The Greatest Recording Ever Made: 1st Poll for Bruckner

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, April 27, 2018, 01:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whittling the nominations for "GREM / GROAT" down.

Bruckner 5, Klemperer, New Phil, EMI
Bruckner 5, Celibidache, MPhil, EMI
Bruckner 5, Jochum, RCO, "Ottobeuren", Philips
Bruckner 6, Keilberth, BPh, Teldec
Bruckner 6, Haitink, Dresden, Profil
Bruckner 7, Karajan, Vienna, DG  
Bruckner 8, Böhm, Vienna, DG
Bruckner 8, Wand, BPh, RCA
Bruckner 8, Wand, NDRSO, "Lubeck Cathedral", RCA
Bruckner 9, Giulini, Vienna, DG
Bruckner 9, Haitink II, RCO, Philips

SurprisedByBeauty

This is supplemental to the ongoing  "The Greatest Recording Ever Made" thread.
I'm not trying to figure out the greatest Bruckner recording ... I'm just trying to eliminate some of the recordings for the big list from contention.

I was thinking brackets, but that's not really necessary. Many votes go one, few votes don't. This is preliminary.

I took the liberty to add a few performances to the list we already had. But I had to stop myself... because why not include Boulez 8 and Sinopoli 5 and Jochum RCO last concert 5 and whatnot.

EDIT Accidentally hit enter and posted this. Can I change the number of votes people have afterwards? (No, but one can delete the poll and create a new one.)

mc ukrneal

Well, my favorite recording of all time is the Bruckner 9 Haitink (the second one on Philips - not the one made with the cycle). It is beautifully recorded and performed. After that, the Bruckner 8 Wand BPO would probably be next. Perhaps the Karajan 7.  I have the Haitink 6 on the list, but I think 9 is far better.

I wasn't clear if I should post here or whether you were going to start another thread.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Biffo

Although the list contains some of my favourite Bruckner conductors - Haitink, Giulini, Jochum and Klemperer - none of them were there for my favourite recordings from them. In the end I only voted for Karajan and the Vienna No 7.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 27, 2018, 01:51:59 AM
Well, my favorite recording of all time is the Bruckner 9 Haitink (the second one on Philips - not the one made with the cycle). It is beautifully recorded and performed. After that, the Bruckner 8 Wand BPO would probably be next. Perhaps the Karajan 7.  I have the Haitink 6 on the list, but I think 9 is far better.

I wasn't clear if I should post here or whether you were going to start another thread.

This one?

#morninglistening to #Haitink & @RCOamsterdam in #Bruckner on
@DeccaClassics

: http://a-fwd.to/8bdu7QK

- his 1981 recording of the #9th #Symphony.

Draško

From that list Bohm 8th (DG), Keilberth 6th and Haitink Dresden 6th.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Well, my favorite recording of all time is the Bruckner 9 Haitink (the second one on Philips - not the one made with the cycle). It is beautifully recorded and performed.

Seconded (or thirded), which makes its relative non-availability puzzling. I have it in an LP box with his 8th, also excellent and hard to find.

I think Bruno Walter should be on there - certainly his 9 and possibly his 4 as well. And the Klemperer 6th.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

André

Quote from: Draško on April 27, 2018, 04:22:57 AM
From that list Bohm 8th (DG), Keilberth 6th and Haitink Dresden 6th.

+1 for the first two, Klemperer's 5th for the last spot  ;)

Daverz

I'd go for Haitink's latest BRSO recording of 6.

So the only one I might agree on is the Haitink 9.

My greatest might be:

4: Klemperer/BRSO
5: Karajan, Kempe (XRCD)
6: Celibidache/EMI, Haitink/BRSO
7: Karajan/EMI, Rosbaud (Zyx transfer)
8: not sure
9: Schuricht

I think the rule for Böhm is that he was better in concert, but I haven't compared the different recordings, at least the ones I can find.

I'd like to get my hands on the Zurich Tonhalle recording on Palexa:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/bruckner-symphonie-no-8-mw0001858004

More on the various Böhm recordings here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29.msg350218.html#msg350218

Baron Scarpia

I've only heard one of the records listed, and I don't like it.  (Bohm 8th, VPO).

:(

Cato

How about Jochum for all of them, Wand also for the SixthRattle's   completed Ninth ?

I know: you are trying to whittle them down, and here I go "whittling" them up!  ???
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

betterthanfine

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on April 27, 2018, 06:03:15 AM
Seconded (or thirded), which makes its relative non-availability puzzling. I have it in an LP box with his 8th, also excellent and hard to find.

If it's the 1981 recording, it's in this boxset:

[asin]B00DI5BS8M[/asin]

I'll schedule a listening session for this weekend, since so many of you think highly of it.

SurprisedByBeauty

Interesting. So far, I think, this might have been partly mistaken as a "Greatest Bruckner Recording" poll... when I just wanted to take a few recordings of the "TGREM"(TM) list and narrow it down.

I might change that for the next preliminary poll.

So far, Guilini's Vienna 9th is the front runner. A classic... and overrated, like a classic SHOULD be. But the votes that Karajan got in the "TGREM"(TM) list suddenly aren't there anymore. That's weird.

And no one nominated the Luebeck/Wand recording? Yes, also overrated, but long considered one of those mythical great Bruckner recordings.

Once we have a few more voters, I'll start cutting a few under-performing choices.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Karajan's Bruckner is okay, but I haven't yet seen his recordings regarded as in the same league as Wand or Jochum, who are rightly revered. I do love that beauty and cohesion in the orchestral sound, but this aspect is only one thing that makes Jochum so wonderful to listen to.

Cato

Quote from: jessop on April 27, 2018, 04:22:59 PM
Karajan's Bruckner is okay, but I haven't yet seen his recordings regarded as in the same league as Wand or Jochum, who are rightly revered. I do love that beauty and cohesion in the orchestral sound, but this aspect is only one thing that makes  0:) Jochum  0:) so wonderful to listen to.

Amen, brother, amen! 0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Ken B

Oddly I have never heard Haitink's 9, so I will seek it out. I have heard little of his cycle.

André

Quote from: Daverz on April 27, 2018, 01:47:54 PM
I'd go for Haitink's latest BRSO recording of 6.

So the only one I might agree on is the Haitink 9.

My greatest might be:

4: Klemperer/BRSO
5: Karajan, Kempe (XRCD)
6: Celibidache/EMI, Haitink/BRSO
7: Karajan/EMI, Rosbaud (Zyx transfer)
8: not sure
9: Schuricht

I think the rule for Böhm is that he was better in concert, but I haven't compared the different recordings, at least the ones I can find.

I'd like to get my hands on the Zurich Tonhalle recording on Palexa:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/bruckner-symphonie-no-8-mw0001858004

More on the various Böhm recordings here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29.msg350218.html#msg350218

Thanks for finding the exact spot, Daverz. I recalled vaguely having written on the subject but didn't have the patience to look at my old posts  :P.

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on April 27, 2018, 02:10:30 PM
How about Jochum for all of them, Wand also for the SixthRattle's   completed Ninth ?

I know: you are trying to whittle them down, and here I go "whittling" them up!  ???

KISS: Karajan and Jochum twice  :). And Stan Skrow.

Did nobody nominate Skrowaczewski?

aukhawk

Quote from: jessop on April 27, 2018, 04:22:59 PM
Karajan's Bruckner is okay, but I haven't yet seen his recordings regarded as in the same league as Wand or Jochum, who are rightly revered. I do love that beauty and cohesion in the orchestral sound, but this aspect is only one thing that makes Jochum so wonderful to listen to.

Conversely, there's a strident edge to the sound of the Wand recordings on RCA that makes them unlistenable, to my ears.