Are there any vocalists here?

Started by arpeggio, April 21, 2018, 09:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

Are there any professional vocalist here?

There is a young singer in another forum who is looking for advice.  As an instrumentalist I could not help her.

North Star

Zamyrabird teaches singing, I think.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

LKB

I have been singing professionally since the 1970's, with my peak during the '90's. Operatic bass-baritone.

Note that this has been a small-time, part-time career, shared with composing, part-time conducting and, until the mid-nineties, playing the oboe.

I am certainly not famous, except perhaps locally. While I've thought about teaching voice at times, I've only tried to help a few singers with specific challenges. But l am willing to assist if she is interested.

8),

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: North Star on April 21, 2018, 09:25:41 AM
Zamyrabird teaches singing, I think.

Hi, I was the supremely irritating student voice teachers hate to have because every other word coming from me was "Why"? I therefore assembled quite a library on vocal theory and practice in order to answer questions that didn't seem to bother those who had a holistic grasp but not necessarily able to convey in words how to do it.

I started with teaching women at least 3 decades back since their problems were similar to mine. I asked my singing teacher in the mid 90's, Solomon Khromchenko, a tenor soloist from the Bolshoi, if I could try men's voices and he said go for it, giving me some tips.

It's hard to advise anyone without actually listening to them, but I am interested in hearing the questions, at least.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds