Joly Braga Santos

Started by Dundonnell, August 20, 2007, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_espansiva

Quote from: vandermolen on May 29, 2008, 01:13:13 AM
Yes, I see what you mean, but I think that the end of Symphony No 3 is great and does not go on for a moment too long.

Quote from: karlhenning on May 29, 2008, 08:12:55 AM
Hurwitz doesn't sound as if he wished the symphony at all shorter than it is . . . .

I haven't listened to the first three movements yet (not recently) , so I suspect my comments about the finale of No 4 being overlong are somewhat out of context, and that shortening it would cause balance problems with the rest of the symphony.

Whatever the shortcomings or not of his music, he could certainly write a damn good tune, and I reckon one of his symphonies would go down a storm at a Proms concert - what are the chances ...
Espansiva - the Inextinguishable desire for chocolate.

Dundonnell

I think that you know the answer to that!

NIL......sadly :( :(

Christo

Saw the refreshed Naxos site, today. Next month will see the first release in the announced series of Luís de Freitas Branco's symphonies, starting with his First - coupled with the Scherzo fantastique & Suite alentejana No. 1:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 01, 2008, 09:44:15 AM
Saw the refreshed Naxos site, today. Next month will see the first release in the announced series of Luís de Freitas Branco's symphonies, starting with his First - coupled with the Scherzo fantastique & Suite alentejana No. 1:

Thanks Johan, that's interesting news. I expect that you'll be putting on your clogs to run down to the CD shop to buy it (but is it possible to run in clogs?) ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on June 01, 2008, 09:44:15 AM

Thanks for that news!

I got quite excited=for a few seconds-when I saw the first release in a series of Malipiero symphonies...until I realised that it was the re-release of the Almeida set from Marco Polo, sadly let down by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra's manifest unfamiliarity with the idiom!

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2008, 10:03:27 AM
Thanks Johan, that's interesting news. I expect that you'll be putting on your clogs to run down to the CD shop to buy it (but is it possible to run in clogs?) ;D

Who's talking about running in them ?   8)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2008, 10:03:27 AM

Certainly clogs have to be run in, ignore the remark of Christo about this, all he had on his feet were leather shoes so how should he know. I on the other hand I have walked on them, and in the garden still do, for 25 years so, I should know about the running in business.  ;D ;D ;D
Johan no offense meant, do you hear? ;)

karlhenning

It is time that I made the acquaintance of the rest of Braga Santos's symphonies . . . .

Christo

Quote from: Harry on June 01, 2008, 02:19:53 PM
Certainly clogs have to be run in, ignore the remark of Christo about this, all he had on his feet were leather shoes so how should he know. I on the other hand I have walked on them, and in the garden still do, for 25 years so, I should know about the running in business.  ;D ;D ;D
Johan no offense meant, do you hear? ;)

Dear Harry, you misread me. Again. :'( I did use to wear clogs in my life, quite often, even. ;D Of this type, to be precise:

But no: I'm certainly not angry with you. How could I???   :) ;) 0:) 8)

Brian

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 01, 2008, 10:04:51 AM
Thanks for that news!

I got quite excited=for a few seconds-when I saw the first release in a series of Malipiero symphonies...until I realised that it was the re-release of the Almeida set from Marco Polo, sadly let down by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra's manifest unfamiliarity with the idiom!
Indeed, I was a bit disappointed too; Naxos should at least re-release the superior performances from their back-catalog if they intend to do so!  :(

Anyways, my first listen right now to the music of Joly Braga Santos. Specifically, this disc:

So far I am loving it! The Variations were phenomenal - a piece that deserves to be a "popular" classic with a mainstay position in concert halls. It would go down well with almost any audience!

Dundonnell

Excellent, Brian!

Hope we have another convert here! :)

Brian

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 02, 2008, 06:16:13 PM
Excellent, Brian!

Hope we have another convert here! :)
I think the second movement of the Fourth Symphony is about to convert me in a very serious way.  :D

Brian

Quote from: Brian on June 02, 2008, 06:24:20 PM
I think the second movement of the Fourth Symphony is about to convert me in a very serious way.  :D
The finale seals the deal. This is an extraordinary symphony. I must hear more!  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on June 02, 2008, 06:53:20 PM
The finale seals the deal. This is an extraordinary symphony. I must hear more!  :D

Very pleased that you like it so much! No 3 is my next favourite...great inspiriting finale.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Yesterday's revisitations included the one-act ballet Encruzilhada (Crossroads) and the Sixth Symphony; and the more I listen, the better I like them (and I started out liking them from the initial listens).

Sergeant Rock

Well, this has been an interesting read (thank you, gentlemen). A composer I don't know at all but one I think I'll like. Without hearing any samples (just on the recommendations of the good folks here) I ordered the four Marco Polo CDs of the symphonies from amazon.de. They were in stock and for a good price (€7.99 each). Should have them in my hands by the end of the week.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Well, there you are, Sarge: if Harvey Korman is enthusiastic: . . .

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 03, 2008, 08:40:24 AM

Exactly...if it's good enough for Hedley, it's good enough for me.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on June 03, 2008, 08:40:24 AM
JBS' symphonies are aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 03, 2008, 08:35:20 AM
Well, this has been an interesting read (thank you, gentlemen). A composer I don't know at all but one I think I'll like.....

Well, I'm in the same 'frame of mind' as Sarge - I'm amazed that this thread has gone on for so many pages - we've had a bunch of 'lesser known' composers in other threads (some of which I've started!) that seem to go no where, but the interest in this composer is captivating!

Consequently, I've ordered a couple of CDs which should arrive shortly - really looking forward to see what all of the fuss is about?  ;) ;D