Joly Braga Santos

Started by Dundonnell, August 20, 2007, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: SonicMan on June 03, 2008, 05:59:35 PM
Well, I'm in the same 'frame of mind' as Sarge - I'm amazed that this thread has gone on for so many pages - we've had a bunch of 'lesser known' composers in other threads (some of which I've started!) that seem to go no where, but the interest in this composer is captivating!

Consequently, I've ordered a couple of CDs which should arrive shortly - really looking forward to see what all of the fuss is about?  ;) ;D

Okay, I'll come clean! I must speak out! This is going too well... This whole thread has been an experiment (conducted by Dundonnell, vandermolen, Christo and other so-called 'Braga Santos experts') to see whether an inordinate amount of enthusiasm could persuade people to buy CDs by a deservedly unknown third-rater from Portugal (of all places). I was the first victim of this 'viral' scam. Only shame prevented me from disclosing the terrible truth earlier.

Sorry, guys, you're on Candid Camera Musica.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on June 03, 2008, 10:31:20 PM
Okay, I'll come clean! I must speak out! This is going too well... This whole thread has been an experiment (conducted by Dundonnell, vandermolen, Christo and other so-called 'Braga Santos experts') to see whether an inordinate amount of enthusiasm could persuade people to buy CDs by a deservedly unknown third-rater from Portugal (of all places). I was the first victim of this 'viral' scam. Only shame prevented me from disclosing the terrible truth earlier.

The other thing that perceptive observers may have noticed about this long-running thread is that it is inhabited mainly, but not exclusively, by charming mad dutchmen who wear clogs and consume Edam cheese and a few sensible British or Scottish types like myself and Dundonnell  ;D Although as "van der molen" is a dutch name, I guess that I am half mad myself ;D

I would point out, in response to Johan's above posting that at my wedding, my brother, in a speech, stated that my new wife was "doomed to years of listening to music by deservedly neglected composers" ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2008, 12:30:25 AM
I would point out, in response to Johan's above posting that at my wedding, my brother, in a speech, stated that my new wife was "doomed to years of listening to music by deservedly neglected composers" ::)

I don't know why, but my wife just asked for your brother's address.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

pjme

The other thing that perceptive observers may have noticed about this long-running thread is that it is inhabited mainly, but not exclusively, by charming mad dutchmen who wear clogs and consume Edam cheese and a few sensible British or Scottish types like myself and Dundonnell  ;D Although as "van der molen" is a dutch name, I guess that I am half mad myself ;D

Well, you can add some Mad Belgians aswell.....Hardly any clogs left here, but I have - and love - all the JBS symphonies . Nrs 3 and 6 are my favorites.

Peter

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on June 04, 2008, 02:28:45 AM
Well, you can add some Mad Belgians aswell.....Hardly any clogs left here, but I have - and love - all the JBS symphonies . Nrs 3 and 6 are my favorites.

Peter

Mad Belgians are more than welcome  :)

Actually there are some lesser known Belgian composers whose music I greatly admire (I think they're Belgian anyway!)

Devreese (Gothic Symphony, In Memoriam...great works)

Meulemans "Pliny's Fountain" (beautiful work)

Sternefeld (powerful Symphony on Marco Polo)

+ there is my love for the Tintin books, but that's another story!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

The other thing that perceptive observers may have noticed about this long-running thread is that it is inhabited mainly, but not exclusively, by charming mad dutchmen who wear clogs and consume Edam cheese

How interesting indeed! I would be interested to learn their names & adresses!  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on June 03, 2008, 05:21:49 PM
JBS' symphonies are aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention!

God darnit, Brian, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

;D :D ;D   we've been punk'd by the Dutch!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2008, 02:52:22 AM
+ there is my love for the Tintin books, but that's another story!

It will please you then, Jeffrey, that Captain Haddock's castle is called, in Dutch, 'Molensloot'!

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 04, 2008, 03:35:22 AM
God darnit, Brian, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

Well, that saves you the agony of choice next time.

Dundonnell

Quote from: SonicMan on June 03, 2008, 05:59:35 PM
Well, I'm in the same 'frame of mind' as Sarge - I'm amazed that this thread has gone on for so many pages - we've had a bunch of 'lesser known' composers in other threads (some of which I've started!) that seem to go no where, but the interest in this composer is captivating!

Ditto!

Quote from: Brian on June 03, 2008, 05:21:49 PM
JBS' symphonies are aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention!

Are you being serious!! :)

Oh Johan, why did you have to tell them?? The scam was going SO well!!

I am planning an expedition to sell ice to the Eskimos next :) :)

I am SO grateful to you for NOT mentioning KILTS again!! :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 04, 2008, 04:56:26 AM
Are you being serious!! :)

It's a quote from the Hedley Lamarr character in Blazing Saddles (as is my reply to Brian, a quote from the movie that is; different character)....but I'm sure it was meant in all seriousness  ;)

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 04, 2008, 05:47:14 AM
It's a quote from the Hedley Lamarr character in Blazing Saddles (as is my reply to Brian, a quote from the movie that is; different character)....but I'm sure it was meant in all seriousness  ;)

Sarge

I didn't know it was a quote from Blazing Saddles...

I thought it was strong stuff (not that you aren't capable of coming up with strong stuff)!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on June 04, 2008, 06:05:28 AM
I didn't know it was a quote from Blazing Saddles...

I thought it was strong stuff (not that you aren't capable of coming up with strong stuff)!

No, I can't claim that line as my own. I owe it all to Mel Brooks.

Sarge

Thom

It is maybe because I also belong to that tribe of mad Dutch "clog'ers"  ;), but so far I have been listening to the 3d and 4th symphonies and I find these wonderful. A great find, again.

Thom

Brian

Quote from: Jezetha on June 04, 2008, 03:49:38 AM
Well, that saves you the agony of choice next time.
Oh dear.  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on June 04, 2008, 01:34:02 AM
I don't know why, but my wife just asked for your brother's address.

Actually, a 'friend' informed me that my brother could simply have ended his speech after the word 'doomed' >:(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2008, 07:04:11 AM
Actually, a 'friend' informed me that my brother could simply have ended his speech after the word 'doomed' >:(

I hope he was joking! What was this friend's name? Corporal Frazer?!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 04, 2008, 05:47:14 AM

Sarge

Ah.......! Good film, great character(actor sadly died recently, I see).

Don't think that even I would put Braga Santos THAT high but three cheers for enthusiasm which doesn't beat about the bush(if you can have such a strange concept :))

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on June 04, 2008, 08:08:14 AM
I hope he was joking! What was this friend's name? Corporal Frazer?!

Nothing like a funny Scotsman, is there? :) :)

Go on...tell us there is Dutch comedy to match classic British TV!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 04, 2008, 08:13:15 AM
Nothing like a funny Scotsman, is there? :) :)

If you take out the Scotsmen, you take out the magic.

QuoteGo on...tell us there is Dutch comedy to match classic British TV!

No, there isn't it. There is a great theatrical tradition in the British Isles, which the Dutch lack. We do have cabaret, though, and there we have done something interesting. I love the classic British radio and TV comedies for the quality of the writing, the diversity, the great acting. The Dutch excel primarily at painting and trading, and there are a few good writers, poets and composers. But real comedic heights that would be an experience for non-Dutch audiences haven't yet been scaled...