Great idea post sharing classical, give away box like for books

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, March 24, 2021, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

In my city Montreal, there are plenty of box whit books, to give away, why not do the same whit your olds CD or LP in a box, so people can have them for free , those that don't have money or don't know the genie of classical, to help people discover classical music, I am willing to do this, if people are willing, instead of selling them. like freebies?

Perhaps it's a good idea or a bad idea, who know, proposing this project would be ground breaking, classical  starting to lack in popularity or jazz/blues. If you like them you keep it, but I fear idiots will looted these box trying to selling them?

What your cue on this any opinions?

T. D.

I've been doing that lately.
Have been culling the CD collection, and many have no particular market value, my local public library doesn't even want them, so I just give 'em away.
A (relatively) nearby town has two give-away book boxes like you described. I've been leaving batches of several CDs at a time in them. Some classical, some jazz, fewer rock/pop. Seems to be working; the discs have all disappeared between visits.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: T. D. on March 24, 2021, 07:26:41 PM
I've been doing that lately.
Have been culling the CD collection, and many have no particular market value, my local public library doesn't even want them, so I just give 'em away.
A (relatively) nearby town has two give-away book boxes like you described. I've been leaving batches of several CDs at a time in them. Some classical, some jazz, fewer rock/pop. Seems to be working; the discs have all disappeared between visits.

Great T. D, this is fantastic, will do the same and encourage people in there respective country to do so be pro-active about it, may I had even CD-r you folks had, if you gather the originals copies, this could be an interesting experiment, like T.D said CD whit no value, library or store don't wont , slightly damage should be shared you never know, your forgettable or unwanted may be something meaningful, someone looking for or you may make someone happy or discover music he may not be aware!  8)

Thanks for sharing.

Irons

Why not keep a honesty box along with CDs and donate the proceeds to a local charity, a hospice for example?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Stürmisch Bewegt

I've been doing something similar, donating my dups or sometimes buying things deliberately for our public library (like the Duparc songs which I felt compelled to proselytize  ;)).  Classical music had a more physical presence in my childhood, even drugstores had some classical albums and so did even your most basic department store. Of course, now there is so much available online, but I wonder if it is out-of-sight, out-of-mind...
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Pohjolas Daughter

My local library (in pre-pandemic times anyways) puts them in boxes spine up along with a box for magazines and bookcases of hardcover and paperback books and sells them to the public with the funds going to help the library.  I'll have to ask them (when things get back to normal) if they ever take donations to add to their collection.

Irons,

I like the idea of a donations box (money for charities) but fear that it would get broken into. 

One further comment:  If one were to put LPs in those boxes, the boxes would need to be in a nice and shady and cool area....remember what sunshine and high temps can do to LPs?!  ???

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 25, 2021, 06:53:02 AM
My local library (in pre-pandemic times anyways) puts them in boxes spine up along with a box for magazines and bookcases of hardcover and paperback books and sells them to the public with the funds going to help the library.  I'll have to ask them (when things get back to normal) if they ever take donations to add to their collection.

Irons,

I like the idea of a donations box (money for charities) but fear that it would get broken into. 

One further comment:  If one were to put LPs in those boxes, the boxes would need to be in a nice and shady and cool area....remember what sunshine and high temps can do to LPs?!  ???

PD

May be different in US PD, but in little old England you can't scratch your nose without a camera witnessing the event. Even doorbells are getting into the action. After nasty crime in London a few weeks ago the police requested residents to check doorbell footage. Raid a honesty box at your peril! 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 25, 2021, 08:12:32 AM
May be different in US PD, but in little old England you can't scratch your nose without a camera witnessing the event. Even doorbells are getting into the action. After nasty crime in London a few weeks ago the police requested residents to check doorbell footage. Raid a honesty box at your peril!
True, you guys do have a lot of cameras!  I should get one of those doorbell cameras myself.  One nice thing around here which I don't think has changed too terribly much over the years.  Farm stands will often have what you call an honesty box or we would just call a cash box--often with a way to make your own change though not always (sometimes locked with a slit in the top, so you need to bring/have correct or smaller bills on you)--these days, they are sometimes chained to the stand.  One place had an open cash box, scale and calculator too if I'm recalling correctly.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 25, 2021, 08:36:55 AM
True, you guys do have a lot of cameras!  I should get one of those doorbell cameras myself.  One nice thing around here which I don't think has changed too terribly much over the years.  Farm stands will often have what you call an honesty box or we would just call a cash box--often with a way to make your own change though not always (sometimes locked with a slit in the top, so you need to bring/have correct or smaller bills on you)--these days, they are sometimes chained to the stand.  One place had an open cash box, scale and calculator too if I'm recalling correctly.   :)

PD

I read somewhere PD there are more cameras in relation to population in UK then anywhere else in the world!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 26, 2021, 08:20:35 AM
I read somewhere PD there are more cameras in relation to population in UK then anywhere else in the world!
Not surprised to hear that Irons!

A p.s. to my earlier comments, we do call it "the honor system" here when you are responsible for figuring out your own bill/total and then paying.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

The Mind Charity shop in the local town (Tunbridge Wells) and the Oxfam shop, like Classical CD or LP donations so I shall be visiting them again soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2021, 11:45:49 PM
The Mind Charity shop in the local town (Tunbridge Wells) and the Oxfam shop, like Classical CD or LP donations so I shall be visiting them again soon.

I have to be careful to make donations of CDs and LPs to Charity shops not stores I make purchases. Many the time I have donated a poor pressing only to buy it back again! Not only Charity shops, at Classical Exchange I have exchanged LPs only to later buy them back at double the price! It got so bad that I resorted to make a small cross at the inside of sleeve.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 20, 2021, 06:58:22 AM
I have to be careful to make donations of CDs and LPs to Charity shops not stores I make purchases. Many the time I have donated a poor pressing only to buy it back again! Not only Charity shops, at Classical Exchange I have exchanged LPs only to later buy them back at double the price! It got so bad that I resorted to make a small cross at the inside of sleeve.
Oh, no! Smart idea; do you put them on the inside of the record cover or the inside of the paper inner sleeve?  I'm suspecting the cover (quickest way to spot if you were considering purchasing it--again).

PD

EDIT:  I'm tempted to start a list of recordings NOT to purchase; I realized the other day that I have three CD copies of Sibelius' Symphony No. 2, Finlandia, Valse triste, and the Swan with Davis and the BSO! Two of them are in the Silver Line Classics and one just says Classics (all on Philips)...which to keep?  One to give to a friend and then figure out what to do with the other one.
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 20, 2021, 07:07:19 AM
Oh, no! Smart idea; do you put them on the inside of the record cover or the inside of the paper inner sleeve?  I'm suspecting the cover (quickest way to spot if you were considering purchasing it--again).

PD

EDIT:  I'm tempted to start a list of recordings NOT to purchase; I realized the other day that I have three CD copies of Sibelius' Symphony No. 2, Finlandia, Valse triste, and the Swan with Davis and the BSO! Two of them are in the Silver Line Classics and one just says Classics (all on Philips)...which to keep?  One to give to a friend and then figure out what to do with the other one.

Yes, PD. I make a small cross on the inside of the cover. Vinyl Gods do play games. I firmly hold the belief that eventually a decent copy will always turn up but sometimes, thankfully rarely, a particular lusted after LP will be elusive. At the last count there are three copies of the Britten/Bridge recording below in the racks at Classical Exchange with the dreaded X and I still have not one on mine!

Herman

I have been leaving books and cd's in those exchange cases for some time now.

I have way too much of both.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 21, 2021, 07:54:03 AM
Yes, PD. I make a small cross on the inside of the cover. Vinyl Gods do play games. I firmly hold the belief that eventually a decent copy will always turn up but sometimes, thankfully rarely, a particular lusted after LP will be elusive. At the last count there are three copies of the Britten/Bridge recording below in the racks at Classical Exchange with the dreaded X and I still have not one on mine!
Well, when I do get back to the UK and am flipping through LPs, I'll make sure to look for the "Iron's rejected 'X'" on them!  :D

And good luck finding a copy!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 21, 2021, 09:40:37 AM
Well, when I do get back to the UK and am flipping through LPs, I'll make sure to look for the "Iron's rejected 'X'" on them!  :D

And good luck finding a copy!

PD

;D