Joly Braga Santos

Started by Dundonnell, August 20, 2007, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on March 04, 2011, 03:08:59 AM
The latest issue of Gramophone Magazine announces that Naxos are to record the orchestral work of Braga Santos with Alvara Cassuto and the Scottish National Orchestra. This is great news, especially for the former self-styled 'Braga-Santos Experts' of this forum. Interesting too, if this is true, that Naxos are not simply reissuing the old Marco Polo series with the same conductor but different orchestra on the Naxos label.  Hopefully this will make the music of this self-effacing Portuguese composer much better known to a wider audience.  Symphonies 1-4 (and especially 3 and 4 in my opinion) are wonderful works, worthy to stand alongside the symphonies of Sibelius and Vaughan Williams.

Nothing former about us, Jeffrey ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

And, when the Naxos cycle appears - we shall be back - like a Phoenix risen from the ashes.  :D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2011, 01:11:41 AM
And, when the Naxos cycle appears - we shall be back - like a Phoenix risen from the ashes.  :D

Yes, when it does I'll phone the other Johan (Christo), so that we can fly in formation.  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 26, 2011, 01:15:54 AM

Yes, when it does I'll phone the other Johan (Christo), so that we can fly in formation.  ;D

Definitely - but you will be leading the formation  ;D ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2011, 01:20:40 AM
Definitely - but you will be leading the formation  ;D ;D

I'll start practising.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2011, 01:11:41 AM

I think what Naxos intend, Jeffrey, is to plug the gaps in the Braga Santos discography.

karlhenning

That will be very nice, indeed, Colin!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 26, 2011, 05:10:11 AM
I think what Naxos intend, Jeffrey, is to plug the gaps in the Braga Santos discography.

What works are missing from the discography right now?

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 27, 2011, 08:46:22 AM
What works are missing from the discography right now?

If you allow me  ;):

A whole bunch of orchestral pieces and two concertos, esp.: Symphonic Overture No. 1 & Symphonic Overture No. 2 (1946 & 1947), `symphonic sketch' Paisajem (1952), Pastoral (1954), Canção (1955), symphonic poem Ruinas do Carmo (1961), Piano concerto (1973), Variações para orquesta (1976), Cello concerto (1987). Also three operas, four ballets, film music (six or more films), a Requiem à memória de Pedro de Freitas Branco (1964), two cantates and much more choral music.

Indeed, all his choral, vocal and chamber music is still to be recorded, but I hope that Naxos will start the series with his remaining orchestral output. Sounds like a good idea to me at least. :-)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on August 27, 2011, 08:41:55 PM
If you allow me  ;):

A whole bunch of orchestral pieces and two concertos, esp.: Symphonic Overture No. 1 & Symphonic Overture No. 2 (1946 & 1947), `symphonic sketch' Paisajem (1952), Pastoral (1954), Canção (1955), symphonic poem Ruinas do Carmo (1961), Piano concerto (1973), Variações para orquesta (1976), Cello concerto (1987). Also three operas, four ballets, film music (six or more films), a Requiem à memória de Pedro de Freitas Branco (1964), two cantates and much more choral music.

Indeed, all his choral, vocal and chamber music is still to be recorded, but I hope that Naxos will start the series with his remaining orchestral output. Sounds like a good idea to me at least. :-)

Thanks Christo! I appreciate this valuable information.

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 27, 2011, 09:07:08 PM
Thanks Christo! I appreciate this valuable information.

I'm wrong of course concerning the Cello concerto (1987), the crown in the last (so far) instalment of the Marco Polo series. But I should have included Otonifonias (1977), a suite for brass band. No doubt there's more than I'm aware of; I just compiled my work list from info in the booklets of cd's and other diverse sources, as I couldn't find one in the Internet and not even in the Portuguese books I could lay my hands on.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

petrarch

Quote from: Christo on August 27, 2011, 09:27:40 PM
I just compiled my work list from info in the booklets of cd's and other diverse sources, as I couldn't find one in the Internet and not even in the Portuguese books I could lay my hands on.

On the composer: http://mic.pt/dispatcher?where=0&what=2&show=0&pessoa_id=145&lang=PT
Works list: http://mic.pt/dispatcher?where=2&what=2&type=2&show=2&pessoa_id=145&lang=PT
Recordings: http://mic.pt/dispatcher?where=4&what=2&show=2&pessoa_id=145&lang=PT
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Christo

vandermolen

Thanks Johan and others  :)

Why did I think that they were going to re-record the symphonies?

(no offensive replies please  8))

karlhenning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 28, 2011, 11:02:18 PM
Thanks Johan and others  :)

Why did I think that they were going to re-record the symphonies?

It's that sunny optimism which is such a credit to our upbringing! : )

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on August 27, 2011, 08:41:55 PM
If you allow me  ;):

(Nice to speak to you again, Johan!)

I would certainly imagine that Naxos will be looking to record the Viola Concerto of 1960 and the Piano Concerto of 1973 and the three Symphonic Overtures(1946, 1947 and 1954) plus the Elegy to Vianna da Motta of 1948. These works together are around 96 minutes wrth of music.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 29, 2011, 03:38:39 AM
It's that sunny optimism which is such a credit to our upbringing! : )

Hehe - Thank you Karl :D

Dundonnell

Braga Santos wrote his Symphony No.1 in 1946 when he was 22 years of age.

This puts him into the same bracket as composers like Krenek(21), Henze(21), Weill(21), Casella(23), Malipiero(23). Shostakovich, of course, was only 19 when he composed his First. Many composers suppressed their first symphonies. Others waited many years before writing a symphony.

But what a fine work the Braga Santos is and what a marvellous slow movement:

http://www.mediafire.com/?r7ypz4tb9l7af6o
http://www.mediafire.com/?5md21px64weptp5
http://www.mediafire.com/?993or31h0ucctl0

Mirror Image

Braga Santos fans rejoice:

[asin]B005YD11Q0[/asin]