Alessandro Scarlatti (1660-1725)

Started by 71 dB, May 01, 2018, 09:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Alessandro Scarlatti (1660-1725)

One of my favorite baroque composers, A. Scarlatti, the father of Domenico, seems to lack his own composer thread so I decided to make one. I am in no way an expert of this composer, but I enjoy very everything I hear from him and to my ears his music appears of very high quality comparable to the greatest of baroque masters. I have always felt Alessandro Scarlatti being somewhat overlooked and forgotten in the shadow of his son.

I find Alessandro's music beautiful and sparkly with nice complexity and clarity. I find his music addictive. CPO has a lot of A. Scarletti. Nisi Dominus is the latest I bought and have listened to recently. Great! For some reason Amazon doesn't have it, JPC has.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

My first A. Scarlatti disc was this Harmonia Mundi release in it's original form in early 2000's. Very nice disc imo.
Good starting point for someone new to the composer.

[asin]B001M5AT9E[/asin]

Moonfish

This Brilliant Classics release seems to include a number of Alessandro Scarlatti's works.

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

71 dB

I have that on my wishlist. Definitely interested!  :P

Jo498

It's not the proper time of the year, but I'd recommend the Lamentations for Holy Week, a piece that is as good as the Stabat Mater settings by this composer (or by Pergolesi) but not very well known.

[asin]B004JP8O96[/asin]

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

I have several discs of Alessandro Scarlatti, but I don't remember the names of the works. I just enjoy the music. Not sure about Lamentations. Have to check...

Cantatas Bella Madre de fiori
Poi che riseppe Orfeo
Correa nel seno amato

I don't think I care to list all... Concerti...7 con flauto L'olimpia L'Arianna ...Su le sponde del Tebro --- Concerti e Sinfonia per flauto... I don't think I have lamentations... at lest that blue cd (only recordings?)

Just trying to post in music thread instead of politics thread (so fed up)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Jo498

Maybe there is another recording and there is probably an older or different issue from the blue one. The most recorded vocal work is probably the Stabat mater that is sometimes coupled with Pergolesi because it's for the same combination of singers. The Pergolesi was composed for the Cavalieri della Vergine dei Dolori di San Luigi al Palazzo, a Neapolitan religious lay brotherhood and they had also ordered the Scarlatti Stabat Mater a generation earlier.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on October 19, 2019, 10:18:31 AM
Maybe there is another recording and there is probably an older or different issue from the blue one. The most recorded vocal work is probably the Stabat mater that is sometimes coupled with Pergolesi because it's for the same combination of singers. The Pergolesi was composed for the Cavalieri della Vergine dei Dolori di San Luigi al Palazzo, a Neapolitan religious lay brotherhood and they had also ordered the Scarlatti Stabat Mater a generation earlier.

I did some exploring:

There seems to be a recording on OPUS 111 - Parlement de Musique / Martin Gester.
The Glossa release has been also released by Symphonia label with a "brown" cover art