Favorite Prokofiev Symphony Cycle

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, March 13, 2018, 03:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favorite Prokofiev Symphony Cycle (if you have one) [max. 2 votes]

Rozhdestvensky, Moscow RSO, Melodiya, 1962-67
7 (21.2%)
Martinon, NO ORTF, Vox, 1970s?
1 (3%)
Kosler, Czech Phil, Supraphon, 1973-82
1 (3%)
Weller, LSO & LPO, Decca, 1974-78
2 (6.1%)
Järvi, RSNO, Chandos, 1984-85
8 (24.2%)
Rostropovich, OdNFrance, Erato/Warner, 1985-??
0 (0%)
Ozawa, BPh, DG, 1989-92
5 (15.2%)
Kitayenko I, Moscow Phil., Melodiya [does not exist]
1 (3%)
Kuchar, Ukraine NSO, Naxos, 1994/95
3 (9.1%)
Gergiev I, LSO, Decca, 2004
3 (9.1%)
Kitayenko II, Gürzenich, Capriccio/Phoenix, 2005-07
3 (9.1%)
Ashkenazy, Sydney Symphony, Exton, 2009
0 (0%)
Karabits, Bournemouth, Onyx, 2014?
3 (9.1%)
Alsop, OSESP, Naxos, 2011-15?
0 (0%)
Gaffigan, Netherlands RPO, Challenge, 2014?-2017?
0 (0%)
Too little exposure to say
9 (27.3%)
Has not been made yet
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 16, 2018, 07:55:24 AM
Damn, now I need to put Pollini's Prokofiev 7 on my listening list...

You knew the risks . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 16, 2018, 07:55:24 AM
...and Pollini is shooting Tri-X with a #25 red filter.  I think I get you.  :)

Damn, now I need to put Pollini's Prokofiev 7 on my listening list...

Couldn't have said it better myself.  8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

vandermolen

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 16, 2018, 07:41:43 AM
Yes, the first movement is the highlight of the work and the passage you describe made an impression on me also.

Looks like I will be piecing my Prokofiev cycle together one symphony at a time. (Where's Haitink, when you need him?) On the other hand, maybe Karabits will do it for me.

Sorry, I cocked-up the quote system above, making it look like my comments were yours.
::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on March 16, 2018, 12:30:36 PM
Sorry, I cocked-up the quote system above, making it look like my comments were yours.
::)

No problem.

After my newfound appreciation of #3 derived from Chailly's recording I listened to Ozawa and Jarvi again. There is no reason to listen to either of those recordings ever again. Jarvis seems uncontrolled, under-rehearsed, as KH has previously commented.

I have one disc from the Karabits cycle coming, and I will be exploring Rostropovich, Gergiev and Kitajenko all of which, astonishingly, I have. Amazing how I could accumulate recordings of a composer whose symphonies I thought I hated.

Turner

I´ve only got the Weller cycle and most of Järvi´s, plus some individual recordings, so am not really able to vote here ... :(

Favourites for me have been Svetlanov´s, Ancerl´s, Martinon/Lamoureux & Fricsay/RIAS 1st, Kondrashin/CtGebouw´s 3rd, Järvi´s 6th ...

vandermolen

Quote from: Turner on March 17, 2018, 12:41:34 AM
I´ve only got the Weller cycle and most of Järvi´s, plus some individual recordings, so am not really able to vote here ... :(

Favourites for me have been Svetlanov´s, Ancerl´s, Martinon/Lamoureux & Fricsay/RIAS 1st, Kondrashin/CtGebouw´s 3rd, Järvi´s 6th ...
Nothing wrong with Weller cycle.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Baron Scarpia

Kitajenko!

Just listened to the Kitajenko/Koln recording of the third and I find it just as satisfying as Chailly, I think I have found my cycle. Crisp execution, very good sound, all that heavy brass orchestration properly balanced with the rest of the orchestra. A spot listen to Rostropovich finds him more to my taste than Ozawa and Jarvi, but less so than Kitajenko, although that might change with more listening. I think the my next step will be listen to Kitajenko's recording of the second, and go from there.

Karl Henning

Cool.

Mine should land, well, tomorrow . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

No.1: don't care

No.2: Ozawa

No.3: ???Chailly?

No4A:
No.4B:... I thought I had Rosty with both but it has only one... Rosty/Erato

No.5: Muti, Ashkenazy

No.6: Rostropovich

No.7: Ozawa

Baron Scarpia

One advantage with Ozawa: with the anemic bass in that DG recording the bass drum isn't so disruptive as it is is Kitajenko and Chailly, where it is realistically captured.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 18, 2018, 11:23:46 PM
Kitajenko!

Just listened to the Kitajenko/Koln recording of the third and I find it just as satisfying as Chailly, I think I have found my cycle. Crisp execution, very good sound, all that heavy brass orchestration properly balanced with the rest of the orchestra. A spot listen to Rostropovich finds him more to my taste than Ozawa and Jarvi, but less so than Kitajenko, although that might change with more listening. I think the my next step will be listen to Kitajenko's recording of the second, and go from there.

Have you heard any of Litton's performances on BIS? I quite like them.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 19, 2018, 09:14:12 AM

I was tempted but the bottom line is that, in the grand scheme of things, these works are not that important to me. It is not a matter of finding the perfect recording, but finding a recording that doesn't have deficiencies that render them unlistenable to me (Jarvi and Ozawa). Kitajenko and Rostropovich have fixed that. I also have Gergiev somewhere. It is really absurd that I have so many recordings of this stuff already. The only Prokofiev symphonies that I really like are 5 and 7, and I already have multiple good options for those.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 19, 2018, 09:14:12 AM
Not aimed at me I know but Litton's No.6 is my favourite modern recording of that great work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 19, 2018, 09:21:53 AM
I was tempted, but the bottom line is that, in the grand scheme of things, these works are not that important to me. It is not a matter of finding the perfect recording, but finding a recording that doesn't have deficiencies that render them unlistenable to me (Jarvi and Ozawa). Kitajenko and Rostropovich have fixed that. I also have Gergiev somewhere. It is really absurd that I have so many recordings of this stuff already. The only Prokofiev symphonies that I really like are 5 and 7, and I already have multiple good options for those.

I'm of a similar mind. I don't really consider these symphonies the pinnacle of Prokofiev's oeuvre, but I'm afraid I don't know his oeuvre as well as I should (i. e. piano music, operas). This said, his ballet music is much more important to me.

Daverz

I like all the symphonies, perhaps 7 the least of them, and No. 6 is particularly close to my heart.  Among oft-recorded Prokofiev, I think the Scythian Suite is the only thing I can do without.

Baron Scarpia

Perhaps I will develop a better appreciation now that I have found recordings that appeal to me more. I think I'd hate Beethoven if my only choices were Ozawa and Jarvi.

Karl Henning

I am very fond indeed of the First, Second, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh.  I genuinely like the Third & Fourth (both versions), though my own ardor there does not rise to the level of my preferred five.

Are there pieces which I like even better than my favorite symphonies?  Romeo & Juliet, L'enfant prodigue, the g minor Violin Concerto, the f minor Violin Sonata, probably the Seventh & Eighth Piano Sonatas.  But I do not feel these "crowding out" the symphonies from my musical affection.

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 19, 2018, 09:53:38 AM
[...]I think I'd hate Beethoven if my only choices were Ozawa and Jarvi.

I am sorry if the Ozawa has been such a disappointment.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 19, 2018, 10:15:59 AMI am sorry if the Ozawa has been such a disappointment.

I am not sure if you are under the impression that I got the Ozawa under the influence of your recommendation. Maybe I did, I'm not sure myself. Regardless, I don't really regret getting it, because at least it gave me the impression that there is something worthwhile in Prokofiev's symphonies (which Jarvi did not). So it opened the door to Prokofiev for me (sort of like one of those slapstick comedy scenes where the person opens the door to a taxi and promptly exits the other door).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Baron Scarpia

Prokofiev Roundup, most to least favorite (disclaimer based on incomplete listening)

Kitajenko/Koln - Remarkable clarity and balance, great audio
Rostropovich/Orchestra National de France - Slightly less clarity, a bit more sentimental, great audio
Gergiev/London Symphony - Not bad, lacks clarity, audio less than ideal
Ozawa/Berlin - might have like it, audio too shrill and lacking in convincing soundstage
Jarvi/Scottish - sounds unrehearsed, uncontrolled, audio to reverberate for my taste

Recently listened to the original version of Symphony No 4 and found it interesting and enjoyable. What are you thoughts about what versions of the 4th symphony is best?