vandermolen

Distracting myself at work  ::)

Any thoughts on this?

I dont have very strong views on favourites but, let me see:

Symphony 1 (my favourite) Ormandy/Sony

Symphony 2 (complete version) Ashkenazy/Decca

Symphony 3 Previn/EMI

[asin]B000026026[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

I have only one complete cycle, Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw. As I don't have any other recordings of Nos 1 & 3 I suppose they have to count as my favourites. Periodically, I keep thinking about trying other versions but never get round to it.

I have several versions of No 2 including Previn/LSO which is highly regarded, not sure it is my favourite though. The first recording I ever bought was Boult/LPO, a secondhand LP from a market stall and I still have a soft spot for it. I heard Rattle conduct a stunning performance with LPO, his recording with the LAPO doesn't live up to the no doubt flawed memory of the live event. Ormandy is fine in this work but preferably the uncut 1973 recording. The most modern version I have is from Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra, I remember it being a fine performance but haven't, as yet, returned to it after the first listening.

On balance, I go for Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on April 27, 2018, 01:58:07 AM
I have only one complete cycle, Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw. As I don't have any other recordings of Nos 1 & 3 I suppose they have to count as my favourites. Periodically, I keep thinking about trying other versions but never get round to it.

I have several versions of No 2 including Previn/LSO which is highly regarded, not sure it is my favourite though. The first recording I ever bought was Boult/LPO, a secondhand LP from a market stall and I still have a soft spot for it. I heard Rattle conduct a stunning performance with LPO, his recording with the LAPO doesn't live up to the no doubt flawed memory of the live event. Ormandy is fine in this work but preferably the uncut 1973 recording. The most modern version I have is from Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra, I remember it being a fine performance but haven't, as yet, returned to it after the first listening.

On balance, I go for Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw.

Thank you. I also like Previn's LSO No. 2 and Boult's Decca recording of Symphony 3. As for more modern version I like Pletnev's recording of Symphony1 on DGG with 'The Isle of the Dead' - a fine CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on April 27, 2018, 02:53:17 AM
Thank you. I also like Previn's LSO No. 2 and Boult's Decca recording of Symphony 3. As for more modern version I like Pletnev's recording of Symphony1 on DGG with 'The Isle of the Dead' - a fine CD.

Pletnev makes a magnificent case for that work!  The Isle of the Dead: I still prefer the old Ormandy/Philadephia Orchestra which I can only find via NAXOS Classical Archive.

Don't forget The Bells!  I invested in both the Ashkenazy (odd engineering and singing to my ears) and Charles Dutoit (better, but lacking "oomph" at the necessary moments) performances, and do not find that they come close to this one: one of Svetlanov's last concerts!

https://www.youtube.com/v/a2ZueKpT0Cc

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Draško

Don't have strong preferences for 1 & 3, though I think composer himself in 3rd should be heard.

Favorite 2nd is Bychkov with Orchestre de Paris on Philips, others I like are any of the numerous Svetlanov's and Gergiev's first with Mariinsky (Kirov) on Philips also.

Sergeant Rock

Of the three cycles I have I'd pick Rozhdestvensky (the other two are Ashkenazy and Litton)

Individual symphonies:

1 - Ashkenazy/Concertegebouw
2 - Rozhdestvensky/LSO (also like Slatkin/Detroit and Bychkov/Paris)
3 - Golovanov/Great SO All-Union

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

PerfectWagnerite

NOT a big fan of #1. For 2 and 3 my first recordings and still my favorite are De Waart/Rotterdam. Perfect pacing as if entire movements are long phrases. Probably not as dark as others but very crisp and transparent.

The Slatkin/Detroit set is very fine also but a bit less freely played and at times too deliberate for me.

Mirror Image

My choices...

Symphony No. 2 - Rozhdestvensky/LSO, Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw
Symphony No. 3 - Stokowski/National Phil.

I never could get into the first symphony, but I don't listen to Rachmaninov much these days and when I do, it's usually one of his PCs, chamber, or piano works.

Daverz

I'd go for Litton/Bergen for 2.

http://www.eclassical.com/labels/bis/rachmaninov-symphony-no2-2.html

Richard Kaplan surveyed a huge number of recordings of 2 for Fanfare and his top 3 were this Litton, Zinman and Noseda.

BTW, that Ormandy set is really good, despite the cuts in No. 2.  Ormandy did record No. 2 without the cuts.  Available, if a bit pricey, on an ArkivCD:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=217504

aukhawk

Symphonic Dances - Gergiev.  (Although with Ashkenazy you get an ideal coupling - with The Isle of the Dead.)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 27, 2018, 07:51:06 PM
My choices...

Symphony No. 2 - Rozhdestvensky/LSO, Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw
Symphony No. 3 - Stokowski/National Phil.

I never could get into the first symphony, but I don't listen to Rachmaninov much these days and when I do, it's usually one of his PCs, chamber, or piano works.

That Stokowsi performance is very good and I too enjoy Litton's cycle.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on April 27, 2018, 08:04:11 PM
I'd go for Litton/Bergen for 2.

http://www.eclassical.com/labels/bis/rachmaninov-symphony-no2-2.html

Richard Kaplan surveyed a huge number of recordings of 2 for Fanfare and his top 3 were this Litton, Zinman and Noseda.

BTW, that Ormandy set is really good, despite the cuts in No. 2.  Ormandy did record No. 2 without the cuts.  Available, if a bit pricey, on an ArkivCD:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=217504

Thanks for that - totally agree about Ormandy.

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 27, 2018, 05:15:43 AM
Of the three cycles I have I'd pick Rozhdestvensky (the other two are Ashkenazy and Litton)

Individual symphonies:

1 - Ashkenazy/Concertegebouw
2 - Rozhdestvensky/LSO (also like Slatkin/Detroit and Bychkov/Paris)
3 - Golovanov/Great SO All-Union

Sarge
I like Golavonov's versions of both 2 and 3. I'm sorry that he never recorded Miaskovsky's 6th Symphony as he conducted the legendary premiere.

George

[asin]B000026026[/asin]

I really like this one, it was one of my very first classical CDs that I bought.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Cato

Quote from: George on July 29, 2018, 05:00:44 PM

[asin]B000026026[/asin]

I really like this one, it was one of my very first classical CDs that I bought.

Amen! 

Ormandy was to Rachmaninov as Bruno Walter was to Mahler.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Maestro267

I've got the St. Petersburg/Jansons box with the symphonies and piano concertos, so that fills Nos. 1 & 3. However, I also have LSO/Previn's No. 2 and prefer that.