Unknown 20th century orchestral work

Started by Dima, May 10, 2018, 08:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dima

Can somebody help me to recognize orchestral work of 20th century from this short fragment?
The file is attached.

Cato

Quote from: Dima on May 10, 2018, 08:11:25 AM
Can somebody help me to recognize orchestral work of 20th century from this short fragment?
Here you can play the file: https://yadi.sk/d/Ui_QyDv_EJXR2

It does not play.  Sorry!  I am not downloading it!  $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dima

Quote from: Cato on May 10, 2018, 08:25:20 AM
It does not play.  Sorry!  I am not downloading it!  $:)
Thank you, I have corrected the post and attached mp3 file.

relm1

Though I don't know what it is, it sounds soviet so possibly Armenian/Georgian/Russian, etc.  Probably post 1945 and pre 1975. 

Cato

Quote from: relm1 on May 10, 2018, 05:05:37 PM
Though I don't know what it is, it sounds soviet so possibly Armenian/Georgian/Russian, etc.  Probably post 1945 and pre 1975.

Agreed!  Khachaturian or a Khachaturian klone, etc.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Christo

Quote from: Cato on May 10, 2018, 05:26:46 PM
Not Khatchaturian, but definitely Soviet/Russian. Mid 20th century.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dima

Quote from: Cato on May 10, 2018, 05:26:46 PM
I hear that it sounds like him, but this does not help at all. I have not found this composition in Khachaturian music. I think it will be popular if it was his work.

Josquin13

I'd wager good money that Leonard Bernstein could answer your question--if he were still with us, as your music has a similarity to parts of Bernstein's Candide.  Therefore, I'd be surprised if Bernstein didn't know it.

But yes, it does sounds Soviet, & from the 1st half of the 20th century.  Given its dynamic, theatrical rhythms--could it be part of a ballet or some other work by Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky (or even Gliere?), if not by Khachaturian, I wonder?

some guy

Well, "definitely" has already been used once--and it is definitely not Soviet.

It's definitely, if I may be so bold as to use that word, Kodály.

Probably Peacock Variations, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Also could be one of the dances pieces, Dances of Galánta or Dances of Marosszék.

Dima

Quote from: some guy on July 02, 2018, 05:04:55 AM

Probably Peacock Variations, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Also could be one of the dances pieces, Dances of Galánta or Dances of Marosszék.

Very interesting music but it is not this piece (I have listened).

some guy

Well, you could do a lot worse than just listen to everything by u until you find it.

And even, in the the unlikely event that you don't, you've still had a lot of fun, eh?

(Kodály's output is not that large, btw.)

Christo

Quote from: some guy on July 02, 2018, 05:04:55 AM

Oh no, definitely not Kodály.  ;) ;D (I happen to know these pieces, actually all of his orchestral pieces (there are indeed not that many), and this is very different. Bernstein's Candide makes a better comparison, but I still think it stems from Soviet times.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

some guy

I definitely did not snag it when I listened to most of the Kodály that I have. Pfffft.

I'll be listening to the entire Hary Janos later today, because I can.

Anyway, what really bugs me about this clip is that the music is quite familiar to me. Has been for many years. And the doodle-oo bit after the soft part that follows that Khatchaturian-ish part sounds like nobody else but Kodály.

So where IS everybody here? And is there anybody for whom this is as familiar as it is to me.

I'm not losing any sleep, but this is seriously starting to annoy me. (A characteristic bit of Prokofiev's Sinfonia concertante floated into my head this morning. Took me at least an hour to identify it. Maybe my brain is just turning to mush, eh? Hey, it could happen.)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

There are several "Galops" by Khachaturian and Shostakovich that sound quite a lot like it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

relm1

Quote from: Madiel on July 12, 2018, 04:55:20 AM
There are several "Galops" by Khachaturian and Shostakovich that sound quite a lot like it.

But those are very distinctive composers with immediately recognizable fingerprints as is the case with Prokofiev.  They sound like no one else and even if its a work unknown to us, we'd recognize the composer as being them.  This work makes me think it is a little known composer but in similar time and place of either Soviet Union or Eastern Europe mid 20th century.

bwv 1080

Without digging around, is it maybe some of Schnittke's soundtrack music?

Madiel

Quote from: relm1 on July 12, 2018, 05:52:25 AM
They sound like no one else

Seriously? People line up to comment on the resemblance to Khachaturian and you claim he sounds like no-one else?

And when it comes to Shostakovich, we're talking here about the ballet music. Not the most inherently distinctive part of that composer's output either. In fact, given the trajectory of his career, I'd go so far as to say there are works by Shostakovich that don't especially sound like "Shostakovich".

The whole idea that composers have such "distinctive fingerprints" that they can't possibly be confused with anyone else is belied by the whole uncertain history of musicology. At the very least they risk being confused in the early parts of their career with their teachers and those they imitated, and later on they might be the teacher or person imitated.

When I tell you that there are several Galops by Khachaturian and Shostakovich that sound quite similar to the sound file, that's because I just did direct comparisons between this recording and recordings of Galops by Khachaturian and Shostakovich. I didn't make any declaration that it was actually a work by Khachaturian or Shostakovich. In fact, given that other people had already referred to those composers, the more significant point was that the piece might be a Galop.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

I find unknown composers and works (to me) irresistible. More often then not their lack of fame is deserved but occasionally a gem turns up which makes it all worthwhile. For a gem to turn up in garbage is something indeed! I have never heard of the Czech composer Ivan Rezac, and when I came across the odd title Sinfonietta "The Angel on the Garbage-Heath" I took a punt. A find of the year by a margin. My recording has Belohlavek conducting the Brno Philharmonic, I have found another on YouTube -
https://youtu.be/aME9uQWoXYc
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 20, 2018, 01:06:22 AM
I find unknown composers and works (to me) irresistible. More often then not their lack of fame is deserved but occasionally a gem turns up which makes it all worthwhile. For a gem to turn up in garbage is something indeed! I have never heard of the Czech composer Ivan Rezac, and when I came across the odd title Sinfonietta "The Angel on the Garbage-Heath" I took a punt. A find of the year by a margin. My recording has Belohlavek conducting the Brno Philharmonic, I have found another on YouTube -
https://youtu.be/aME9uQWoXYc

I have the old LP with that greatly titled work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).