Artbooks and artworks you have purchased

Started by kishnevi, March 06, 2018, 07:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

A thread for art purchases, including artbooks and photography books, since the most relevant threads don't really fit.
I'll leave it to the mods to decide if this should be pinned.

kishnevi

Starting off.

Visited a used book store today I had never been to, and came away with four art books.
One an extensive but not complete collection of works by John Singer Sargent
A similar book devoted to Hokusai.
A collection of  works depicting birds and animals by Hiroshige
And a companion volume containing the complete 100 Famous Views of Edo. by Hiroshige.

Baron Scarpia

I'm not usually one for visual arts. One artist I appreciate is Edward Hopper, particularly for his depictions of New York City, where I lived at one point. I was impressed by an exhibition of his work at the National Gallery, in Washington, D.C., and I have this book:

It is edited by Ivo Kranzfelder. I probably got it at Borders books or Barnes and Noble.

One of my favorite works of his is "Macombs Dam Bridge."

It is one of those things in New York city which is still named after some long gone piece of history. (Who was Macomb?). It connects Manhattan to Jerome Avenue in the Bronx. (Who was Jerome?)  I have seen it from the Major Deegan Expressway. (Who was Major Deegan?)

Here's what it looks like now.

Christo

Bougth this very Dutch still life from the artist - showing it here herself:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 06, 2018, 10:02:36 PM
I'm not usually one for visual arts. One artist I appreciate is Edward Hopper, particularly for his depictions of New York City, where I lived at one point. I was impressed by an exhibition of his work at the National Gallery, in Washington, D.C., and I have this book:

There was a splendid Hopper exhibit at the MFA, many moons ago now (in the era when I worked at the Gift Shop).

[asin]0878467122[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

XB-70 Valkyrie

Atget Probably the greatest book ever published (not joking). I wrote a long blog post back when I used to have a blog...

Art/Photo books: Edward Steichen, Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Galen Rowell, Troy Paiva, Paul Strand, Michael Kenna, Sebastiao Salgado, Fred Herzog, Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Karl Blossfeldt, Ernst Haeckel, et al...

Hiroshige, various Art Deco, Maxfield Parrish, Impressionists, Van Gogh, Michelangelo, Books on Rolex, Cartier watches, Patek Philippe et al.

Museum books: Hermitage, Russian Museum, Norton Simon, Vatican Museum, Oslo National Gallery, British Museum, National Gallery (U.S.), Chester Beatty Library, National Museum of Ireland (archaeology), Book of Kells, CHinese stamps and landscape paintings (bought in Guangzhou), BErlin Museums (Gemaldgallerie, Neues Museum, Altes Museum, Pergamon Museum), etc.

Art I've purchased: ALong with my one-of-a-kind Wu Tang Clan album, have various watercolors from various places we've visited (mostly Europe), a few original 19-teen Maxfield Parrish prints...

I also consider my Oracle Delphi Mk. III a work of art! 

I have also some framed botanical prints, travel posters (TWA flying over the Golden Gate Bridge), and some of my own photographs on display at Chez Valkyrie
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

NikF

Cool thread, Jeffrey.

The last proper art book I bought features the work of Stanley Cursiter, a British Futurist.

I've very few photography coffee table books because lol. But back when I had the studio there was a small section of the lounge area given over to photography and cinematography books, mostly techie. Also, stage lighting books/manuals by people like McCandless, Bel Geddes, and Rosenthal.

Original artworks? - very few. Since moving into this new place there's currently only three on the wall. One (with the subject a ballerina) is a watercolour by Vellani Marchi. Another is a 10x8 printed for the photographer who shot it, Richard Avedon, of the boxer Rocky Marciano. The last is a charcoal sketch which was originally part of a series of four. Three sold, but one gained no interest. The subject is a woman's back. It's from the 1980s. Can't remember the name of the artist and it isn't signed.

In the 1950's a series of magazines were published on the subject of 'How to Photograph Women'. The photographers were such as Bunny Yeager, Peter Gowland, Peter Basch, so they're cheesy glamour. And they're definitely aimed at amateurs, but some of the shots are nice. Anyway, I picked up a collection of them that someone had bound.

Some of you will be familiar with Serge Lido. He was a Russian/French photographer who shot a lot of stuff featuring ballet dancers. In doing so he documented almost another world. A couple of volumes of his work are on my shelves.

I've also a small collection of colour wheels. Most are lithographs from old books. They're interesting, informative and cool, IMO.

e: forgot, I have some of Sam Haskin's work. Oh yeah.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Turner

Antiquarian booksellers are becoming fewer here in Copenhagen, and prices are going down a lot, so I´ve collected a good deal & could easily have bought many more, in case there was space for them ...

Among the rarities, there is a long series of the original Le Figaro Illustre magazine from Paris in the 1890s, a high-society entertainment publication, with very varied and colourful content. They include several short stories in their first publication with original  illustrations by Toulouse-Lautrec, various travel reports and articles about contemporary culture, society life etc. The magazines I´ve got are without the famous, coloured front covers, however.

Here you´ll see examples, including an article about imagined, future communication with extraterrestrials, a photograpy competition for readers on bicycles in the Paris region, articles on the entertainment at popular markets also known from contemporary paintings by Picasso, etc.

Turner

....and some more ....

NikF

Quote from: Turner on March 09, 2018, 01:10:22 AM
Antiquarian booksellers are becoming fewer here in Copenhagen, and prices are going down a lot, so I´ve collected a good deal & could easily have bought many more, in case there was space for them ...

Among the rarities, there is a long series of the original Le Figaro Illustre magazine from Paris in the 1890s, a high-society entertainment publication, with very varied and colourful content. They include several short stories in their first publication with original  illustrations by Toulouse-Lautrec, various travel reports and articles about contemporary culture, society life etc. The magazines I´ve got are without the famous, coloured front covers, however.

Here you´ll see examples, including an article about imagined, future communication with extraterrestrials, a photograpy competition for readers on bicycles in the Paris region, articles on the entertainment at popular markets also known from contemporary paintings by Picasso, etc.

Those look wonderful.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Art? I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing Jeffrey had intended for his thread, but it'll at least serve to give it a wee bump. And I'd really like to see and read about any art/art book others enjoy.

The above post by Turner featured one of his recent purchases that look really interesting and cool. Here's one of the kind of things that I've collected since about the mid 1980s or something. I spoke of them before - and of how when my ex girlfriend and I parted she took one card in particular that I liked. Anyway, these are only a few of the doubles/duplicates or damaged examples that I replaced in the collection. Also, sometimes when you buy a whole collection a few reproductions sneak in.

I think this is a set of four. Or maybe six. And like all of these, some have found their way into being reused as poses when I put a lens on someone.

Excuse the censorship via guitar pick - I'm not sure what's appropriate/acceptable to post. Hahaha.

These are by Albert Joseph Pénot, a particular favourite.

vandermolen

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 06, 2018, 10:02:36 PM

It is edited by Ivo Kranzfelder. I probably got it at Borders books or Barnes and Noble.

One of my favorite works of his is "Macombs Dam Bridge."

It is one of those things in New York city which is still named after some long gone piece of history. (Who was Macomb?). It connects Manhattan to Jerome Avenue in the Bronx. (Who was Jerome?)  I have seen it from the Major Deegan Expressway. (Who was Major Deegan?)

Here's what it looks like now.

I like Hopper too - especially that night cafe scene. Interesting to see the comparative photos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on March 06, 2018, 10:21:19 PM
And very nice it is too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2018, 02:30:55 PM
I like Hopper too - especially that night cafe scene. Interesting to see the comparative photos.

What I find most interesting about the Hopper Macomb's bridge photo are the tenement buildings in the background, which are ubiquitous in the Bronx, although gradually being replaced with more glitzy, but much less substantial modern structures.

The Bridge was built in 1890, there was a bridge on the site as early as 1815.

NikF

Late night shopping - you can't beat it. In this case, I've just bought -

Kees Van Dongen - http://www.theartstory.org/artist-van-dongen-kees.htm

He went through a period of using lavish, lush colours, which when I look at find to be the antithesis of yer average Joe's digitally coloured images - more provocative than simply saturated.

e: and don't forget to kiss your model for 15 minutes beforehand to make their lips full and plump and red.

NikF

Quote from: Christo on March 06, 2018, 10:21:19 PM

Christo, that's been a few weeks now since you purchased the piece. You hung it? How is it to live with it?

vandermolen

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 14, 2018, 03:51:17 PM
What I find most interesting about the Hopper Macomb's bridge photo are the tenement buildings in the background, which are ubiquitous in the Bronx, although gradually being replaced with more glitzy, but much less substantial modern structures.

The Bridge was built in 1890, there was a bridge on the site as early as 1815.

Interesting - thanks for this. Hopper is my favourite American painter - the 'Roy Harris' of painting!
:)

NikF

I don't know, sometimes I think it's kind of silly to have 'favourites' with this kind of stuff. But having said that, when I think of Hopper it's most often 'Stairway at 48 Rue DeLille'.

e:

ritter

At the bookshop of the Bozar in Brussels, after visiting the wonderful Fernand Léger exhibition (as reported here), I noticed a lavishly produced, slightly damaged and outrageously expensive book on the painter being sold. It was published in 1971 by the Galleria Apollinare in Milan, and edited by that gallery's owner Guido Le Noci. The blurb on the book (from the Musée d'Art Moderne de Lille-Métropole) is this:

"Ouvrage entièrement illustre comprenant 34 photographies documentaires, 61 photographies de Leger ou de ses amis, 68 planches en noir ou en couleurs, 55 facsimiles, etc. "La monographie sur Fernand Léger 'Sa vie, son oeuvre, son rêve' retrace d'une façon peu banale la vie du peintre. Le livre releve a la fois de l'album de photographies reproduisant les lieux de son enfance, de la compilation critique réunissant les fac-similes des articles sur Léger, passant par son atelier en montrant des documents alors inédits sur sa façon de concevoir l'enseignement"

The book had a limited edition of 1.150 numbered copies, and it turns out that an Amazon MP seller was offering one (allegedly new)  for the price of any modern paperback. I have just received confirmation that my order has shipped!  :)