Joly Braga Santos

Started by Dundonnell, August 20, 2007, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on December 25, 2017, 11:27:50 AM
I share your enthusiasm about this symphony kyjo, and completely agreed. It's something incredibly marvelous, certainly one of the most uplifting scores ever created. Braga Santos was inspired by the folk Portuguese music when composed it, and I say: wow, the Portuguese music is heavenly! The 4th movement, for me, is like the true bliss land, where problems don't exist, just happiness and joy. Symphonies like this one are ranked so high by me, symphonies where I can perceive the human soul, the positive side of human beings.

I completely agree! It's indeed one of the most optimistic works I know. As much as I love the turbulently emotional, dark music of Mahler, Shostakovich, etc. I must say that I find myself wanting to return more often to works like Braga Santos' 4th because of their deeply uplifting quality. The same applies to certain other composers such as Atterberg, Martinu, Hanson, and Piston who so often wrote music that conveys exuberant joy at a time when many other composers were writing either experimental/serialist music or music that reflects the horrors of current wars and other events. I find that a lot of the more optimistic, accessible music of the 20th century (of which Braga Santos' first four symphonies are prime examples) is severely neglected in the concert hall nowadays, which is a real shame, as audiences would likely respond very positively to it!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Braga Santos is an excellent composer. I prefer him much more to his teacher, Freitas Branco. There's something about Braga Santos' musical language that appeals to me. Whether it be those lively rhythms, his harmonic vocabulary, or just the sheer power of his music, I always come away feeling glad I revisited the work of his I just listened to.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 25, 2017, 01:49:33 PM
Braga Santos is an excellent composer. I prefer him much more to his teacher, Freitas Branco. There's something about Braga Santos' musical language that appeals to me. Whether it be those lively rhythms, his harmonic vocabulary, or just the sheer power of his music, I always come away feeling glad I revisited the work of his I just listened to.

Great to see you're a fan, John (even though you don't think much of the 4th Symphony :o)! What are your favorite works of his?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on December 25, 2017, 06:37:38 PM
Great to see you're a fan, John (even though you don't think much of the 4th Symphony :o)! What are your favorite works of his?

Well, I wouldn't call myself a 'fan', because there aren't a whole lot of his works I enjoy. My two favorite works out of everything I've heard are his Symphony No. 2 and the ballet Encruzilhada (Crossroads). These two works really stand out to me, but that's about it.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 25, 2017, 07:01:23 PM
Well, I wouldn't call myself a 'fan', because there aren't a whole lot of his works I enjoy. My two favorite works out of everything I've heard are his Symphony No. 2 and the ballet Encruzilhada (Crossroads). These two works really stand out to me, but that's about it.

Ah, I see. Well those are two outstanding works indeed! The Symphony no. 2 has a particularly beautiful slow movement and a moving epilogue. I remember there was one movement from Crossroads that was particularly lovely - probably the Pas de deux.

SymphonicAddict

The Concerto for strings is worthy, too, and belongs to the same period of the Symphony No. 4, the Variations on an Alentejo Theme and the Symphonic Overture No. 3.

vandermolen

Very much agree with Kyle , Caesar and John about Symphony 4 - a terrific score. I also like symphonies 1 - 3, especially No.3 and the Naxos 'Alfama' CD was a great discovery. As for Freitas-Branco I was also rather disappointed until I heard Symphony 4 which I'd strongly recommend.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 25, 2017, 01:49:33 PM
Braga Santos is an excellent composer....There's something about Braga Santos' musical language that appeals to me...

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 25, 2017, 07:01:23 PM
Well, I wouldn't call myself a 'fan', because there aren't a whole lot of his works I enjoy.

;D :D ;D ....Come on, John, make up your mind  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 26, 2017, 04:45:54 AM
;D :D ;D ....Come on, John, make up your mind  ;)

Sarge

It's possible to hold two, apparently, contradictory positions in the mind at the same time.

John is clearly a Zen Master.

8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 26, 2017, 06:16:02 AM
It's possible to hold two, apparently, contradictory positions in the mind at the same time.

John is clearly a Zen Master.

8)

Yes, I now look like this:

;D

vandermolen

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on December 25, 2017, 07:15:17 PM
Ah, I see. Well those are two outstanding works indeed! The Symphony no. 2 has a particularly beautiful slow movement and a moving epilogue. I remember there was one movement from Crossroads that was particularly lovely - probably the Pas de deux.
Definitely the pas de deux - it has a melody that will haunt you for days.  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

kyjo

My fellow Braga Santos fans should find much to enjoy in a great discovery I just made, the Symphonic Variations Margariteña by Venezualan composer Inocente Carreño (1919-2016). I just heard it played by the Pittsburgh Symphony tonight under the fantastic young Venezuelan conductor Rafael Payare. To my ears, the work shares much in common with Braga Santos' accessible, melodic, and folksy style, so I thought it would be worth mentioning here. Here's a performance by the Simon Bolivár orchestra under Dudamel: https://youtu.be/LCoC0cyyPFw

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 26, 2018, 10:03:25 PM
My fellow Braga Santos fans should find much to enjoy in a great discovery I just made, the Symphonic Variations Margariteña by Venezualan composer Inocente Carreño (1919-2016). I just heard it played by the Pittsburgh Symphony tonight under the fantastic young Venezuelan conductor Rafael Payare. To my ears, the work shares much in common with Braga Santos' accessible, melodic, and folksy style, so I thought it would be worth mentioning here. Here's a performance by the Simon Bolivár orchestra under Dudamel: https://youtu.be/LCoC0cyyPFw

You are quite right Kyle - it is a very nice Braga-Santos-like discovery which I very much enjoyed hearing. Must look out for more by this composer. Many thanks for posting the link.
:)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2018, 02:19:45 AMYou are quite right Kyle - it is a very nice Braga-Santos-like discovery which I very much enjoyed hearing. Must look out for more by this composer. Many thanks for posting the link.  :)
Jeffrey acts as the official spokesperson for all so-called BSE ('Braga Santos Experts'). Fully seconded.  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 27, 2018, 07:50:04 AM
Jeffrey acts as the official spokesperson for all so-called BSE ('Braga Santos Experts'). Fully seconded.  :D
;D

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2018, 02:19:45 AM
You are quite right Kyle - it is a very nice Braga-Santos-like discovery which I very much enjoyed hearing. Must look out for more by this composer. Many thanks for posting the link.

Glad you enjoyed it, Jeffrey (and Johan)! :) I've spotted a couple other orchestral works of Carreño on YouTube - must check them out.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 27, 2018, 03:49:22 PM
Glad you enjoyed it, Jeffrey (and Johan)! :) I've spotted a couple other orchestral works of Carreño on YouTube - must check them out.
Definitely Kyle. Pity there's not more on CD but good for my bank balance I guess.

vandermolen

Great to hear some JBS on the radio when I turned on BBC Radio 3 just after 9.00am. The final dance of the 'Alfama Suite'. First time I've heard any of his music broadcast.

And here is the great man himself with his family.