Englande's Gordon Jacob jellybeans (1895-1984)

Started by Scion7, September 20, 2015, 11:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Today I received a correspondence from Dr. Geoff Ogram, from his forthcoming book, on Jacob's Piano Quartet (1969).
This excerpt looks very interesting!  The book should be a treat.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Oates

As the post makes clear, very little of Gordon Jacob's music is currently available on CD. For those who appreciate Vaughan Williams, Holst et al, I think his music has much to offer. Ken Russell even made a Monitor film about him (alas not as well known as Elgar or A Song of Summer!) which suggests his standing was somewhat greater in the past.

A good example of what he is capable of is here with this orchestral gem (not otherwise available on disc):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTlpPDbbYaQ

Christo

Quote from: snyprrr on March 26, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
you're really going to have to improve that ThreadTitle :P

'Jacob's Jabberwocky'

'Jacob's Latter Works'

'Jacob's Jackboots'

'Jacob's _______'

Gordon Jacob Yummy Yummy
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."