Don't. Caveman look!
3 (17.6%)
Electric. Screw the environment!
5 (29.4%)
Disposable. Money to burn!
2 (11.8%)
Straight razor. Live on the edge!
0 (0%)
Double edge. If it was good enough for grand-dad it's good enough for me!
6 (35.3%)
Single edge. Grand-dad was half right!
0 (0%)
Banana. Makes quite a mess!
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Ken B

Quote from: Draško on June 20, 2018, 08:18:29 AM
It is. Polsilver is superb, my favorite blade. Can't find it locally lately though.
I got a bunch from Sweden through eBay at a good price, about 17 cents a blade. Locally I saw them at $1.50 a blade!!

Draško

Quote from: Ken B on June 20, 2018, 08:22:12 AM
I got a bunch from Sweden through eBay at a good price, about 17 cents a blade. Locally I saw them at $1.50 a blade!!

Yeah, I'll go for ebay as well if local store that used to carry them doesn't re-stock.

Daverz

Never could grow a beard worth a damn.  I use one of those razors with a gazillion edges, but I use them practically indefinitely; the prices for new blades are ridiculous.

aleazk

I oscillate between caveman and electric. For the last months it has been caveman. To keep with the style, I also use the same clothes all the time.

ritter

Gentlemen, re. Polsilver Super Iridium blades (of which I had never heard of until today), it seems production has ceased. Stock up as soon as you can...

TD:

I too use one if these Gillette multi-blade contraptions (one with a little engine that makes it shake—don't understand why that helps the shaving process, but if I don't have it on, I miss it  ;D). But I don't use it that often, as I sport a full beard (have done so for st least 12 years), and tend to go to the barber's every ten days or so to have it trimmed and groomed. 10 years ago, it was not an easy task to find barbers in Madrid who do beards, now there seems to be one at every corner.  ::)

NikF

Quote from: ritter on June 20, 2018, 10:52:42 AM
Gentlemen, re. Polsilver Super Iridium blades (of which I had never heard of until today), it seems production has ceased. Stock up as soon as you can...

TD:

I too use one if these Gillette multi-blade contraptions (one with a little engine that makes it shake—don't understand why that helps the shaving process, but if I don't have it on, I miss it  ;D). But I don't use it that often, as I sport a full beard (have done so for st least 12 years), and tend to go to the barber's every ten days or so to have it trimmed and groomed. 10 years ago, it was not an easy task to find barbers in Madrid who do beards, now there seems to be one at every corner::)

That's it, got to keep the grooming going on a regular basis.  8) Yeah, barbers/beards - there's been a resurgence over here of barbers who tend to the facial hair. Many of them are Turkish, some giving themselves the title of 'Master Barber'. And they do so much business it appears the proverbial licence to print money. Years ago I used to do headshots for some of their establishments. And speaking of which...

... I've never had a beard, but I used to have my hair cut once a week, when for a shoot we'd have make-up and wardrobe and a hairdresser come in. Back then along with a full head of hair I'd enough charm so that after finishing work the request 'Any chance you could give my hair a quick tidy up, please?' receive the desired response. Then as my hair thinned and receded and fell the question became 'Do you have clippers I could borrow for a moment?'  ;D

e: anyway, today was head shaving day - once a week with a Wilkinson Sword blade, finished with a threatening stare and sneer into the mirror.    :laugh:
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

André

I don't go for electric shave, because it totally misses the essential ingredient, the one that makes shaving a moment of morning bliss: the cream. This is my favourite, by far:

Draško

Quote from: ritter on June 20, 2018, 10:52:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up, had no idea. I'll pick up a hundred or two off ebay while still possible. 

XB-70 Valkyrie

Interesting. I was just thinking about this the other day wondering why so many men, especially younger ones (30s and younger), seem to be so fascinated by shaving paraphenalia, and why shaving stores are popping up all over the place. Maybe shaving with a blade is one of the few activities that one really has to pay attention to! Driving, eating, working, evacuating one's bowels (cannot fathom this one, but I hear it all the time in teh men's room!), and nearly everything else people do are routinely done with a phone in hand.

Maybe shaving represents one of the few excuses a modern person has to get away from a damn screen and have a few minutes of peace.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

André

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on June 20, 2018, 04:31:35 PM
Interesting. I was just thinking about this the other day wondering why so many men, especially younger ones (30s and younger), seem to be so fascinated by shaving paraphenalia, and why shaving stores are popping up all over the place. Maybe shaving with a blade is one of the few activities that one really has to pay attention to! Driving, eating, working, evacuating one's bowels (cannot fathom this one, but I hear it all the time in teh men's room!), and nearly everything else people do are routinely done with a phone in hand.

Maybe shaving represents one of the few excuses a modern person has to get away from a damn screen and have a few minutes of peace.

As close to truth as could be in my case  :(.

Mookalafalas

I touch shave in the shower.  Every two or three years I'll grow a beard for about 6 months. It goes down to a vandyke, then a mustache and soul patch, then a soul patch, and then clean shaven til the next round. Now my facial hair is almost all gray (but not my head-hair), so I don't like the look as well--adds about 10 years to me.

As for the blade, I always used a double blade, but recently bought one of those 4 blade monstrosities on a whim. It's kind of fun, but not really better than a regular razor.
It's all good...