Joly Braga Santos

Started by Dundonnell, August 20, 2007, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

There are some people out there who never listen to classical music who have now heard of Braga Santos ;D  I tell all my friends about him ;D ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 09, 2008, 11:19:29 AM
There are some people out there who never listen to classical music who have now heard of Braga Santos ;D  I tell all my friends about him ;D ;D

Me too  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Good that you wipe the dust from this JBS thread, Jeffrey! I'm even thinking of yet another good reason and recent development:

Quote from: Jezetha on July 22, 2008, 01:45:21 AMYou won't be reading this till after you have returned from Crete, but let's answer the question: what I hear is no neoclassicism Stravinsky-style, but a stylistic return to the 19th century in its nationalist school manifestation, now on a Portuguese basis. But not in the way a Bartók or Enescu reinvent this.

Next Month, Naxos is going to release Cassuto's new recording, again with the Irish, the best orchestra to his disposal in this series IMHO, of Luís de Freitas Branco's Second Symphony - here (above) critically reviewed by Jezetha. It is coupled with one of Luís de Freitas Branco's finest orchestral achievements: Os paraisos artificiais (Artificial Paradises), and another tone poem, but one I don't know: Depois de uma leitura de Guerra Junqueiro (After a reading of Guerra Junqueiro).

See: http://www.naxos.com/upcomingreleases.asp. I look forward to the occasion!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

Although I have the Freitas Branco symphony already(my impatience!) I shall buy this new disc for the tone poems :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Nothing to add. I just wanted to make the circle of so-called BSEs complete.  ;D

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

pjme

BSE!

I'm looking forward to the Freitas/Naxos disc!

But for the moment :
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.

P.

Brian

What's BSE? I feel like I qualify but I want to know what the E stands for.  ;D

karlhenning

Dundonnell

Quote from: Brian on December 09, 2008, 04:47:38 PM
What's BSE? I feel like I qualify but I want to know what the E stands for.  ;D

BSE or " Mad Cow Disease" is properly known as Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy. It is a fatal neurodegenerative disease in cattle, causing a spongy degeneration in the brain and spinal cord. In Britain more than 179,000 cattle have been infected and around 4.4 million slaughtered during the eradication process. The...........

or sorry...wrong thread! ;D

BSE is a popular name for a small group of entirely self-appointed "Braga Santos Experts". These persons are very great admirers of the music of the Portugese composer, Joly Braga Santos(1924-1988). Originating with a few of the members of the online GMG Classical Music Forum. this group has adopted a proselytizing approach to the music of Braga Santos and is clearly anxious to recruit as many new members as possible in order to expand beyond their current base, mainly in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.

Further information can be obtained..........

J.Z. Herrenberg

Our Deputy Chairman puts it very well.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

pjme

Quote from: Jezetha on December 09, 2008, 10:15:05 PM
Our Deputy Chairman puts it very well.

;) ;)

Shall we all meet in Portugal, next summer? and talk about Braga while nipping dry sherry ?

Peter

Christo

Quote from: pjme on December 09, 2008, 10:38:47 PM
;) ;)

Shall we all meet in Portugal, next summer? and talk about Braga while nipping dry sherry ?

Peter

Sherry ? ? ? :-X In Portugal? That's like ordering for Sauerkraut (choucroute) in France.  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

The new erato

Quote from: Christo on December 09, 2008, 11:32:11 PM
That's like ordering for Sauerkraut (choucroute) in France.  ;)
I do it in Alsace all the time.....

Christo

Quote from: erato on December 10, 2008, 12:13:59 AM
I do it in Alsace all the time.....

Me too! (Otherwise I wouldn't have learned the word Choucroute  ;) ). But do you really consider the Alsace French;)

vandermolen

In point of fact the Dutch BSEs only drink bottled custard, delivered by the milkman. The Scottish one drinks whisky (of course) but I have a sophisticated taste for vintage wines (Co-Op Special Reserve 2008). Now, where's that Braga Santos CD?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on December 10, 2008, 12:55:08 AM
In point of fact the Dutch BSEs only drink bottled custard, delivered by the milkman. The Scottish one drinks whisky (of course) but I have a sophisticated taste for vintage wines (Co-Op Special Reserve 2008). Now, where's that Braga Santos CD?

;D

pjme

Quote from: Christo on December 09, 2008, 11:32:11 PM
Sherry ? ? ? :-X In Portugal? That's like ordering for Sauerkraut (choucroute) in France.  ;)

Cool sherry and Portugal go well together! I'll take a porto after the choucroute à l'Alsacienne.
P.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Hey. What's wrong about Sauerkraut with Eisbein? Finest teutonic cuisine :) Whine? Sherry? What's this supposed to be? Pah! A good bottle of Frankenheim Altbier!

I admit, Eisbein looks a bit like those pictures over at liveleak.net ;)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 10, 2008, 12:55:08 AM

By sheer coincidence, Co-Op Special Reserve is my favourite, too. I'm looking forward to its 2009 embottlement, a vintage year as never before! And yes: we hve them as a six-pack from the milkman. Who's offering them as 'Grande Crue Délire'.  :)