The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

The Ragtime Parlor

(1/5) > >>

schnittkease:
I know, not jazz per se, but an important predecessor of it. Regarded by some as the first distinctly American form of music.

I've been getting to know ragtime over the past couple months - not just the "Big Three," but some popular songs as well. So far Gussie L. Davis with his tearjerkers haven't disappointed, and a few pre-1922 Irving Berlin hits are pleasant. Not into any particular singer(s) at the moment, just composers and their respective works.

As I'm still learning, I thought it would be a decent idea to set up this thread as a place to discuss ragtime. When I learn of new pieces that I like especially I will post them here.

Oh, and let's try to stay away from "coon songs."   

San Antone:
Love ragtime.  I've got a couple of books on it (history, major figures) that I haven't read much in so far, but it ties in with my interest in early jazz.

Looking forward to a discussion and hearing about your journal through the music.

8)

schnittkease:

--- Quote from: Marcabru on March 26, 2018, 10:35:34 AM ---Love ragtime.  I've got a couple of books on it (history, major figures) that I haven't read much in so far, but it ties in with my interest in early jazz.

Looking forward to a discussion and hearing about your journal through the music.

--- End quote ---

Glad to hear it!

schnittkease:
One of my recent discoveries is Cataract Rag by Robert Hampton. In many places it seems to blend ragtime in classical - take the flowing arpeggiated passages, for example. Although the composer seems to have had only three published works, this is definitely one of the more substantial rags out there.

torut:

--- Quote from: schnittkease on March 27, 2018, 10:20:56 AM ---One of my recent discoveries is Cataract Rag by Robert Hampton. In many places it seems to blend ragtime in classical - take the flowing arpeggiated passages, for example. Although the composer seems to have had only three published works, this is definitely one of the more substantial rags out there.

--- End quote ---

This is very good and interesting, thank you. That passages sound like a part of piano work by a Romantic composer.

On the youtube page, I found a rag composition by the pianist, Aaron Robinson, called Bluet Rag (The New England Ragtime Suite II), a beautiful piece. According to cdbaby, it has been called one of the "best contemporary rags ever written".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1RBj04YPUg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version