african-american brutal no compromise jazz not for wimps or faint at hearted?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, November 25, 2020, 12:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Common dudes I want to know, I f i Dig Cecil Tailorr and Arthur Doyle strangee universe what is up my alley, I am looking for good stufff raw ege piano jazz, oor Arthur Doyles psychedelic Jazz yep...

Help me develope my liking for Jazz but I am like a blind man crossing street here in Old  Jazz,  and my Jazz need to be black, african-american ,, I want oodd bballs Jazzman Erkell , nerds bizzaroo biizzaro outsiders strange wanderering fellows whit good music..  ;D

André Le Nôtre

Some favorites of mine: Gil Scott Heron

Kamau Daaood (spoken word)

Also, there is a lot of great stuff from these guys:

Horace Tapscott solo piano improvisations
Sun Ra: especially Space is the Place, and pretty much anything else
Pharoah Sanders: especially Karma
Rufus Harley
Sonny Sharrock
Archie Shepp
Albert Ayler

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

T. D.

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on November 25, 2020, 12:31:29 PM
Some favorites of mine: Gil Scott Heron

Kamau Daaood (spoken word)

Also, there is a lot of great stuff from these guys:

Horace Tapscott solo piano improvisations
Sun Ra: especially Space is the Place, and pretty much anything else
Pharoah Sanders: especially Karma
Rufus Harley
Sonny Sharrock
Archie Shepp
Albert Ayler

Good stuff, but the OP's posted this inquiry before. My impression is that he's looking for really ultra-far out skronkfest material and the artists you mentioned are too tame. I don't have any suggestions...for example, what pianists are more Out than Cecil Taylor?

André Le Nôtre

hmmm, well I don't know then. If Sun Ra's Space is The Place and Pharoah Sanders' The Creator Has A Master Plan are too tame, then I'm at a loss. To me even Cecil Taylor (who I also like a great deal) sounds more conventional/tame than that stuff.

steve ridgway

Quote from: MN Dave on November 25, 2020, 12:32:33 PM
Does this mean I can start a brutal death metal thread?  :laugh:

I found some great brutal death metal on archive.org recently - Vögel from Iceland are my favourite of them. >:D

steve ridgway

T. D.

Brötzmann might very well fit the bill, apart from the "African-American" stip.  ;)

Artem

It's actually Hamid Drake who is the star of that disk to me, but all in all there's no point separating jazz music into ethic groups.

I found Thurston Moore's list of free jazz favourites very useful when I first encountered it. It really has some of the wildest stuff on it. Check it out, if you haven't seen it before: https://rootstrata.com/rootblog/?p=1801

Scion7

Quote from: Artem on November 26, 2020, 11:54:52 PM
... but all in all there's no point separating jazz music into ethic groups.

Oh, I know several black Jazz critics/writers who would take you to pound for that one!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Artem

Oh, absolutely. But, I'm simply suggesting not to limit the discovery of music to one country.

Alek Hidell

Well, again leaving aside the "African American" part, here are three to try:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Trazom H Cab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZSw73DLq-0&ab_channel=Ygreeq
Of course, there's Naked City which is composed of jazz musicians as Bill Frissell on guitar, Wayne Horvath on keyboards and Joey Barron on drums.  John Zorn plays sax, Fred Frith plays bass and Yamatake Eye does all the shrieking.  There are no African-Americans involved here that I know of but it would certainly be interesting if there was.