Favorite Prokofiev Symphony Cycle

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, March 13, 2018, 03:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favorite Prokofiev Symphony Cycle (if you have one) [max. 2 votes]

Rozhdestvensky, Moscow RSO, Melodiya, 1962-67
7 (21.2%)
Martinon, NO ORTF, Vox, 1970s?
1 (3%)
Kosler, Czech Phil, Supraphon, 1973-82
1 (3%)
Weller, LSO & LPO, Decca, 1974-78
2 (6.1%)
Järvi, RSNO, Chandos, 1984-85
8 (24.2%)
Rostropovich, OdNFrance, Erato/Warner, 1985-??
0 (0%)
Ozawa, BPh, DG, 1989-92
5 (15.2%)
Kitayenko I, Moscow Phil., Melodiya [does not exist]
1 (3%)
Kuchar, Ukraine NSO, Naxos, 1994/95
3 (9.1%)
Gergiev I, LSO, Decca, 2004
3 (9.1%)
Kitayenko II, Gürzenich, Capriccio/Phoenix, 2005-07
3 (9.1%)
Ashkenazy, Sydney Symphony, Exton, 2009
0 (0%)
Karabits, Bournemouth, Onyx, 2014?
3 (9.1%)
Alsop, OSESP, Naxos, 2011-15?
0 (0%)
Gaffigan, Netherlands RPO, Challenge, 2014?-2017?
0 (0%)
Too little exposure to say
9 (27.3%)
Has not been made yet
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

SurprisedByBeauty

Gergiev and Litton are working toward (new) cycles. Sokhiev may be.

I had included Leinsdorf's, which is not complete (2, 3, 5, 6) but removed it. Even Ashkenazy's first go would count at 4/7 or, counting the 4th twice, 50%. Kitayenko's first is nowhere to be found. I suspect I may have missed one or two, but this should cover most. Corrections and add. info most welcome.

Baron Scarpia

I voted for Ozawa, since the only other one I've listened to is Jarvi, and I know Jarvi is not my favorite.

Sergeant Rock

Of the eight and a half cycles I own, Ozawa and Kitajenko II are favorites.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 13, 2018, 03:47:14 PM
I voted for Ozawa, since the only other one I've listened to is Jarvi, and I know Jarvi is not my favorite.

I voted for Ozawa full heartily; and likewise, know the Järvi, but cannot endorse it.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 13, 2018, 03:53:49 PM

Sarge

Well, my curiosity is piqued. Darn you, Jens! 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 13, 2018, 03:58:30 PM
I voted for Ozawa full heartily; and likewise, know the Järvi, but cannot endorse it.

Well, my curiosity is piqued. Darn you, Jens! 8)

Muargh-muargh-muargh! ( <- my evil laugh)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 13, 2018, 03:53:49 PM

Sarge

I must say that I found that Jarvi made it easy to appreciate these symphonies, but I've not actually understood them. I voted for ignorance and Jaervi, therefore. In concert, only Gergiev has made me really dig them.

Also on my shelf: Kosler, Gergiev I and all his new recordings (perhaps not listened-to, yet), most of Kuchar, Leinsdorf, Kitayenko (not sufficiently listened-to, yet), and lots of individ. recordings that don't amount to a cycle. Oh, and I should have most of Gaffigan, but haven't heard them yet.

Karl Henning

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 13, 2018, 04:02:34 PM
I must say that I found that Jarvi made it easy to appreciate these symphonies, but I've not actually understood them.

The Järvi IMO is something of a missed opportunity. I've revisited it now and again, but generally find insufficient there, there.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 13, 2018, 04:02:34 PM
I must say that I found that Jarvi made it easy to appreciate these symphonies, but I've not actually understood them. I voted for ignorance and Jaervi, therefore. In concert, only Gergiev has made me really dig them.

Also on my shelf: Kosler, Gergiev I and all his new recordings (perhaps not listened-to, yet), most of Kuchar, Leinsdorf, Kitayenko (not sufficiently listened-to, yet), and lots of individ. recordings that don't amount to a cycle. Oh, and I should have most of Gaffigan, but haven't heard them yet.

I have: Rozhdestvensky, Rostropovich, Gergiev I, Kosler, Ozawa, Kitajenko, Järvi, Weller and Martinon 1-4. Järvi has grown on me (as I mentioned in the listening thread awhile ago) but his happy ending Seventh really grates. I like Gergiev much more than I expected to. Kosler was a disappointment (but I may have been expecting too much; need to give it another listen with no expectations).

Kitajenko and Ozawa both milk the symphonies for their beauty (even the tough ones); I like that.

Sarge

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 13, 2018, 04:20:21 PM
I have: Rozhdestvensky, Rostropovich, Gergiev I, Kosler, Ozawa, Kitajenko, Järvi, Weller and Martinon 1-4. Järvi has grown on me (as I mentioned in the listening thread awhile ago) but his happy ending Seventh really grates. I like Gergiev much more than I expected to. Kosler was a disappointment (but I may have been expecting too much; need to give it another listen with no expectations).

Sarge

Weller?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 13, 2018, 04:22:05 PM
Weller?

Another one with the happy ending Seventh. Cannot abide that  ;D

Sarge

Cato

My initial experiences with the Second,Third, and Sixth Symphonies was through Erich Leinsdorf (hard to believe he died 25 years ago!) on RCA.  I first heard the Fifth Symphony on Herbert von Karajan's DGG record: all of these recordings were magnificent the latter nearly blew up my speakers!

Anyway, I also have the Jaervi, and they are good, but not on the same level as Leinsdorf or von Karajan.

Or at least...such is my memory of them!  It would seem like it is time to revisit them all!

Even...(cue dramatic Boom-Boom-Boom BOOM music) The Seventh Symphony:o 8)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Josquin13

I much prefer young Kirill Karabits recent Prokofiev Symphony 1-7 cycle in Bournemouth to any other of recent years, including Gergiev & Kitayenko's.  (Karabits' cycle is well recorded too.)  If you compare Karabit's 3rd to Gergiev's, I expect you'll come away with little doubt as to who's more deeply inside this music; at least, that's how I felt, & it was Karabits' 3rd by a good margin.  I'd even put Karabits' 7th in the same class with Nikolai Malko's legendary recording, which is saying something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=553PovHqHPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUn3PMZRzKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac6rto6r7Ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fytnJA156xw

Historically, Gennady Rozhdestvensky's Moscow RSO cycle is easily my top pick, despite the less than ideal 1960s Russian sound.  Rozhdestvensky is masterful in these symphonies--it's a benchmark set, IMO. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlvStcZvqrs

It's also worth trying to track down any other Prokofiev performances conducted by Rozhdestvensky, such as his 1971 5th with the Leningrad Philharmonic (a BBC legends CD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UQQH5NfwCw

I also like Malko's 1st & 7th very much too.

Those are all the recordings of these symphonies I need.

Mirror Image

If Litton completes his cycle with the same kind of enthusiasm and expert playing his other recordings have displayed then his cycle gets my vote. I suppose if backed into a corner then Kitajenko's cycle on Phoenix would get my vote right now. But to be honest, Prokofiev's symphonies are far from favorite works of mine. I prefer his ballets and chamber works. I haven't ventured into his piano music yet or the operas (but I don't like opera in general with a few noted exceptions).

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 13, 2018, 06:59:30 PM
If Litton completes his cycle with the same kind of enthusiasm and expert playing his other recordings have displayed then his cycle gets my vote. I suppose if backed into a corner then Kitajenko's cycle on Phoenix would get my vote right now. But to be honest, Prokofiev's symphonies are far from favorite works of mine. I prefer his ballets and chamber works. I haven't ventured into his piano music yet or the operas (but I don't like opera in general with a few noted exceptions).

If you want to ease into the opera, I suggest the video of Betrothal in a Monastery with Netrebko.

ritter

Good you're running this poll, Jens! Baron Scarpia and I were  asking about Prokofiev symphony cycles in the WAYLTN thread, and we may find the answer here  :). I won't vote, as I have only the Rostropovich cycle, and am not really thrilled with it....

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Listened to quite a few and Kitajenko II made the biggest impression on me. I hope that there is another excellent one to be made in the future.

Draško

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 13, 2018, 03:26:49 PM
Kitayenko's first is nowhere to be found.

Kitayenko I doesn't exist. 6 & 7 were never recorded. He emigrated, or USSR collapsed, whichever came first. Recording dates for 1-5 are '85-'89.

As for the topic, I have only Gergiev I, with which I'm reasonably satisfied. The sound is bit close and dry.

Cato

Josquin 13 recommended Kirill Karabits above: this morning I compared the opening movement of the Third Symphony from him and the Bournemouth Symphony to the 1960's Erich Leinsdorf/Boston Symphony performance.

The former is a good performance, but the "bite" and hysteria in the music is really brought out by Leinsdorf and Company.

Still, I will give Karabits a chance, along with revisiting the Jaervi cycle.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

I voted for Rozhdestvensky whose No.5 is unrivalled in my view - however, I also thoroughly enjoyed the Martinon cycle with the ORTF - my introduction to no.6 in particular.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on March 14, 2018, 03:51:51 AM
Josquin 13 recommended Kirill Karabits above: this morning I compared the opening movement of the Third Symphony from him and the Bournemouth Symphony to the 1960's Erich Leinsdorf/Boston Symphony performance.

The former is a good performance, but the "bite" and hysteria in the music is really brought out by Leinsdorf and Company.

Still, I will give Karabits a chance, along with revisiting the Jaervi cycle.

The Leinsdorf was a wonderful surprise.  Pity we don't have all seven (eight 8) ) from that team.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA