Taneyev: Complete string quartets?

Started by Omicron9, April 22, 2018, 10:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omicron9

Greetings.

Apologies if this has been previously discussed; I did a search, but turned up nothing.

I have been seeking a set of recordings of the complete Taneyev string quartets.  Seems like a prime target for Brilliant Classics; alas, no.  Naxos has, based on amazon.com, three CDs of his complete quartets, numbered as vols. 3, 4, 5.  Vols. 1 and 2 appear to be OOP.  Naxos' website shows vols 1 - 5, but they've not gathered them together into a box set, and  no indication that I can see that vols. 1 - 2 are or are not OOP.

I'm mildly surprised that I can't locate a complete box set; then again, maybe it's never existed. 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Anecdotes?

TIA,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Brian

Not sure a box set exists. I only know of two complete recordings, one on the Northern Flowers label featuring (surprise) the Taneyev Quartet - I think those are from the 80s? And the other from Naxos. Naxos discs almost never go out of print - you just have to be a little more resourceful finding them. Vol. 2 is on sale at NaxosDirect.com (which the label owns) while, if you are in the USA, you should also try ArkivMusic, ImportCDs, or Amazon Marketplace.

The complete Taneyev quintets HAVE been released together on Supraphon, if you want those. The piano quintet is a major masterpiece and your collection could easily do with two versions of it if you agree with me!

Omicron9

Yes, after posting, I did see the full set by the Taneyev Quartet.  As it's not a box set, it would be a pricey investment.  Didn't know about the complete quintets; I've located the Supraphone recording, and also see another complete quintets set by the Taneyev (augmented) Quartet.  Thanks for that.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Cato

The Carpe Diem String Quartet (based here in Ohio) has all the string quartets (or do they? See the review on Amazon below)  on NAXOS:

[asin]B01MQ5Q8OS[/asin]

As far as I know, there is no single-box packaging yet.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)