My book will be published soon!

Started by springrite, February 22, 2018, 08:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Hello everyone!
My book, titled "Explosion of Joy -- A memoir of the grief counselor for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370" will be published soon!
It will initially be published independently, and we are looking to be picked up by a publishing house (possibly a university press) later.

I am still looking for endorsement from prominent people. If you have someone to recommend, do let me know and I will send the manuscript!
Same if you know someone at a publishing house!

I have this endorsement from Dr. Ellen Weber: "Explosion of Joy is an extraordinary tribute to counselor Paul Yin and to grieving families of Malaysia Flight 370 disaster. The book illustrates kindness, compassion, advocacy, activism and faith in the face of aviation tragedy. Discover joy and be spellbound in its wake."

Paul
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mahlerian

I'm sorry that I can't help with providing connections, but congratulations on finishing the book!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 22, 2018, 09:30:55 AM
Warm wishes for success!
Thanks!

You may be interested in the fact that The Word Maestro (Mel) is in one of the chapters.

Maybe the pastor at your church can write an endorsement.  ;)

bwv 1080

QuotePaul Yin, after studying psychology in California, fought hard to chip away at "political thought correction" in China to replace it with real, beneficial counseling. He has lectured to thousands of crowds, trained thousands of counselors, and was instrumental in establishing the Employee Assistance Program in China and parts of Africa. Paul has provided counseling to victims and families of several Chinese National disasters: SARS, the Sichuan Earthquake, Asiana Airlines 214 Disaster, and, most recently, MH370. Paul helped China realize the need for psychology, and he describes the ways he helped people find joy despite unspeakable grief.

That is awesome, what great work - all of that would make a great documentary

as an aside I always wondered about the level of post-traumatic stress for the older generation in China that endured the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution

springrite

Quote from: bwv 1080 on February 22, 2018, 09:44:19 AM
That is awesome, what great work - all of that would make a great documentary

as an aside I always wondered about the level of post-traumatic stress for the older generation in China that endured the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution

You can add at least half a century worth of trauma on top of that, from the boxer rebellion, to half a century of civil war with Japanese invasion sandwiched in between. Communism brought a period of relief until...

bwv 1080

Quote from: springrite on February 22, 2018, 09:46:59 AM
You can add at least half a century worth of trauma on top of that, from the boxer rebellion, to half a century of civil war with Japanese invasion sandwiched in between. Communism brought a period of relief until...

True, then the Taiping rebellion and the Opium Wars - things pretty much sucked for you all since Qianlong died

My history is weak going back before the Qing, but seems like every dynastic change was a catastrophe for ordinary people.  Certainly the Ming-Qing was and of course the mongol invasion.

Karl Henning

Quote from: springrite on February 22, 2018, 09:36:29 AM
Thanks!

You may be interested in the fact that The Word Maestro (Mel) is in one of the chapters.

Maybe the pastor at your church can write an endorsement.  ;)

Let me ask!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pat B

Congratulations!

Please keep us posted regarding availability.

Mirror Image

Great news, Paul! I wish for continued success your way.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2018, 06:50:45 PM
Great news, Paul! I wish for continued success your way.
+1

It sounds like an extraordinary book and of great interest. I partly say this as I work as a (voluntary) grief counsellor myself for an organisation called Cruse in the UK. Although I don't really know anyone who could help with funding the project I very much hope that it goes ahead and hope to see the book one day myself.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Baron Scarpia

Congratulations. I take it the book is in English? Any plans for a Chinese edition?

Hollywood

Congrats! Wishing you all the best and great success with your book.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

springrite

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Congratulations Paul.
Have just ordered a copy of this book (from Amazon UK) which looks to be of extraordinary interest.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

I've wishlisted the Kindle edition, will pull the trigger after Easter.  (I.e., no chance I can read it before then.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

The book arrived today (v quick service from Amazon UK). I've already read the moving introduction and look forward to reading the rest. Does the red and white scarf that you have round you on the cover photo mean that you are a Manchester United supporter or does it have another significance? Great photo by the way.
8)

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2018, 10:43:19 AM
The book arrived today (v quick service from Amazon UK). I've already read the moving introduction and look forward to reading the rest. Does the red and white scarf that you have round you on the cover photo mean that you are a Manchester United supporter or does it have another significance? Great photo by the way.
8)

It is an Arsenal scarf. I am a gooner.

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on April 01, 2018, 07:39:37 PM
It is an Arsenal scarf. I am a gooner.

Well, I'm a Chelsea supporter but I forgive you.  8)

I'm enjoying your book very much and found the Mel episode very powerful and moving.