enough recognition from her participation in these competitions.  I read on that she's got a gig as assistant conductor for the Boston Symphony under James Levine. That's great!

Renfield

Quote from: greg on August 20, 2007, 05:47:39 AM
One year when Ligeti was the judge of the Toru Takemitsu competition award, no one got any prizes (there were only 45 submitted works, though).
usually there's 3-5 winners

For some reason, the word "pwnt" comes to mind. ;D

But I guess Ligeti knew what he was doing... ;)

Regarding the Gustav Mahler competition, it's the one Dudamel won last year: if they gave first prize to someone visibly less competent, it would be considered a "lowering of standards", I assume. And yeah, Hans Graf is quite an interesting conductor! I once listened to a Mozart 41st by him and the Mozarteum Orchestra, and was most impressed. 8)

Greta

Yes, he has done a lot of good over here in Houston, especially coming back after the flood his first year and then the orchestra's strike, I have heard some of their first recording together of Stravinsky and was very impressed. I will be going often this year and am really looking forward to the season (especially the M2 ;D).

LaciDee, did you go to Graf's Mahler 6 a year or two ago here? I heard it was "devastatingly" good! I was out of the country then unfortunately...

Re. the Mahler competition, I would wager the young conductors who can do great Mahler are likely already gainfully employed somewhere, and hence didn't bother with entering, which is a shame.

MishaK

Quote from: Greta on August 21, 2007, 04:24:59 AM
Re. the Mahler competition, I would wager the young conductors who can do great Mahler are likely already gainfully employed somewhere, and hence didn't bother with entering, which is a shame.

IIRC, all of the entrants are gainfully employed at least as someone's assistant. I doubt anyone who is not yet famous would pass up the opportunity to compete in a competition like this one that has the potential of jump-starting a career.