Joly Braga Santos

Started by Dundonnell, August 20, 2007, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 04, 2008, 03:55:47 PM
Holds hands up :-[ It does often exasperate me when the contributions to threads veer off into the surreal but hey at the end of the day it's only a bit of harmless fun mid serious discussion!

Absolutely, and I know it's tempting fate but this has been a very good thread. I too am guilty of indulging in inane banter about mad Dutchmen and clogs etc, but I am  firmly back on the rails now. Tonight I hope to listen to my BS "Music for Strings" CD on Marco Polo.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Ok - this is positive news. I'll give symphony nr 2 ( at almost 50 mins a BIG work!) a spin tonight...

(Fairly) unknown composers can be inspiring! Keep up the good work.
P.

Dundonnell

Quote from: pjme on June 05, 2008, 02:30:08 AM
Ok - this is positive news. I'll give symphony nr 2 ( at almost 50 mins a BIG work!) a spin tonight...

(Fairly) unknown composers can be inspiring! Keep up the good work.
P.

Ok, I have said it before but if anyone can resist the big tune in the Adagio of the 2nd then they must indeed have a hard heart! It just bowls me over each time I hear it. But then I suppose I am just a soft sentimentalist at heart :)

Thom

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 05, 2008, 02:36:20 AM
But then I suppose I am just a soft sentimentalist at heart

Those are mostly nice people  :D

Christo

Still on sale at Amazon.co.uk (for just about GBP 189  ;), but cheaper elsewhere; JPC even used to offer it for 5 Euros, not so long ago) is another Braga Santos disc from the late '90s that I think hasn't been mentioned here, yet.

I bought it back in 1999, during my first Braga Santos fever, after having discovered his music via the Portugalsom series (Marco Polo only started theirs a couple of years later). It contains the Staccato brilhante, Divertimento no. 2, Concerto in D and Sinfonietta for - now all available in the Marco Polo series as well (and Cassuto's recordings are generally better too).

But it finishes with another early piece, that shows Braga Santos remarkable talent as a student. The Elegia a Vianna da Motta from 1948 is a heartfelt elegy for his once famous compatriot Vianna da Motta (a concert pianist, Liszt pupil, and friend of Busoni) of quite some substance, taking almost 10 minutes.

It's also availabe in a Portugalsom recording coupled with the Três Esboços Sinfónicos and Variações Sinfónicas Sobre Um Tema Alentejano - but the CD suffers from a very poor recording quality. That said, anyone with an interest in his later style, starting from the early 1960s, should not only try the Sinfonietta for Strings (1963), but even more so the Três Esboços Sinfónicos (Three Symphonic Sketches) from 1961, because this piece really represents the missing link between the early and late Braga Santos.

Perhaps I should post here some of these pieces from long deleted discs?

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

Just found a 2000 Musicweb review by Rob Barnett of all the (once) available Portugalsom recordings, with the one I mentioned among them:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2000/apr00/santos.htm

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Thom

Quote from: Christo on June 05, 2008, 04:53:32 AM
Perhaps I should post here some of these pieces from long deleted discs?

That would be nice, Christo! Thanks.

Thom

vandermolen

I would love to hear the Portugalsom recordings of Symphony 3 or 4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2008, 06:57:36 AM
I would love to hear the Portugalsom recordings of Symphony 3 or 4.

Great minds think alike...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

pjme

Jezetha, I bought that CD some years ago in a small recordshop in Lisbon. Agreed, the recording is mediocre, but the music is indeed very fine.  Now, if we all write to the Concertgebouw....???

P.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Thom on June 05, 2008, 03:58:55 AM
Those are mostly nice people  :D

Aaaah :-[ Not for me to say :)

Christo

Quote from: Jezetha on June 05, 2008, 08:07:32 AM
Great minds think alike...

... as do small ones. But I think - quess -  Peter is referring to the poor quality of the Portugalsom recording of the Fourth, which, however much praise it receives from Rob Barnett, isn't that special and indeed cannot compare with Cassuto's version with his Irish orchestra for Marco Polo. And btw the choral version of the final movement isn't a good idea either.

Portugalsom/Cassuto's Third however, with the LSO, is superb imho.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 05, 2008, 11:00:02 AM

This is the one I especially want to hear.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2008, 11:53:55 AM
This is the one I especially want to hear.

Exactly - me too! The Third made an immediate impression on me. Having two interpretations would make me very happy.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

pjme

Quote from: Christo on June 05, 2008, 11:00:02 AM
... as do small ones. But I think - quess -  Peter is referring to the poor quality of the Portugalsom recording of the Fourth, which, however much praise it receives from Rob Barnett, isn't that special and indeed cannot compare with Cassuto's version with his Irish orchestra for Marco Polo. And btw the choral version of the final movement isn't a good idea either.

That's correct ( idem for the Alentejo vars.) .
I just finished listening to the second  mov.of symph.nr 2....Really lovely - lush & grand...Amazing ,he was only 23 when he wrote this. And he knows how to counter-balance the grandiloquence with sadness.

P.

Dundonnell

Quote from: pjme on June 05, 2008, 12:33:50 PM
That's correct ( idem for the Alentejo vars.) .
I just finished listening to the second  mov.of symph.nr 2....Really lovely - lush & grand...Amazing ,he was only 23 when he wrote this. And he knows how to counter-balance the grandiloquence with sadness.

P.

"lovely", "lush", "grand", "grandiloquence", "sadness". Yes, all of these words are particularly apt. So glad that you liked it :)

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

A new convert: me! Bought No.4 and ordered now the rest of Amazon (partners), the Marco polo discs.

#4: - I love the andante most.
- the final movement sounds very british IMO. Reminds me of Holst Planets sometimes.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Welcome to our Joly Band of Braga Brothers, Wurstwasser!

Harry

Well I have most of them, so now to find time to play them, O, the choice I have is devastating ;D

vandermolen

As one of the 'so-called Braga Santos experts' (Jezetha), I welcome you to the club too!

I am, at this very moment, greatly enjoying a newly released CD of Symphony No 2 by Braga Santos's teacher, Luis De Freitas Branco which, in places, does sound like the music of Braga Santos.