The Greatest Recording Ever Made: 2nd Poll for Miscellaneous Works

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, April 28, 2018, 12:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these recordings do you deem a contender for "The Greatest Recording Ever Made"?

The Three Tenors in Concert, Decca
Swing, Swing, Swing the 1938 broadcast _ I
Boulez, Repons, DG
Adams, Shaker Loops, Alsop, Naxos
Paert, Tabula Rasa, ECM
Gorecki, Third Symphony, Upshaw/Zinam, Nonesuch
L. Andriessen, De Staat (De Leeuw)
Philip Glass, Einstein on the Beach, CBS
Glass, 20 Piano Etudes, Batagov, Orange Mountain.
Messiaen, Turangalila, Wit, Naxos

SurprisedByBeauty

Let's have it.

! If you're new to the discussion of which this is a subthread, you can follow it here.

Biffo

I can't bring myself to vote for any of this stuff. A different recording of the Messiaen, ie. one I had heard (no reflection on Wit), might have elicited a vote.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Biffo on April 28, 2018, 01:09:09 AM
I can't bring myself to vote for any of this stuff. A different recording of the Messiaen, ie. one I had heard (no reflection on Wit), might have elicited a vote.

No votes are good, too! Clarifies just about as much. And I tend to agree; most of those are a reach for inclusion among TGREM.

These were largely picked by GMG members as potential TGREMs. I think that a few of them are certainly iconic. If it's enough for TGREM-consideration, I don't know, either. Others I don't know at all or don't care for.

vandermolen

I'm afraid that none appeal to me either. I like the Gorecki but not in that recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I don't think any of these are particularly 'the greatest recording' but Répons, Einstein and Turangalîla are pretty great to me. It's a good Turangalîla, that Wit one. Also, the Boulez and Glass are probably standout recordings for specific reasons that other recordings can't really be compared to.....

Mandryka

What's not to like about The Three Tenors in concert?  By Jens's standards it's probably the greatest recording ever made. Top singers all on good form, top quality music of its kind, big sales. It had a brief social impact - it made 19th century Italian opera songs momentarily more democratic.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aukhawk

Same problem.  I'm very fond of Shaker Loops but I'm not familiar with that recording.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: aukhawk on April 28, 2018, 09:58:54 AM
Same problem.  I'm very fond of Shaker Loops but I'm not familiar with that recording.

It's a really fine recording of those works -- but I would agree that it doesn't nearly have proper TGREM status. Helped make Alsop's name, though.

snyprrr

Professionally speaking, the Gorecki, 3 Tenors,... the Feldman/Kronos disc,... the Kronos/Africa(?) disc,... yes, these were all hailed as the Messiahs to save Classical Music Sales.

I remember Philip Glass making a Big splash with his Operas...

lol,... Tomita? :laugh:

I would have to say that the Gorecki disc did more for CMS than anyth,... oh, wait,...

BOCELLI!!!!

surely a 'Planets' out there making the GROAT??? Orff? Rite?

IT MUUUST BE 20TH CENTURY MUSIC!!!!!