Joly Braga Santos

Started by Dundonnell, August 20, 2007, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 28, 2008, 11:31:22 AM
I am, at this very moment, greatly enjoying a newly released CD of Symphony No 2 by Braga Santos's teacher, Luis De Freitas Branco which, in places, does sound like the music of Braga Santos.

You make us all curious! I know about the recent release of the First, by Naxos. Did they, or anyone else, really start with the Second? (Once, they were available on the Portugalsom label, but I only succeeded in finding the First, coupled with the Alentejo Suite no. 2, and never heard one of the others, so far).

Quote from: Harry on June 28, 2008, 04:53:23 AM
O, the choice I have is devastating ;D

But even more so for us!   ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 28, 2008, 11:35:55 AM
You make us all curious! I know about the recent release of the First, by Naxos. Did they, or anyone else, really start with the Second? (Once, they were available on the Portugalsom label, but I only succeeded in finding the First, coupled with the Alentejo Suite no. 2, and never heard one of the others, so far).

But even more so for us!   ;)

Johan,

Here is the link to the CD

Jeffrey

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fernandes-J-Violin-Concerto-Symphony/dp/B000ZOTD4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214686945&sr=1-2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

For those who are a bit confused: both Christo and myself are called Johan...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on June 28, 2008, 01:12:47 PM
For those who are a bit confused: both Christo and myself are called Johan...

Yes, and In the circumstances I'd suggest that you change your first name to Havergal in order to avoid any possible further confusion  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 28, 2008, 01:28:55 PM
Yes, and In the circumstances I'd suggest that you change your first name to Havergal in order to avoid any possible further confusion  ;D

Havergal Herrenberg has a nice ring to it, hasn't it?! Better than a mere Johan.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Quote from: Jezetha on June 28, 2008, 02:00:22 PM
Havergal Herrenberg has a nice ring to it, hasn't it?! Better than a mere Johan.

Make it Havergal Z. Herrenberg. HZH would make a majestic zig-zag sign, and offer the opportunity to change your nick too, into Hazetha, or the rather austere and Basque-looking Aitchzedaitch, ending up with H Forever, probably, in honour of your favourite forum member.  8)

Quote from: vandermolen on June 28, 2008, 01:04:36 PM
Johan, Here is the link to the CD
Jeffrey
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fernandes-J-Violin-Concerto-Symphony/dp/B000ZOTD4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214686945&sr=1-2

Of course! (Banging my head to the stereo). Had seen it before, buf forgotten, since I decided to wait for the new Naxos series. I suppose the First will be out, these days?

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on June 28, 2008, 11:58:52 PM
Make it Havergal Z. Herrenberg. HZH would make a majestic zig-zag sign, and offer the opportunity to change your nick too, into Hazetha, or the rather austere and Basque-looking Aitchzedaitch, ending up with H Forever, probably, in honour of your favourite forum member.  8)

I think you have surpassed yourself, Johan.  ;D ;D ;D

Dundonnell

The new Naxos version of Freitas Branco's 1st symphony should be released in the UK tomorrow and will(hopefully) be winging its way through the post to me.

I have just ordered the new CD of his 2nd symphony from Amazon at the good price of £6.53. One should, of course, be more patient and wait for Naxos to release it in due course but at that price the Atma disc is irresistable.

Add that disc to the Glazunov Saxophone Concerto and Pfitzner's Cantata "Das dunkle Reich" means that I have ordered 3 CDs through Amazon in the last three days! Oh dear!

karlhenning

Many of us have been there, Dundonnell . . . you are not alone.

johnQpublic

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 29, 2008, 04:02:19 AM
  I have ordered 3 CDs through Amazon in the last three days! Oh dear!

Were you a "good boy" and went through the Amazon link at the top of the page?  ;)

Dundonnell

Quote from: johnQpublic on June 29, 2008, 06:32:19 AM
Were you a "good boy" and went through the Amazon link at the top of the page?  ;)

Oh...ah....no! I obviously should have done so because it helps GMG does it? I didn't realise....sorry! Will try to remember in future :(

SonicMan46

Well, posted the two discs below in the 'listening thread' yesterday - my first experience w/ Braga Santos (and Branco) - have now listened to these recordings a number of times, and thoroughly enjoy both discs.  I really like the 'orchestral string works' on the Marco Polo label w/ Cassuto - just some beautiful melodic lines, folk inflections, and gorgeous string writing - it's a winner! Not sure that this link has been provided previously - but a MusicWeb Review HERE:D

The Branco/Santos disc is also thoroughly enjoyable - the 'neglected' Violin Concerto is ravishing and the Andante movement really takes your breath away w/ its melodic lines (of course, the violinist, Alexandre da Costa is just superb throughout the recording); also, love the Braga Santos works on the disc, i.e. Encruzilhada & Divertimento No. 1 - outstanding 10/10 review on ClassicsToday:)

Dundonnell

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 01, 2008, 04:00:17 PM
Link to Musicweb review of the new Naxos CD-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/July08/Freitas_Branco_570785.htm

Sounds good!

And it is!! Freitas Branco's 1st Symphony is a delightful work, full of energy and good tunes. The outer movements are very French in influence with echoes of Franck, Dukas and-sometimes-Alberic Magnard. The slow movement is delectable, very beautiful in a pastoral, Iberian idiom. Certainly makes me look forward to hearing No.2(very shortly!) and the others in due time.

I can't honestly say that Freitas Branco has replaced Braga Santos in my affections but he is clearly a composer of considerable merit and interest.

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 04, 2008, 04:42:47 PM
I can't honestly say that Freitas Branco has replaced Braga Santos in my affections but he is clearly a composer of considerable merit and interest.

Can't say fairer than that.

vandermolen

As I can't bear to be left out of all this ( :'() I am now the happy owner of Freitas-Branco's 1st Symphony on Naxos ( :)). I agree with Colin; what a fine work, especially the lovely slow movement. I can also detect the influence on Braga Santos (whose symphonies on Marco Polo are advertised in the Naxos CD case). I too prefer Braga Santos but this is clearly a composer worth discovering. I can recommend Symphony 2 which I have on the Atma label.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on July 05, 2008, 02:14:36 AM
As I can't bear to be left out of all this ( :'() I am now the happy owner of Freitas-Branco's 1st Symphony on Naxos ( :)). I agree with Colin; what a fine work, especially the lovely slow movement. I can also detect the influence on Braga Santos (whose symphonies on Marco Polo are advertised in the Naxos CD case). I too prefer Braga Santos but this is clearly a composer worth discovering. I can recommend Symphony 2 which I have on the Atma label.

No.2 arrived this morning :) I shall listen to it later and report back but I notice that the booklet notes say that it differs from No.1 in style to a marked degree.

(Also arrived this morning-Knut Nystedt's Sinfonia del Mare and 'The Burnt Sacrifice'(I had the latter on LP) and Boris Tishchenko's Dante Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2-which I anticipate will not make for easy listening! Goodness knows what my postman thinks delivering all these small parcels to me!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 05, 2008, 04:31:06 AM
Goodness knows what my postman thinks delivering all these small parcels to me!

If they're not from Holland, you're in the clear.

Dundonnell

vandermolen

Photo of Luis de Freitas Branco (1890-1945):