Artbooks and artworks you have purchased

Started by kishnevi, March 06, 2018, 07:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF

Quote from: Ken B on February 07, 2019, 06:53:31 PM
Not a huge number, but we have had this for a while

Removed for size: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91YIH8uItwL.jpg

And have several Casson prints including

Good stuff, Ken B. I don't really know Casson and the only other of that group I'm at all familiar with is Frederick Varly.

Quote from: ritter on August 10, 2018, 06:42:22 AM
Submitted a successful bid for this print by Manuel Ángeles Ortiz at an auction here in Madrid in mid-July:

And what about you, ritter, how are you getting on with this? Are you living with it on a daily basis?

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ritter

Quote from: NikF on February 08, 2019, 02:06:42 AM
And what about you, ritter, how are you getting on with this? Are you living with it on a daily basis?
Oh yes, it's doing its job splendidly! Thanks for asking.  :)

Since I bought it, it has some companions...

Two woodcuts by Raoul Dufy (as reported in the avatar thread):

And a late (1959)  lithograph by Georges Braque (my copy being inscribed by the artist to Fernand Mourlot, the man who ran the workshop where most of the leading artists in Paris in the mid-20th century created their work in the lithographic medium):

NikF4

Quote from: ritter on February 09, 2019, 07:36:13 AM
Oh yes, it's doing its job splendidly! Thanks for asking.  :)

Since I bought it, it has some companions...

Two woodcuts by Raoul Dufy (as reported in the avatar thread):

And a late (1959)  lithograph by Georges Braque (my copy being inscribed by the artist to Fernand Mourlot, the man who ran the workshop where most of the leading artists in Paris in the mid-20th century created their work in the lithographic medium):

You're welcome.

Interesting purchases as ever - and the unique feature of the Braque litho making it particularly cool. Good stuff.

vandermolen

Received now. An excellent book:

As is this:

Nemon sculpted Churchill many times but the cover shows Churchill's one and only sculpture - his portrait of Oscar Nemon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF4

Do this stuff count?  ;D

I've a few of these large format glass slides of ballet backdrop curtains and stage sets. This recent purchase is from the 1930s and by Dufy for a Ballet Russe (MkII) production called 'Beach' (or 'Palm Beach') to music by Jean Françaix.
It's needing cleaned and after I do so will look great. Think of the image quality when 35mm film is projected in a cinema, then realise this slide is about four inches long on the same side, so with the right lens (and powerful enough bulb) it'll almost appear you can step in to it - and I have lenses/bulbs meeting that description.

Here's the original design (or at least one of them) for a general idea -

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF4 on February 25, 2019, 11:33:42 PM
Do this stuff count?  ;D

I've a few of these large format glass slides of ballet backdrop curtains and stage sets. This recent purchase is from the 1930s and by Dufy for a Ballet Russe (MkII) production called 'Beach' (or 'Palm Beach') to music by Jean Françaix.
It's needing cleaned and after I do so will look great. Think of the image quality when 35mm film is projected in a cinema, then realise this slide is about four inches long on the same side, so with the right lens (and powerful enough bulb) it'll almost appear you can step in to it - and I have lenses/bulbs meeting that description.

Definitely! Amazing! What a great thing to have.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 26, 2019, 12:50:08 AM
Definitely! Amazing! What a great thing to have.
:)
A big +1....

Great stuff, NikF. And archetypal of Raoul Dufy's work: the sailboats, the ponies, the seashells...  Wonderful!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF4 on February 25, 2019, 11:33:42 PM
Do this stuff count?  ;D

Great stuff. Love Dufy's colorful work.

ritter

In 1922, Chilean poet Vicente Huidobro (initiator of the creationist aesthetic movement, and known to some music lovers because one of his texts was set by Edgar Varèse in his Offrandes), exhibited 13 "painted poems" in the Théâtre Édouard VII in Paris. The idea was for these works to be published using the pochoir (or stencil) technique, but the project didn't come to fruition.

In 2001, the Reina Sofía Museum here in Madrid recreated the 1922 event, and for the occasion issued the surviving works (12 in total, including some poems in two versions) in a limited edition folder of serigraphs on high-quality Arches paper, respecting the original dimensions (73 x 53 cm). I've been lucky enough to buy one set from the museum.

NikF4

Quote from: ritter on April 30, 2019, 12:29:47 AM
In 1922, Chilean poet Vicente Huidobro (initiator of the creationist aesthetic movement, and known to some music lovers because one of his texts was set by Edgar Varèse in his Offrandes), exhibited 13 "painted poems" in the Théâtre Édouard VII in Paris. The idea was for these works to be published using the pochoir (or stencil) technique, but the project didn't come to fruition.

In 2001, the Reina Sofía Museum here in Madrid recreated the 1922 event, and for the occasion issued the surviving works (12 in total, including some poems in two versions) in a limited edition folder of serigraphs on high-quality Arches paper, respecting the original dimensions (73 x 53 cm). I've been lucky enough to buy one set from the museum.

Very interesting. And another name for me to check out.

NikF4

Boxing Ballerinas by Tony McGee.

A comparison of the training and in the process finding common discipline between ballerinas and boxers in Cuba. FWIW, when I think of Cuban dancers Carlos Acosta first comes to mind, while in boxing it's the great amateur heavyweight Teofilo Stevenson - remember him? Anyway...

In my opinion the best thing about this collection of images is that the photos were shot with more than one substrate in mind and so stuff like detail, contrast, shadows/light, even perceived proportions will still be accurately reproduced, regardless. That skill is often overlooked, perhaps because many are unaware that nowadays there's less difference between a smartphone screen and a high end monitor, than there is between traditional newsprint and magazine papers. The second best thing is the svelte arse on the dancer in the second photo.

It's both unfair and of little value to compare this with with 'Danse' series shot in the 1960s by Jeanloup Sieff, but I'll do so anyway. In this instance McGee is more an observer, often composing and almost editing on the fly, whereas Sieff was (trademark burning and dodging aside) an exponent of ensuring less is more from the outset. In any case both are worth a look.

JBS

I saw this last week in the gift/book store of the Smithsonian Museum of American Art/National Portrait Gallery (technically they are two different museums who share the same building, although the galleries are intertwined and for visiting purposes they are one big museum) .  But it was too big and bulky to pack in my luggage, so I waited until I got home and ordered it off Amazon Marketplace.  It arrived in today's mail.

It is a co-publication of the Smithsonian and Yale University Press.

ritter

I've been taking an interest in the work of Henri Matisse as of late. Until recently, I more or less avoided him (to the benefit of his near contemporaries Braque, Picasso, Léger et al.), and--wrongly--viewed his work as facile and decorative (while less elaborate than that of another artist of whom the same claim can be made, and I greatly admire--Raoul Dufy). I now fully recognise that Matisse's is a major, very personal, distinctive and absolutely fresh vision, and that my prejudice against him actually stemmed from my dislike of some renowned "post-Matisse" artists, who brought his style squarely into pop art territory (which I abhor) and IMO banality, than for lack of admiration for the man's own work. So, over the past several months, I've purchased these:

1)
[asin]2754109536[/asin]
A facsimile reprint of the 1947 edition of Beaudelaire's Les fleurs du mal, for which Matisse made 34 drawings.

Great to have one of my favourite collections of poetry ever illustrated by an artist my admiration for whom is growing.

2)
[asin]2732461784[/asin]
Another facsimile, this time of the legendary Tériade edition of Jazz (one of the most famous artist books of the 20th century). This reprint comes with the in-folio sheets loose (as the original), in a quality clothbound case. Beautiful to behold (the French edition--the case includes a small booklet with essays on the work and the artist--is significantly cheaper than the English or Italian versions).

3)
[asin]3836567180[/asin]
A very well produced and quite affordable study of Matisse's paper cutouts (the main output of his last creative phase), with additional texts by such luminaries as Tériade, Louis Aragon, Henri Michaux and Pierre Reverdy.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: JBS on May 25, 2019, 07:03:49 PM

It is a co-publication of the Smithsonian and Yale University Press.

That looks magnificent!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

I bought this recently. It's rather better than similar books as it features quite detailed analyses of various works and movements:

ritter

I've been lucky enough to add to my collection of Spanish painters of the École de Paris this small pencil and watercolour on paper by Joaquín Peinado (1898-1975):

Peinado was born in Ronda (Málaga), where there now is a museum dedicated to his work. He moved to Paris in the mid-1920s, embracing what you could call a post-cubist style, which later developed into a sort of neo-Cézanneism.

He spent his summers in the mid 60s in the tiny hamlet of Cogners in the Pays de la Loire. There's some landscapes (oil on canvas) form that time in  some public collections in Spain, and then small-scale watercolours and drawings like the one I bought at auction last week (unsigned, but dated and located) depicting village life.

JBS

Ordered these two just now from Amazon MP
The Landscapes and Manga of Hokusai

QuoteHokusai's landscapes revolutionized Japanese printmaking and became icons of world art within a few decades of the artist's death. Hokusai's Landscapes focuses exclusively on this pivotal body of the artist's work, the first book to do so. Featuring stunning color reproductions of works from the incomparable Japanese art collection at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (the largest collection of Japanese prints outside Japan), Hokusai's Landscapes examines the magnetic appeal of Hokusai's designs and the circumstances of their creation.

The book includes all published prints of the artist's eight major landscape series: Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji (1830–32), A Tour of Waterfalls in Various Provinces (1833–34), Snow, Moon and Flowers (1833), Eight Views of the Ryukyu Islands (1832–33), One Thousand Pictures of the Ocean (1832–33), Remarkable Views of Bridges in Various Provinces (1834), A True Mirror of Chinese and Japanese Poetry (1833) and One Hundred Poems Explained by the Nurse (1835).

QuoteIn 1814, Hokusai's sketches were published in a handbook of over 4,000 images: Hokusai Manga. It surpassed expectations as a student reference book, and became a bestseller. Here, in an elegant, three-volume package, an expansive selection of these works are revealed, presenting all of the themes, motifs and drawing techniques found in his art. The caricatures, satirical drawings, multi-panel illustrations and narrative depictions found in the book can clearly be seen as the basis for manga as it is understood today. One volume explores The Life and Manners of the Day (studying habits and objects of the everyday, from architectural features to wrestling moves and facial expressions); the second The Whole Earth Catalogue (largely concerned with nature, from animals to rock faces and fish); and the third presents the Fanciful, Mythical and Supernatural (with images narrating myths and displaying fantastical creatures). Table of ContentsVolume 1: The Life and Manners of the Day Volume 2: The Whole Earth CatalogueVolume 3: Fanciful, Mythical and Supernatural

Artem

What do you guys think about buying prints?

dissily Mordentroge

Depends on who created them and how limited the production number is.